Most common places that leak oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 kj with 90k is leaking oil and its dripping on the passenger side exaust and causing a faint burning smell throughout the cab. What is the most common spot to leak that would cause this because I keep having to top off my oil. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few people have with the same ? Check it is kinda common Tjkj knows what hes talking abought. I ditto what he says

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the bottom corners of the valve covers closest to the firewall drip right on to the cats and make for a nice 'aroma' in the cabin. I just replaced the drivers side on my '03 - and I will probably do the passenger side before long. That side will be tougher than the drivers side thanks to the coolant reservoir, heater core lines, air intake, etc. And those two back bolts - Oy :disgust:

BTW, use the OEM gaskets.

Bob

Jmoo27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine just started leaking as well, have to change the gaskets next weekend i suppose

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has developed a few small leaks in the last 20k miles...which is sad because she only has 109k on her. My TC leaks too....

Should probably fix all the leaks before my next deployment so it's in good shape for the wifey.

Kriszilla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently, it's a plague going around, because I have the exact same leak in the exact same place.

Is the OEM gasket set preferred or is there an aftermarket set that's just as good?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver side is leaking I think. Is it an easy job? I don't mind if it takes a long time to do, just want to know how easy it is. I'll check the how to section...

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had both of mine replaced at 120k figured if one is leaking they both are. when it was leaking it was negative 20 or so up here so i had a shop do it. i belive it only ran me $120 or so?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver side is leaking I think. Is it an easy job? I don't mind if it takes a long time to do, just want to know how easy it is. I'll check the how to section...

The driver's side is far easier - not a bad job at all. I disconnected all the coil packs, injector connections and a few vacuum hoses - biggest PITA were the classic Chrysler electrical connections with the sliding tabs. Those in the engine compartment become brittle and one of mine broke but not in a way that prevented me from reconnecting it. I also disconnected the electrical line going to the alternator so I could move a wire loom far enough to get the valve cover out.

You'll need a 10mm deep well socket for the valve cover bolts and maybe an extension. I went with the OEM gasket - no RTV or sealer necessary. Frankly I didn't trust an aftermarket gasket - don't know why. Just a feeling I had.

Now if/when I have to replace the passenger side gasket... :pp:

Bob

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the quick rundown. I think I might pick up the gaskets next week. Funny you mentioned wire loom, I need to replace all of mine. Most of it is brittle and falling apart...kinda like the connectors. I might go with colored loom just to be different. Maybe I'll paint my valve covers too....