Mopar tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyrat

Reaction score
Well I was interested in placing some recovery points on the Jeep. Last weekend I installed a round tube Curtis hitch on the rear. It lined right up, 4 bolts and I was done. I had also ordered and just recieved some Mopar tow hooks. I did a Google search and found a kit for $84 plus $12 shipping. The kit I got lists for over $100 and was listed for my 2006 Jeep Liberty. I still paid more than I wanted but I hoped they would line up and I wouldn't have to drill holes or anything. It did and turned out to be a very nice kit.

Here is the kit I recieved.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was an easy install, 20 minutes tops...

I noticed that it looks like the bumper has cutouts for where the hooks go. I didn't do anything with them yet.

This morning I mounted the bike rack on the new hitch and piled on 4 bikes. I took the family to the Owosso bicycle trail that follows the river and we had a great time.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would cut the tabs out on the bumper. I used one of those very small and think hack saw blades and took my time with it. Also, I would put painters tape on your bumper to help protect it since yours is painted.

I once had 5 bikes on a rack sized for only 3 lol. I put 3 on the rack and laid the other 2 on top of them. then strapped it all together. It was beautiful :).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. You need to cut out those "cutouts" on the bumper for towstrap clearance. A dremil with a cutting bit will go through the plastic bumper like a hot knife through butter. That's what I used on mine.

Dave

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"This morning I mounted the bike rack on the new hitch and piled on 4 bikes. I took the family to the Owosso bicycle trail that follows the river and we had a great time."

Looks like it might be time to look into (or make) some type of rack for the top. then you could split the bikes up - 2 on top - 2 on the tire...

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to get those hooks for my deep Beryl Green 2006 limited, I was trying to picture how they fit and what needed cut out. thanks for pisting pics!

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was interested in placing some recovery points on the Jeep. Last weekend I installed a round tube Curtis hitch on the rear. It lined right up, 4 bolts and I was done. I had also ordered and just recieved some Mopar tow hooks. I did a Google search and found a kit for $84 plus $12 shipping. The kit I got lists for over $100 and was listed for my 2006 Jeep Liberty. I still paid more than I wanted but I hoped they would line up and I wouldn't have to drill holes or anything. It did and turned out to be a very nice kit.

Here is the kit I recieved.

It was an easy install, 20 minutes tops...

I noticed that it looks like the bumper has cutouts for where the hooks go. I didn't do anything with them yet.

This morning I mounted the bike rack on the new hitch and piled on 4 bikes. I took the family to the Owosso bicycle trail that follows the river and we had a great time.

Have you used the hooks for recovery yet? how did they hold up? I have to find a way to mount them as i bought a used set with no m bolts...

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems several of you know enough about Jeeps to carry emergency transportation!:gr_grin:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you used the hooks for recovery yet? how did they hold up? I have to find a way to mount them as i bought a used set with no m bolts...

With the exception of one or two , most haven't been on here in years
so don't hold your breath waiting for a response.
:icon_lol:
But you need the bolt kit to mount them. The "m" bolts woul tear through the metal in some cases if pulled hard or from side pulls

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was winched out of a mud hole with the factory set up (using grade 10.8 bolts) and using only one hook. The steel of the frame didn't tear, but it most certainly bent the hook upward. I would suggest using some sort of Y strap to distribute the load across both hooks.

I also did not have the M bolt. I got mine used off of a Jeep with the factory kit installed. It comes with a plate with bolt threads on it if I remember correctly. Just like these: http://mimages.homedns.org/hooks.gif

I took my bumper off for installation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online