Manual, starting to have clutch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to have an issue with my clutch/****** ('03 Renegade 3.7L 4x4 140k).
Some of the diagnosed things.....
I would say the clutch pedal itself can be pushed in about half way before any pressure is felt.
Shifts decently fine when I first get in to drive it and then has a tendency to get worse as I go and shifting becomes harder.
Shifts completely fine when it's not running.
Haven't noticed any liquid under it.
I did change out the ****** fluid a month ago.
I'm thinking it's the slave cylinder going out but, I wanted to get some of your opinions on it.
And from what I can tell, if it is the slave, the master will have to be replaced as well due to it being a sealed system, correct?
Thanks

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a limp pedal, and presuming the fluid hasn't leaked out/dropped way low, then yes it looks like the hydraulic system should be the culprit. The master & slave is a unit, so yeah you'd be replacing both.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try adjusting the clutch pedal. I know on my brothers car there is a way to adjust the clutch pedal so it engages sooner, but I have no idea if you can do that on a jeep.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sooner is better. All the extra slippage causing the hard shifting is creating a lot of heat and wear on your clutch parts and flywheel. Use low revs while you're shifting and idle in neutral. Park it if you have another ride.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, just waiting on Pepboys to ship (or process it for that matter, wow are they slow!) the master and slave assembly to me.