Looking for ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for one of these wheels for my '06 but don't need a brand new one as I plan on painting it. It is a stock wheel that most of you will recognize however I am not sure if it has a specific style name. Thoughts?

Also, I noticed this - I think this is a tear in the boot for the lower ball joint (?)- when working on the front breaks. What do I need to repair/replace this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 43
  • mjAZTzz.jpg
    mjAZTzz.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 37

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for one of these wheels for my '06 but don't need a brand new one as I plan on painting it. It is a stock wheel that most of you will recognize however I am not sure if it has a specific style name. Thoughts?

Also, I noticed this - I think this is a tear in the boot for the lower ball joint (?)- when working on the front breaks. What do I need to repair/replace this?

Thanks in advance.

That ball joint looks ready to go any moment. I wouldn't drive until you get it fixed. You need a new ball joint and a ball joint press. I actually had no luck removing mine...so I removed the knuckle and brought it to my mechanic to take care of for a nominal fee (I also brought the part). Get that taken care of ASAP!!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer and have the dealer preform the lower ball joint recall. It looks like you still have the older lower ball joint from before the recall.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to the dealer and have the dealer preform the lower ball joint recall. It looks like you still have the older lower ball joint from before the recall.
I had one recall performed on the lower ball joints. Was there a second?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ball joint looks ready to go any moment. I wouldn't drive until you get it fixed. You need a new ball joint and a ball joint press. I actually had no luck removing mine...so I removed the knuckle and brought it to my mechanic to take care of for a nominal fee (I also brought the part). Get that taken care of ASAP!!
Picture was taken last July...guess I should get moving on it.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, now I did it. I took the 'ol girl in to the mechanic (my '06 that is). I now have quite the laundry list of items that need to be addressed. I apologize in advance if this becomes a rant. I asked them to look at the lower ball joints with the plan of getting them replaced. I also asked them to look at the "suspension". Knowing that it was ready to be replaced (141,439 miles) I have been looking at the JBA 2.5" Silver package.

First they want to flush everything. "antifreeze looks like mud" so coolant and then transmission, bake cylinder, power steering system. I just had the differential fluid changed (front and back)-I thought that was the transfer case up front and the differential in the rear. Is that correct?

Next, my power steering high pressure line is leaking apparently (this will be the third time that is replaced) but also, the steering rack and pinion is leaking. (my question: well which is it? are they both leaking?!?) They recommend replacing the rack, HP line, steering gear, and drive axle boot because that is split.

So my question to any of you still reading: If I am installing a JBA 2.5" Silver Total Control, will the front lower control arms and the rear upper control arms be much more work?

Can I keep topping off the steering fluid and buy some time on the steering? how much installation time is needed for the steering gear, rack and tie rods? Is this harder than the suspension work?

trying to minimize the hit...They quoted me $4525 for all this work and that before the JBA lift. My '06 is barely worth that at this point but I want to keep her running...and safe.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, now I did it. I took the 'ol girl in to the mechanic (my '06 that is). I now have quite the laundry list of items that need to be addressed. I apologize in advance if this becomes a rant. I asked them to look at the lower ball joints with the plan of getting them replaced. I also asked them to look at the "suspension". Knowing that it was ready to be replaced (141,439 miles) I have been looking at the JBA 2.5" Silver package.

First they want to flush everything. "antifreeze looks like mud" so coolant and then transmission, bake cylinder, power steering system. I just had the differential fluid changed (front and back)-I thought that was the transfer case up front and the differential in the rear. Is that correct?

Next, my power steering high pressure line is leaking apparently (this will be the third time that is replaced) but also, the steering rack and pinion is leaking. (my question: well which is it? are they both leaking?!?) They recommend replacing the rack, HP line, steering gear, and drive axle boot because that is split.

So my question to any of you still reading: If I am installing a JBA 2.5" Silver Total Control, will the front lower control arms and the rear upper control arms be much more work?

Can I keep topping off the steering fluid and buy some time on the steering? how much installation time is needed for the steering gear, rack and tie rods? Is this harder than the suspension work?

trying to minimize the hit...They quoted me $4525 for all this work and that before the JBA lift. My '06 is barely worth that at this point but I want to keep her running...and safe.

That sounds pretty pricey for all of that. Labor on the steering rack and what not would definitely be on the higher side...but I would say anywhere in the range of 800-1200 depending on parts and price of labor. The rest of what you mentioned seems to be routine maintenance and shouldn't be 3000. Do the brake fluid with your next brake change. That should hopefully minimize the hit on labor.

For the lift, front LCAs is probably not 100% necessary. Upper control arms would be though. At that mileage, your rear is probably shot and I would think about a replacement (Mopar) with an extension bracket.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the power steering system problems, its a kj and its known for power steering leaks. I would recommend topping off on power steering fluid every now and again. The cooling system you can just drain the radiator and replace the coolant with new hoat coolant. In terms of the other maintenance I would do it your self and then it would save you tons of money. If you want a very good how to guide, I would buy the Chiltons manual we can post the link to the factory service manual here as well if you need it.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear Lord my friend... that's quite a list.

Fortunately most of it is just routine fluid maintenance that should have been done anyhow.

Coolant, as was said, drain it, maybe run some fresh water through it, drain fully, refill with HOAT and move along.

Brake fluid, often neglected... suck out what you can from the reservoir, top off, either now or when brakes need servicing, bleed them and purge the old fluid out.

Power steering; the high pressure line is known to seep or leak on these... it's just how it is. Mine has been seeping (line is always slightly wet, but never any drips or fluid hitting the ground) for about 60,000 miles. I only need to top off about once every 5 years. Change the fluid about then too... so it's likely due.

I think you're confused on what is the front differential and what is the transfer case. T-case is between the two as positioned on the vehicle.. t-case bolts to the back of the transmission (you're changing the fluid and filter on that too, right?).

So after all that... what it then boils down to is paying someone (or tackle it yourself) to change out the power steering rack and maybe a CV joint boot.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...antifreeze...transmission...brake cylinder...power steering system....differential fluid...transfer case...
I did antifreeze, differentials (front & rear, as has been pointed out) and transfer case a couple years ago. You could do all that in a day for about $100 worth of fluids. (The antifreeze will account for about half of that.)

Do the transmission fluid if you like. There is plenty of debate as to whether that is a good idea on a high-mileage Jeep.

Brake, stick with what dude and Jason told you. Cheap and easy.

The Power Steering is the wild card, but you should be able to find a much cheaper price if you don't want to tackle it yourself. If it's not spraying all over the place just top it off and see how long it takes for the level to drop.

The suspension can cost you as much as you want to pay, but $1,000 will get you a good setup if you do the work yourself. Add ~$500 if you get a garage to do it at the hourly rate.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
power steering lines is straight forward.
The only tricky part is the high pressure line that bolts right behind the driverside headlamp.
Extensions and U joint helped.

Just make sure to get mopar o-rings to replace the aftermarket ones.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I plan on handling the fluids myself. I topped off everything and will address them fully in a few weeks.

Anymore thoughts on the LCA up front?

Getting a second opinion on the steering this coming Monday.

Cheers.