Making a 2wd Liberty 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2006, 2wd Jeep Liberty and I'm starting to fix it up. I would like to get a lift kit and tires for it. But I am toying with the idea of making it 4wd. Do you guys know if its real hard to do that. Does the tranfere case just bolt on?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm not too terribly familiar with the differences in the front suspension on a 2x4 KJ versus a 4x4.

I know for starters you'd need a tcase, a front differential and the equipment to connect the differential to the front wheels, as well as a front drive shaft...just to name a few

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear driveshaft, front driveshaft, front end, maybe a new lowerunit on the ****** so the tcase bolts to it, and maybe new spindles. Not to sure if the spindles on a 4x2 are the same as ones on a 4x4 or not?

Either way, its going to cost ALOT. O:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but my gut feeling is that it would be easier and less expensive to just get a 4wd kj.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Dave said:
I could be wrong but my gut feeling is that it would be easier and less expensive to just get a 4wd kj.

Yup....

I forgot about the rear drive shaft having to be changed.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way, first go to KBB.com get your value, and sell it, grab a fresh 07 LTD 4x4 before they are gone for good.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:

I agree - you'll probalby find between the cost of hte parts and the amount of work it would take you'd be FAR better off selilng yours and getting a 4wd.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a rear-ended 4x4 and but the front axle, hardware, axles, transfer case, etc. and go for it. If you think you can get it cheap enough compared to just selling the 2wd and buying a 4x4 that is.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, you could entertain the idea of building a KJ with a solid front axle using XJ parts! \:D/ That's the way I'd go if I were going to do this.

When & if my transfer case swap is successful, I'll have a NV231 command-trac case & selector lever available. Let me know.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm totally upside in my KJ so I can't really trade it in. But if can add 4x4 to it at a minimal cost. Then hell yeah. I just hope doing that doesn't require a new ****** and everything just bolts up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys forgot the most important thing about a 4x4.

It's so sad.

The Trail Rated badge and in addition, the badge on the tailgate. lol3.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I can't believe you guys forgot the most important thing about a 4x4.

It's so sad.

The Trail Rated badge and in addition, the badge on the tailgate. lol3.gif

That's it....................just put the badges on it and never mind all that other stuff and you'll save a bundle.

(biggrin)

Dave

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there was a discussion in the past regarding the initial costs, time, and parts required to convert a 2WD to a 4WD. It may go deeper in the pockets than expected. No way to trade it up though?

I guess my question would be:
Can a 2WD have a tru-lock or posi-lock installed or do those items require 4WD? If it can maybe that would be an option to at least keep your rear wheels spinning at the same time?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would cost alot. Hardest thing would be the tail on 2wd vs 4wd transmission is different. Other than that it wouldn't be that bad if you could get all the parts from a salvage yard.

New drive shafts, t-case w/ linkage, cv shafts, front axle, hub bearings and spindes are the same though. Hardest part would be finding out how the t-case mount to the tail of the transmission.

wermser

Reaction score
Can you find a trashed roll wreck to part? the 2wd tails are a problem for sure. I'm always interested in a monster garage story--no cookie cutter kit for a project like this so fabrication is definitely on the table. if you figure your time at $1/hr it'll still cost a ton. If you go for it please post updates, I like where you're head's at :)