Looking at a 2005 Renegade - what issues to keep an eye on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo5Charlie

Reaction score
I have a line on an "as-is" 05 Renegade at a dealership rocking 190,000 miles. Asking price is $3900. I even like the color. For my purposes it's use would be limited to light off-roading as well as an occasional driver.

However, I know about jack when it comes to the Liberty. My greatest concern is catastrophic rust of the frame and tub and I don't know where to look. I have done searches and gained some basic knowledge but I was wondering if any of you that have first hand experience with the '05 Renegade could post some tips on what to look for in the "walk away" category I'd really appreciate it. I don't mind putting some money (like a couple grand max) into it as far as repairs go, I just don't want to buy it to only have it live for a year or two.

Thanks much and Semper Fi!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3900 is too much for a 05 with 190,000 miles in my book
I bought an garage kept 03 with 78,000 miles 3 years ago for about that , one owner and all records from day one
With that many miles start out replacing full suspension, including front UCA's , more than likely rear CV on the front driveshaft and the list continues

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a lot of miles and you really want to test & check everything to be working including AC, windows lights etc etc.
Getting it up on a lift would be best to really inspect the underbody properly.
I personally would pay someone to inspect it closely & get the report back ya or na I'll pass on it...

Echo5Charlie

Reaction score
Thanks guys! After a bit more reading, and your input, I'll pass. The Liberty is a 2 hour round trip drive away and I think I'll find it not to my liking.