Mopar (OEM) Hella 500 fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'05 Renegade here w/'from the factory' Hella 500 Fogs up front. Looking for covers/stone guards for them. Mopar store, parts catalogue, dealership no luck. New (retail) Hella 500 fogs (from Hella) come w/guards (and you can also purch the covers separately) but they will not fit the OEM Renny fogs. The Hellas that came on the Renny 'from the factory' are a 'beefier'/better/more heavy duty design. The Hella 500s you can purchase retail are not the same and their covers will not fit the nicer(IMO) Mopar Hellas. I only want Hella brand covers. Not a big deal, but if anyone knows if you can get stone guards for the OEM Hella 500s lmk please. I must be missing something here - lol. Thx

Last edited:

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about those sheets of urethane like they use for cell phone skins? I just don't know how they would deal with the heat.

Edit: if I can find the half sheet I got I can mail it to you and I can try it out. It wouldn't cover the entire light but it would be enough to test it out.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a company that makes adhesive rock chip guards for lights like the Hella's. Not sure how much protection they would provide, small stuff probably ok, larger rocks or road debris and its likely to break the lens anyway.

I'm sure Hella made them for Chrysler without designing any covers to fit them, etc. I'm sure they figured the owner would want to use the lights and didnt think about that aspect like we do.

I don't know anyone around here with the stock Renegade lights or i would look at them in person and think about fabricating something.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh hold on i missed the link above. Looked at the pictures, the one of the side shot shows its all. The housing is more like a dish shape, flat side that goes back a ways before rounding off to the back. Hmmm...

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a company that makes adhesive rock chip guards for lights like the Hella's. Not sure how much protection they would provide, small stuff probably ok, larger rocks or road debris and its likely to break the lens anyway.

I'm sure Hella made them for Chrysler without designing any covers to fit them, etc. I'm sure they figured the owner would want to use the lights and didnt think about that aspect like we do.

I don't know anyone around here with the stock Renegade lights or i would look at them in person and think about fabricating something.

Thanks for the info peeps. Yeah, I really like the fogs that Hella made for our jeeps a lot better than the regular HELLA 500 product. I shouldn't admit it, but... I'm after the "Hella Logo" fog covers as much for looks as protection - lol.

I already have the clear mylar(sp?) I can use for protection.

You can get the Hella lenses separately from classicgarage.com, but they're $40 plus each!! You can get a whole set of 500's (incl two Hella covers) for $70 @ Walmart...., use the lenses and have some spare parts left over - lol. That's what I did..., and that's how I discovered the difference in the lamps and that the covers are not compatable, Grrrrr.

I have PM'd MOPARPARTSGUY this site for help. Hope he posts something. Thx

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You can get the Hella lenses separately from classicgarage.com, but they're $40 plus each!! You can get a whole set of 500's (incl two Hella covers) for $70 @ Walmart...., use the lenses and have some spare parts left over - lol. That's what I did..., and that's how I discovered the difference.

Thats good info, better than the option I took ... smash into a concrete median, and get insurance to cover the new light :D

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
The stock Hella's on the Renegades are not 500's. They were at the time closed productions sold to Jeep only, designed specifically for the Liberty Renegade. That's why they have a specific mounting bracket and bezel design so that regular Hella's and other lights can't directly replace them.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock Hella's on the Renegades are not 500's. They were at the time closed productions sold to Jeep only, designed specifically for the Liberty Renegade. That's why they have a specific mounting bracket and bezel design so that regular Hella's and other lights can't directly replace them.

Interesting..., thank you for the tutorial!! Do you happen to know if replacement parts (and covers, if Hella actually made covers for these fogs) are available from Mopar, or?? Thx

Luke (post #9),
Where did your ins co get your replacement(s) after you wrecked your fogs? Thx

Last edited:

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use lamin-x on my lights. I've never used it on my Hella 500's so I don't know how it would deal w/ the heat they put out. I'd contact the company first to find out.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Interesting..., thank you for the tutorial!! Do you happen to know if replacement parts (and covers, if Hella actually made covers for these fogs) are available from Mopar, or?? Thx

Luke (post #9),
Where did your ins co get your replacement(s) after you wrecked your fogs? Thx

Nope no covers, the only replacement parts you can get are from chryslerpartsdirect.com
When you get to the page scroll to the bottom and do a body parts drill down, put in your info then when you get the catalog opened on the left click the link front lamps > then fog lamps > then w/renegade and then pick which part.

The entire assembly is like 80 bucks for an individual light. Lens' are 40 each.

You could do what I did and buy a set of real off road lights like the KC's I have that are much brighter and are steel cased not plastic and have much more durable lens and come with stone guards.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Good to know all that. And yeah..., had a pair of Zelmots once with a bazillion candle power. Loved 'em, but want the fogs for now.

BTW nice Renny, where did you get those grey (slush) floormats? They look like they hold a bunch more slush, and h2o, than my OEM slush mats. Thx

Last edited:

Renedave

Reaction score
TJ Rubicons used the same lights, and resells of those (usually with one good, one broken) should be pretty cheap - really, a case of good beer in trade should be about right. I've been through two lens on the Libby so far, so I try to pick up spares when I can.