matching spare tire rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question since the auction ends in a little over 12 hrs (it's now 8:00pm Chicago time), does it matter to others (like it seems to matter to me) if your spare tire rim doesn't match the other 4? I bought my KJ used from a dealer and when it was listed for sale it didn't have a spare or tire cover. When I went to look at it, it had a spare and hard tire cover. The sales man said it was a new Jeep aluminimum wheel, not a doughnut spare. I pulled the cover slightly back to see the rim, but it was dark out. Well, the rim is a Jeep wheel but it is silver, and I have the grayish/green (if you wanna call them that) wheels that came on my Renegade. I was gonna buy a used rim to match so all 5 are the same. Is it that big a deal to others as well, or am I being a little ***** about it? It is covered so it's not like it looks funny driving down the road. I could use the money for other things, like a newer hard cover, this one has a crack on top. Or vent shades. $110 for a new/used rim, $20 for shipping, prolly another $20 to put my tire on it. Worth it or not?? Thanks to all for your input.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think if you can get a good deal......otherwise leave a cover on. I wouldn't even care if the tire was mounted under.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well, I like mine to match too so I agree with you, I also have a renegade. Mine match tho, however I have a sweet spare cover if you're interested in purchasing a different one.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I would want mine to match too; and also? Jeeps would not have a doughnut tire... From as far back as the 1940's Willy, they had FULL SIZE spares... You can still get the old MASH type jeep tires, and they last like forever anyway... They are HARD RUBBER man, VERY hard...

If someone sells you a Jeep with a doughnut sire hanging on the back, RUN!!!

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the term dougnut as rusty cheap rim. I knew spares where full size, just didn't know usually had matching rims. This decision is gonna keep me up all night...lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the fact that my spare tire/wheel is the same as the four mounted on the vehicle.
When I go to buy new tires later in the summer I will be buying five new tires. All the same.

Mine are all the same rim, but the spare is still a Wrangler HP.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are all the same tires and rims. The spare on mine has actually never been used. I won't replace all five tires when it comes time for new tires. It's a full size spare so it really doesn't matter to me.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help, ya bastards. I just got done buying the the wheel. $140 shipped sounds pretty good to me, but what do I know. Again, thanks for your opinions.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks much better when matched ... unless you have a tire cover ... The money is yours and im not going to tell you what to do ... Maybe you have 3 kids dying of hunger and you put all your money into the jeep, ..., then id have to go there personnally and give you a speech but i doubt thats the case, lol. :p If you intend on keeping the hard case on, heck, you could fit a western wooden caravan wheel and no one would care.....not seing it lol !!

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new SET of wheels cause the silver paint was coming off mine.. I cant stand wheels to be mismatched. even the spare, when your displaying it like you should on a liberty, it should match. (as long as your a member of this site!)

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about this for a kick in the old *********** basket. I was showing a coworker the nonmatching rim under my cover to explain why I decided to buy the new rim, I glance at the tire size...DIFFERENT! I have the 225/75/16's on the 4 and my spare is a 235/70/16. I am totally pissed at the dealer for even putting this on. Not to mention I never got my Dethklok cd that I left in my Explorers cd player. So now I will be needing to buy a new tire, and since I have some crappy Goodyear Wrangler St's I will have to get 5 new ones. I was going to wait until before this fall to buy new ones, but I will purchase them earlier.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How about this for a kick in the old *********** basket. I was showing a coworker the nonmatching rim under my cover to explain why I decided to buy the new rim, I glance at the tire size...DIFFERENT! I have the 225/75/16's on the 4 and my spare is a 235/70/16. I am totally pissed at the dealer for even putting this on. Not to mention I never got my Dethklok cd that I left in my Explorers cd player. So now I will be needing to buy a new tire, and since I have some crappy Goodyear Wrangler St's I will have to get 5 new ones. I was going to wait until before this fall to buy new ones, but I will purchase them earlier.

Ya better get a same size spare, even a used one. The Jeep would not like a different sized tire......it would mess up the 4wd. What are ya gonna do about the CD???

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I know I need the proper size spare, I never thought of at least a used tire for now. Thanks for the suggestion WJKJ. As far as more bad news for me, they don't have the explorer anymore. I do the nice thing of telling them the keyless entry code because the "owner" locked the keys in it and the dealer still had the second set of keys and lost the code and they can't even ask where my disc is. I have the disc on my ipod, but I don't have the ipod hookup for the radio so I would be better off with the disc, not to mention discs sound better than the damn compressed files anyway. Maybe I'll buy a used one of those too...lol.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately I know I need the proper size spare, I never thought of at least a used tire for now. Thanks for the suggestion WJKJ. As far as more bad news for me, they don't have the explorer anymore. I do the nice thing of telling them the keyless entry code because the "owner" locked the keys in it and the dealer still had the second set of keys and lost the code and they can't even ask where my disc is. I have the disc on my ipod, but I don't have the ipod hookup for the radio so I would be better off with the disc, not to mention discs sound better than the damn compressed files anyway. Maybe I'll buy a used one of those too...lol.

I remember when I traded in an Olds Bravada for the Durango I left my Rolling Stones CD in it.....I was only a mile or two away, and I got it... If the CD is in your iTunes collection, just burn a copy of it...

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
sweet like how? hard cover?
yea its a hard cover

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

if you're looking for a set of matching tires with a matching size spare, i have 4 goodyear fortera triple treads on my kj 235/70/16 with less thank 10k on them, and a uniroyal liberator 235/70/16 spare if you're interested.