Monument Valley....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pictures were taken on a trip this past weekend to Monument Valley, Valley of the God’s and Canyon de Chelly, which are in Arizona and Utah.

Nothing *********, just a lot of fantastic scenery, mostly washboard dirt roads and sandy tracks. Canyon de Chelly required a Navajo guide, 4WD and high clearance. The other places could be done in a 2WD "rental" car. Only 2 water crossings out of 108 in Canyon de Chelly needed 4WD Low.

The blue KJ is my buddy's, who is from Colorado Springs, CO.

Our next trip together will be in Sept to Silverton, CO... home of the infamous Black Bear Pass and other trails that go as high as 13,000 feet up into the mountains.

The Painted Desert…

You must be registered for see images

Monument Valley…

Valley of the God’s…

Canyon de Chelly - 108 water crossings...

4WD Low was needed for these two crossings…

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. I've never been to that part of the state. I've gotta say the Khaki fits the surroundings better than the blue. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice pic's. Such a beautiful area of the country.

No matter what color your Jeep is, it'll be red when you leave that place.

Dave

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. I'll be looking forward to the black bear pass pics. My friend rented a KJ last summer and took Imogene with it, even though the tour people told him he was nuts. Escaped without a scratch :D

We've done a bit of wheelin in our KJ in that region...we love that area. We haven't tried Imogene or Black Bear yet. We did run Engineer pass and that was fun...also ended up in Poughkeepsie gulch...actually got stuck and had to turn around at one point. We were having trouble getting up a hil of loose slate...we knew we were in trouble when the dirt bikes couldn't make it up either. :p

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics. I'll be looking forward to the black bear pass pics. My friend rented a KJ last summer and took Imogene with it, even though the tour people told him he was nuts. Escaped without a scratch :D

We've done a bit of wheelin in our KJ in that region...we love that area. We haven't tried Imogene or Black Bear yet...

Thanks.

We've been to Silverton twice... both times in my TJ (stock with 31" BFG M/T's and skids) and my buddy in his KJ (stock with Mopar skids). He went everywhere I did in his KJ, including Imogene, which is 13,114 feet. He rode with me in the TJ on Black Bear.

IMO most of the trails up there are over rated as far as difficulty goes. My biggest problem is altitude sickness, I had a headache the whole week we were there both times, the higher I went the worse it got....

Last edited:

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO most of the trails up there are over rated as far as difficulty goes. My biggest problem is altitude sickness, I had a headache the whole week we were there both times, the higher I went the worse it got....

I agree with them being a bit over-rated as far as difficulty...but you can't beat the scenery and incredible views! When we go up there we camp at around 10k feet...doesn't bother us any. We camp on mt graham normally here in SE AZ regularly and it's 10,700 at the peak (our campsite is just over 9,000)....so maybe we're just used to it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.