Loose sounds jingling, turns into violent clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Ok so this noise and feeling only happens after driving like 20km . There is no problem at all till this starts up. When at about 17 km I start to hear a losse jingling noise that gets louder , as i slow it turns intoa loud thunk with the passenger feeling it strongly in the floor , it feels like driving over a log , it does not matter if it in gear or not , also engine on or off . When roling after it started it does this noise , once it sits for 5 mins it goes away for another 20km. I have changed both cv axels, intermediate shaft, Brand new brake rotors and pads , new u joints inthe rear drive shaft, even has brand new tires . It is not lifted or anything but stock.
It seems to be heat related , i have also checked the center cv axel it seems fine even after the noise starts and its driver side.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the thunk come from braking?
Also good to have the Front end inspected. Check ball joints, even front sway bar end links..

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Does the thunk come from braking?
Also good to have the Front end inspected. Check ball joints, even front sway bar end links..
It starts then gets worse , breaking does not change it or start it only time driving does,as well engine on or off does not change it. Had the front end on both sides apart checked all ball joints and ends only thing i haven't but got the idea to check is sway bar bushings. But i would think that would be a as soon as i move its starts to thunk not half hour later. And would be affected by pot holes or my dirt driveway , ive even deliberately hit pot holes to try and make it start earlier , whatever it is seems to be heat related

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Jingling sound to me points to the CV joint on the front driveshaft wearing out. See this thread for info. It’s only a $40 DIY fix.

Thanks , though it does feel like its coming from passenger side , this part is under drivers side but its an idea . i have checked that part several times boot is fine just to rule it out i may take it off and go fora drive to isolate it . and records the guy i bought it off, shows a brand new one installed in 2019 . Could it be i there something wrong with the transfer case its self ? Pretty much undrivable after the problem starts , feels like im driving over logs spaced a foot apart. It jumps , thumps or bangs harder and harder after it starts till its almost defining and hard to control the vehicle, if i sit for 15mins -half hour it goes away completely till i drive another 25 or so km

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you’re right, that doesn’t sound like a drive shaft CV going bad. If it is the transfer case (stretched out chain jumping?), there would be metal filings in the transfer case oil. You could do a transfer case fluid change and take a look at what comes out.

Johnm

Reaction score
Just a that maybe rear u- joints or torq converter if you have a auto trans

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Just a that maybe rear u- joints or torq converter if you have a auto trans
Said in my post i have brand new u joints on the drive shaft . Definitely not a torq converters there isn't one

Johnm

Reaction score
So we have new u- joints put in by someone and apparently a manual ****** we might have new and or good tires it probably wouldn't hurt to check air pressure and condition you say it acts up after driving for awhile you must forgive me I haven't read your full post and I'm not a good speller just wanted to try and help you out

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
So we have new u- joints put in by someone and apparently a manual ****** we might have new and or good tires it probably wouldn't hurt to check air pressure and condition you say it acts up after driving for awhile you must forgive me I haven't read your full post and I'm not a good speller just wanted to try and help you out
As helpful as your trying to be, if u Haven't read it , u cant help . Thanks anyways

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it feel like something binding, letting go, binding up again ?
Have you removed front driveshaft and put it up on jackstands and see what it does ?
Thats one of the first things I would of done if you brought it to me

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Sure you could say that .No im going to take it off and go for a drive and inspect it . Ive had it on jack stands turned the wheels but problem needs driving to make it happen by the time i jack it whatever is hot or something is no longer and it won't do it there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put up on jack stands and run it !!!
I mean not 80 mph but have someone in it with foot near brake pedal
You , underneath/ around it looking / listening / feeling
Done it many times , of course be careful

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
Ill keep that in mind if other ways dont work , its not quite solid enough from winter here, and my driveway bis rough cut so very unstable for all four on jack stands jack, could take off the rear drive shaft again but then risk loosing my lining up with diff marks

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
??? why remove the rear driveshaft
Oh well
So i dont have to lift it on four jack stands, its very unstable as it is on one or two let alone four im sure if i started it while up it would fall , im way out inthe county on side of a mountain , house even hangs off the cliff . Will have someone make a driveway later but only bought it justs before winter , next year is driveway so for now its looks like a ... Jeep trail witha heavy lean to the cliff side so to test stuff i gotta improvise. And the jeep acts up too much far before id get to any kind of civilization.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did I ever once mention lifting it up on 4 jack stands
NOPE
I said to remove front driveshaft , then of course drive it to see what it does
Still making sounds, jerking etc
Put up on jack stands and figured you would know just the rear since no front drive shaft, block front wheels well
Then see with ONLY REAR WHEELS SPINNING what happens

Plus you can go somewhere more stable to do this and check it out good

The gov

Reaction score
Did I ever once mention lifting it up on 4 jack stands
NOPE
I said to remove front driveshaft , then of course drive it to see what it does
Still making sounds, jerking etc
Put up on jack stands and figured you would know just the rear since no front drive shaft, block front wheels well
Then see with ONLY REAR WHEELS SPINNING what happens

Plus you can go somewhere more stable to do this and check it out good
I'm going to try and make a suggestion here as well along Tom's line of thinking, go for a drive till the symptoms start and try placing you hand on the front differential pot, than both sides of the driveline looking for hot spots, same for the rear axles as well, might be a carrier bearing issue or a seemingly good CV joint that's on the way out....
front hub bearing failure can be undetected until it's warmed up enough to have expansion from driving...

Burnzomatic

Reaction score
I'm going to try and make a suggestion here as well along Tom's line of thinking, go for a drive till the symptoms start and try placing you hand on the front differential pot, than both sides of the driveline looking for hot spots, same for the rear axles as well, might be a carrier bearing issue or a seemingly good CV joint that's on the way out....
front hub bearing failure can be undetected until it's warmed up enough to have expansion from driving...
Thats a good idea i think ill pull of the skid plate and do that , ive got a thermal camera that should allow me to pin point the hot area in comparison to the normal temperature around it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.