Malfunction Indicator Light keeps coming on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dune_cowboy

Reaction score
Hi all

I need a little input from all of you with a KJ 05 . My Malfunction Indicator Light keeps coming on and off (Aeh) .Took to the agent here in Oman and was told that it was the exhaust oxygen sensor ( caused by the weather making the fuel mixture too rich) causing the malfunction due to the high humidity, the agent told me apparently this is happening a lot with the KJ05 model in Europe. Has anybody had a similar problem or is my agent bullshiting me. :-k

dnm45227

Reaction score
I think it's called a check engine light here, but to answer your question no problems on our '05 so far. We have about 15,000 miles on it and live in Ohio and it gets too cold for me on a regular basis. In short sounds like not only bs, but a big steaming pile of it. Hopefully you're still under the 12,000 mile mark and can tell him normal or not, you want the light to go off and stay off.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was receiving a malfunction indicator light on my 04' liberty around Thanksgiving time. The reason: Loose gas cap.

Yes...It even said it on the door to tighten the gas cap or you could have an indication light appear on the Instrument panel. I found that the owners manual also discusses the loose gas cap phenomenon.

Well I tightened the cap and after a few normal driving routines the light went bye bye. However, it did re-appear after several weeks. This time it was my O2 sensor in Bank 1. I replaced the sensor and everything worked out fine.

I can only assume that your 02 is not outta wack, since your vehicle is a 2005. However, things can happen. You can run the error check to see if you receive an error code. You can find how to do this here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=325

My error code was: P0137 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

Good luck!! Let us know what it was when you find out.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
they said that some of the wires were rubbing on the drivetrain and causing them to short.

Exact same thing for me. I installed my own (not under warranty) and zip tied the wires away from the drivetrain.