Max tire size before you need to regear and/or pound the pin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lift from rusty's and I thinking about putting some p245 75 16's on the renny and I was wondering if I will notice any torque loss?

Also will I need to pound the pinch weld?

Thanks!!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm assuming because the lift is going on and the tires are larger you will see some torque loss. I put on my lift and 265/70/16's and found that I don't have the best pick up and go. However, I also have Cragar wheels which are a lot heavier than stock wheels.

I don't believe you will need to pound in the pinch weld. Many people here have the lift and have not had to do this unless taking on some major off-road articulation obstacles.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll lose 5-6% as the change in tire size mathmatically shows. Your speedo will be off the same. etc., etc. Less noticable if your tires are less aggressive and therfore have less rolling resistance. As noted before wheel/tire weight will affect start and stop equally.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hauntedyards said:
So if you get a 2.5 inch lift and don;t do major off roading... can you use the 265/70/16s? or will you get nicked on the turning?

I have the BDS 2" lift and run 265/70/16s. They will rub like holy cow unless you bash the pinch weld and trim the front inner wheel wall. I don't go off-road so I'm not worried about any stuffing that may occur. However, I would suggest going with the 245/75/16's as you are guaranteed to go off-road and not destroy your fenders. You may even get away without having to do front end trimming. I know my next set of tires will be 245/75/16 BFG's....... At least then I can feel safe to go off-road with it.