More Muffler Questions

Which Muffler?

• Flowmaster

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Magnaflow

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going back to work in a few weeks after I graduate and will be able to start looking at Jeep mods again. The first thing I am looking at getting is a new muffler. I want the added power, sound, and fuel economy for the Jeep. However, I'm doing some research and what dimensions do I need for the Jeep? I don't want to lose ground clearance from it. Also, which provides a deeper, throatier, not ricey sound? The Flowmaster or the Magnaflow?

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out my other post for the link to the sound clip of mine with the magnaflow.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32266

the first link in that post will take u to the post with the model number of the magnaflow i got. hope ya enjoy the clip and it helps you in your decision.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for Flowmaster, cheaper and sounds just as good if not better...at least on everything else I've had before the KJ. :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive always wanted a muffler but I dont want to buy some without hearing it. Gibson seems to sound good..

The videos weren't enough? I thought Magnaflow sounded pretty good on those few videos we've had here..

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Magnaflow site used to have a specific Jeep Liberty sound clip listed. That said, I've never seen any real documented results that any of the exhausts alone give our Libs much more than a different sound, no real improvements past that. I did pick up quite a bit of clearance when I put the Flowmaster 40 Delta on the CRD. I mounted the shorter muffler back where the rear cut was on the existing muffler which put it closer to the rear wheels so it rises up as you travel over something, I also have about 18 inches of just a straighter run pipe up front that improves clearance.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Flowmaster 40 on mine. I posted a video a while back but now the embedded link isn't working in that thread. Here is a link to the video (YouTube). It doesn't sound bad, but it does resonate pretty badly at about 1.5k RPM. It was $90 installed, so that was another reason I got the Flowmaster.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, so far, I am liking the sound of the Magnaflow over the Flowmaster 40. It justs sounds less like a Honda to me. However, I am still looking for some clips of the Gibson and possibly a 50 series. Thanks so much for all the input everyone.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, so far, I am liking the sound of the Magnaflow over the Flowmaster 40. It justs sounds less like a Honda to me. However, I am still looking for some clips of the Gibson and possibly a 50 series. Thanks so much for all the input everyone.
I remember seeing a video a while back of a white limited with a Flowmaster 50, but I think it was over on LOST.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster sounds a bit too high.
Need low and rumbly sound! I think someone posted a camaro or something they were driving.. or corvette.. it was here somewhere. Now, that's great sound..

ogfalcon

Reaction score
Flowmaster sounds a bit too high.
Need low and rumbly sound! I think someone posted a camaro or something they were driving.. or corvette.. it was here somewhere. Now, that's great sound..

The Gibson has a low and rumbly sound. I'll take a vid of my Liberty today and post it. I checked all the exhausts/mufflers when I made my decision, and the Gibson had the best sound for the money, in my opinion. I think I paid less than $200 for the full aluminized Gibson exhaust and it only took 45 minutes to install. You could simply buy the Gibson muffler, but I though the price was too good to pass up for a full system (especially since my stock pipe was already rusted pretty bad.)

Last edited: