Loss of power just after starting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got on my jeep and start moving after about 250ft, I stop at the intersection and turn right. I have to merge with the traffic, so I let go of the brake, crawl slowly forward to prepare and then accelerate to get moving into the speed of the traffic. However, during last few month or so, I notice that when the jeep is moving on idle rpm, the gas does not register immediately. The engine rpm does not increase immediately. It feels like there is a 3/4th of a second or so delay. My jeep is 04 so it is not drive by wire, i noticed the delay when I drove a Nitro last year, but I have never had this on my KJ. It was always snappy and responsive. Now, I hit the gas, there is a little engine gurgle or something that sort, no change in rpm, and finally it starts moving. Was I able to demonstrate it or does it sound crazy?

Even the involuntary moving-torso-forward associated with getting ready for the forward movement of flooring the pedal goes to waste, as I hang like an ass at the intersection, before the jeep takes off.

What do you make of this?

After I drive for few minutes, it seems to set in and disappear. At the next traffic light few miles down I don't have the problem, so this is mainly when it is cold. By cold I mean +90*F of terrible humid crazy sticky NY weather.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a stab. TPS
Check your throttle body and make sure its nice and clean. Sounds like the fuel isn't getting injected when it needs to like the computer doesn't know where the throttle is, so it doesn't know to fire the injectors. Try a new TPS.

Just my guess.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that was TPS. I changed that recently, anyway since the warranty would be up within few days (I am right at 69250) I dropped it at the dealership. It is a good investment to get it checked up real good before the warranty is over, although there is $115 fee. She is at the dealer now, I am pretty sure they will tell me that the Purge Solenoid needs to be replaced, as the CEL kept coming on for that, but the ****** CEL (P0700) disappeared recently. Well, we will know tomorrow, while I am there I can just get another TPS and replace it later.

Last time when TPS went bad, CEL threw a code relating to the TPS, this time there is no code (referencing TPS).

Could it have anything to do with transmission oil? I believe it was due at 60-65k?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online