moab rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand the attraction for these wheels. They aren't terribly ugly, but they seem bland because they are overdone. I think my problem is that more than half the KJs I see have them. 'Course, there isn't a huge selection of decent wheels... well, unless you like garish and ostentatious. I know, looks are subjective. I'll prob'ly end up with wheels that a lot of people won't like too. But they'll be unique. They won't be Moabs, that's for sure.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't understand the attraction for these wheels. They aren't terribly ugly, but they seem bland because they are overdone. I think my problem is that more than half the KJs I see have them. 'Course, there isn't a huge selection of decent wheels... well, unless you like garish and ostentatious. I know, looks are subjective. I'll prob'ly end up with wheels that a lot of people won't like too. But they'll be unique. They won't be Moabs, that's for sure.

Not the best looking wheel but they are stronger than most.
Moabs are a Forged wheel where most all aftermarket are cast and therefore weaker. Not unsafe but just not the same standards as Moabs.
Plus I like to keep mine looking like it could of been something built from the factory . Most all wheels I see any more are just plain ugly in my opinion. More for the tuner cars than off road vehicles.
But " seem bland because they are overdone" ??
You mean because many people use them?
The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they are 8 inches wide, if they were 7 with 4 inches of backspacing they would suit me just fine

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You know brand new ones are 100 a piece.
Or find a dead jeep at a junkyard with them.. shit might be able to take the whole jeep from the lot for 450.

Brand new ones ( true forged Moabs from 03-06) are more than 100 each
The knockoff cast ones are running 100-110 each at least

GranolaLife

Reaction score
I agree, I like how they look like they could be factory as well. Not a big fan of most aftermarket. I would keep these ones but just won't be doing all of the projects I thought I would for a while.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're very right about the price per rim being aftermarket and well.. likely not OEM standards, and being cheaper I'd imagine the finish will Marr up easier than OEM as well.
Wasn't trying to seem rude with my comment, was mostly just saying there's a liberty up my road with them on it at the yard and I'll be buying it when my transmission kicks it. Brian told me if I give him 500 he'll turn his head while I drive it down the road to my house lol..
So yes 100 a piece is for knockoffs, but at 450 500 you might be able to have a project jeep left over that you can put your rims on and fix up.
Either way, shouldnt be terribly hard to find a buyer for 300. Just hold onto them for a bit while you wait for the right guy.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moabs are a Forged wheel where most all aftermarket are cast and therefore weaker.
Didn't know that. I wonder if a lot of other people who buy these don't know there's a difference between the forged Moab and the Moab style wheels. Who is the manufacturer of the forged Moab?

Most all wheels I see any more are just plain ugly in my opinion. More for the tuner cars than off road vehicles.
I certainly agree with that. But then, style and fashion are subjective. What looks good to one, might not look good to another.

But " seem bland because they are overdone" ??
You mean because many people use them?
Bland because they are like a pair of jeans, bland like an off-white wall, bland like a silver KJ (guilty there). Overdone because everywhere you look, there they are. But again, it's subjective. I have spent most of my life working in the interior design field and many of my hobbies have been associated with the arts (I am currently enmeshed in photography). I expect many of my fellow Jeepers might think my future wheels (and paint, if I can ever afford it) are overcooked, if not overdone. Definitely not bland though. ;)

The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they are 8 inches wide, if they were 7 with 4 inches of backspacing they would suit me just fine
What do you do to solve the problems associated with a too-wide wheel? I know that you discourage spacers, but for someone who is willing and able to re-torque every tire rotation, is there a specific type or brand of spacer/adapter you would use?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the Stone Age of KJs late 03 / Early 04 before I bought mine someone posted a picture of a Black KJ with Moabs.
Since black is the only color I like and loved the look of the wheels that was the beginning of my spending more money.
But yes you are right Jim, its all subjective in what your tastes are .
Yes many do not know or even care how a wheel is made sadly.
Of course they may think its sad that I even know that about Moabs or if you use this spring with this combination of parts, you'll be at this height. :happy175:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course they may think its sad that I even know that about Moabs or if you use this spring with this combination of parts, you'll be at this height. :happy175:
Oh, I think most will disagree with that statement. Some of us might think you can be obstinate at times, but I'm sure most agree that you are a real asset to those of us who want to have a great Jeep KJ to drive.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I think most will disagree with that statement. Some of us might think you can be obstinate at times, but I'm sure most agree that you are a real asset to those of us who want to have a great Jeep KJ to drive.

Actually thats one of the things on my business card

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
? That you are obstinate??

:shrug:

poke.gif

Bert

May as well be. I think its funny that because I stand up for what I believe in and speak my mind some think its ok to put labels on me, call me names etc . I NEVER do that to anyone but its ok for others to do to me. But see I'm the bigger person and keep coming back to help some that actually need help.
My Grandfather told me if I believed in something then stand up for that. I do and damn proud of it. Not wishy washy like some
Sermon over, Rev. Mudd gone and busy for a while doing what I love doing, building a Jeep for a customer

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May as well be. I think its funny that because I stand up for what I believe in and speak my mind some think its ok to put labels on me, call me names etc . I NEVER do that to anyone but its ok for others to do to me. But see I'm the bigger person and keep coming back to help some that actually need help.
My Grandfather told me if I believed in something then stand up for that. I do and damn proud of it. Not wishy washy like some
Sermon over, Rev. Mudd gone and busy for a while doing what I love doing, building a Jeep for a customer

When you're right, you're right. I wouldn't call it obstinate but rather knowledgeable. When I first saw this forum after buying the Libby for the daughter, you pointed me in the right direction for the lift/suspension even when I didn't want to lift too high.

Trusted you and Bob, and who knew? You were right about the quality and ride of it. So, keep on helping and here's to you. :cheers:

Edit: you were also right about Marlon at JBA.

Last edited:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, we do not always agree, and that's OK, I truly meant no harm in my post. One thing I have always said is that you are one of the most patient members, I can not count the times that you have replied to questions that have been asked a hundred times(literally). I know you are the most helpful on this (and lost) forum.

Bert