most common engine issues with CRD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at a non-running 05 CRD tomorrow. I haven't had my hands on one, so no experience. 140k miles, but towed behind a camper, so engine miles probably around 90k.

Timing belt I imagine? issues bending/breaking valves, rockers, bridges? I'm not new to jeep diesels as I own an 86 comanche with a 2.1 renault turbo diesel that had a bad belt (interference motor), two bridges, and two rockers.

not worried about replacing rockers etc., but don't want to pull a head and deal with anything that far internal on one. timing it won't be an issue, I can do that.

Just looking for common issues.

-Pat

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at a non-running 05 CRD tomorrow. I haven't had my hands on one, so no experience. 140k miles, but towed behind a camper, so engine miles probably around 90k.

Timing belt I imagine? issues bending/breaking valves, rockers, bridges? I'm not new to jeep diesels as I own an 86 comanche with a 2.1 renault turbo diesel that had a bad belt (interference motor), two bridges, and two rockers.

not worried about replacing rockers etc., but don't want to pull a head and deal with anything that far internal on one. timing it won't be an issue, I can do that.

-Pat

Dude you find all the best deals on KJ's

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any CRD I get I will be keeping. I want one for myself. My dad gets our silver Limited. the blue one I bought yesterday is going to be sold.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-Pat

Surely if you tow the vehicle the odometer will not turn over as it is an electric pickup that senses speed?

In other words...if the odometer shows 140k miles then that is how many miles it has traveled under its own power.

Timing belt needs changing at 100k miles so that is probably what has gone...the rocker arms are designed to break off if there is interference so hopefully not too much damage but you need to pull the head.

CRD has wet sleeves so even a seized piston is fixable.

Best to go to Lostjeeps for CRD issues.:icon_rolleyes:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, miles still increase while being towed with the key in the "on" position even if the engine is off. you have to leave it in the "on" position while flat towing so that it can turn with the camper. It has to increase with key on if there is a battery in the system. voltage to the ECU and whatnot.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I believe it is just rockers and perhaps lifters in the same go, obvious fluid change and timing belt. I have the owner down quite a bit under their asking price, and am estimating around $1000 in parts, plus specialty tools and my time.. then of course once running it will need a lift, tires, and rims as stock liberties are not exactly manly looking...even if they're diesel.

CreepinTJ

Reaction score
In my experience, my EGR valve has failed twice in the 5 years Ive owned it as well as the fuel filter sensors.

etershi

Reaction score
can anyone tell me, are there differences 2.5 vs 2.8 CRD? can I change my 2.5 CRD engine with 2.8 CRD, without any Alteration.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me, are there differences 2.5 vs 2.8 CRD? can I change my 2.5 CRD engine with 2.8 CRD, without any Alteration.

You can change your old 2.5 CRD engine with an old 2.8 CRD motor without much problems. By this I mean if you get one of the early Export 2.8 CRD engines up to 2004.....the engine with a fixed-vane turbo as appossed to the newer 2005/2006 2.8 CRD engine with a variable vane turbo....then this older 2.8 engine will work....you may need some ECU re-programming!

To get a variable vane turbo engine to work in your old 2.5 CRD would mean replacing the harness and the ECU.:shrug: