Love Having Selec-Trac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my KJ today in some heavy rain thinking how nice it was to have full-time four-wheel drive (selec-trac). Even with stock tires, it sticks to the road like glue.

Just a nice KJ moment... Now back to the original program. (biggrin)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to convert mine to selec-trac. Already have the case, just need the lever & cable! My Grand Cherokee had selec-trac & it was great. My KJ is really squrilley in the rain.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
How do I tell if I have selec-trac or command trac?
I have 4 part time and 4 full time options.

In my old XJ I had 4 HI and 4LO

boise49ers

Reaction score
TimnDonna said:

Yeah I think I have the Command trac in mine. It just has 4 Hi 4 Lo just like my XJ. My boys XJs have 242s and fulltime 4hi.
So what is the front axle in the KJs. I just bought mine 2 days ago and haven't had time to crawl under it. How about diffs. Are they Open Open ?
Thanks

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to any dealer and ask for a "build sheet" for your jeep. You will need to give them the serial number. It takes 30 seconds and will tell you everything that is in the Jeep when it left the factory.

Oh yea....I LOVE selec-trac. Command -trac is ok .....but...... that selec-trac was one of the things I had to have or I would not have bought the one I did.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TimnDonna said:

You have Selec-Trac. Command-trac does not have 4 full time.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boise49ers said:
TimnDonna said:

Yeah I think I have the Command trac in mine. It just has 4 Hi 4 Lo just like my XJ. My boys XJs have 242s and fulltime 4hi.
So what is the front axle in the KJs. I just bought mine 2 days ago and haven't had time to crawl under it. How about diffs. Are they Open Open ?
Thanks

Haha, take it easy on that front diff, its a dana 30A. Its not that strong, but the rear axle can take a beating.

boise49ers

Reaction score
Regular Dana 30

I have a regular Dana 30 on all the XJs We beat the crap out of those. The avatar and my webpage shows that. Of course that is a solid axle. I'm not going to build the KJ. It is the family vehicle for at least 8 more years. Then when the warranty runs out I might.
They should have lots of kits by then. Kind of like the XJs are now. The wife was gonna trade the KJ for a compass when it came out, but has already fell in love with the Liberty. =D> =D>

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Regular Dana 30

boise49ers said:
I have a regular Dana 30 on all the XJs We beat the crap out of those. The avatar and my webpage shows that. Of course that is a solid axle. I'm not going to build the KJ. It is the family vehicle for at least 8 more years. Then when the warranty runs out I might.
They should have lots of kits by then. Kind of like the XJs are now. The wife was gonna trade the KJ for a compass when it came out, but has already fell in love with the Liberty. =D> =D>

I said Dana 30A, notice the A. That means aluminium housing, and it likes to explode. Its happened alot on the L.O.S.T board. Big tires while loading and unloading torque on it is usually what does it.

boise49ers

Reaction score

jeepjeepster said:
boise49ers said:

I said Dana 30A, notice the A. That means aluminium housing, and it likes to explode. Its happened alot on the L.O.S.T board. Big tires while loading and unloading torque on it is usually what does it.

Oh Dana didn't learn from the aluminum 44 housing on the XJs I guess. Another ****.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed a boat today and put the selec-trac in full time. It seemed to give a little extra traction while towing even on dry roads and up and down hills and curves. When I got to the launch ramp I put it in 4hi and didn't even slip on the slippery ramp. Taking it out of the water in the fall will be another test. It'always more difficult pulling the full load out of the water up the ramp incline. Have to wait until the fall for that and will use 4lo to get the extra torque...........l..

Selec-trac is great.........

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jeepjeepster said:

Doee the 'A' stand for aluminum? Is the only difference between the 30 & 30A the aluminum housing? If that is so, is it possible to swap in a Dana 30, or at least the steel case of a 30? headscratch.gif

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
I towed a boat today and put the selec-trac in full time. It seemed to give a little extra traction while towing even on dry roads and up and down hills and curves. When I got to the launch ramp I put it in 4hi and didn't even slip on the slippery ramp. Taking it out of the water in the fall will be another test. It'always more difficult pulling the full load out of the water up the ramp incline. Have to wait until the fall for that and will use 4lo to get the extra torque...........l..

Selec-trac is great.........

That's a good use!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get the selec-trac in a wrangler model?? They all seem to be command-trac. I wonder why?

boise49ers

Reaction score

kjpilot said:
jeepjeepster said:

Doee the 'A' stand for aluminum? Is the only difference between the 30 & 30A the aluminum housing? If that is so, is it possible to swap in a Dana 30, or at least the steel case of a 30? headscratch.gif
I'm not sure they make the independent axles with steel housing Danas. Most of the steel ones Ive seen are straight one piece like on my XJs.
Those are pretty good diffs as long as you don't go over 35" tires and that is pushing it if you are locked.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard terrible stories about front diff lockers on libertys.
Because of the "A" of course, kind of a bummer, thats a mod I probably wont ever touch. Unless I can manage a SFA.
However I sure as hell wish I had something in the back.

I think my liberty came from the factory with a butter dispenser in the rear diff.

Thanks DC ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I want powertrax so bad

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just my 2 cents..
This is my second jeep.. my first was a libby sport, and now i have my renny which i absolutely love..and i would have never purchased it if i couldnt get the select trac option. even with the crappy wranglers that are on there, i havent had not one slip issue in full time mode and both libbys were ordered with abs too..just a little extra peace of mind for me.