Looking For A CRD Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently started searching for a CRD to compliment the gas Liberty currently in the stable (his and hers). I have read and taken note of everything I can pertaining to the vehicle.

A couple of questions regarding one I have located. What is the standard gear ratio in a common rail, the one I am looking at has a 3:73, where as our gas version has a 3:55. Also, what does the OEM Trailer Tow Package actually consist of besides the hitch. The dealer that has the one I am intersted in advertises "Tow Package" but I believe it just has had the hitch added as part of the fuel tank recall. There does not appear to be a wire harness for the trailer light, nor does it appear on the option build sheet for the vehicle. So, other than the wiring harness, was there additional equipment enhancements for the Tow Package?

Thanks, the search continues.

Mr. Hemi

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the gear ratio, the 3.73 is the standard ratio for the CRD and the V6 gas models with auto transmissions. Your gas KJ must be a manual gearbox, yes?

Your assumption is correct... If the wire harness is missing from the hitch then it does not have the factory tow package. Is the CRD you're looking at a Sport model or Limited? If a Limited then I would be surprised it doesn't have the factory tow package - they almost always came with one. The CRD Sport models were optioned out just like the V6 KJ's - some came with the tow package but most did not.

On the CRD the only real difference is the hitch and the wire harness. On the V6 models the tow package included the hitch, 7-pin wire harness with a 4-flat adapter, the EVIC overhead console and HD cooling. The CRD already has a mechanical fan and the e-fan in front of the radiator; it also comes with the 545RFE transmission which utilizes an in-radiator transmission oil cooler (it may also have an external cooler in front of the radiator but don't quote me on that.)

So to get a factory tow package on a CRD you'd need to install a wire harness. I strongly recommend you go with a factory 7-pin harness; if the CRD does NOT have an EVIC overhead console you'll also need to buy what Chrysler called a "supplemental harness" to get auxiliary power to the 7-pin and a brake controller wire (the actual brake controller is a separate item.)

I can get you links to a couple of online sources for the wire harnesses - let me know if you want to pursue it.

Hope this helps!

Bob

mrhemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. Yes, our current KJ is a manual and has a factory tow package, but does not have the EVIC overhead console. The CRD's I have been looking at were Sport models. The only draw back to the CRD I see so far, other than not being able to buy a new one is, they were not available manual trans in North America. I will have to learn to drive an auto! TwoBobKJ, I would appreciate the links to the suppliers of the wire harness.

Cheers,

Mr. Hemi