Lock front or rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a TrueTrac up front with no problems with driveability.The only thing that was noticeable was the steering wheel returns to center faster,I don't even notice it at all anymore and no funning tire wear either.The TT was designed for front appilications.

The TrueTrac is an auto locker, right? Do you have the 231 or 242 transfer case? If 242, do you have any issues running it in 4wd Full Time?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TrueTrac is an auto locker, right? Do you have the 231 or 242 transfer case? If 242, do you have any issues running it in 4wd Full Time?
The TT is a gear LSD,It has a high preload so it's probally one of the best LSD's on the market.I have the 231 CommandTrac,for those with the 242 SelectTrac you will notice the TT a little more in full time 4x4,just a little heavier feeling in the steering is all.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TT is a gear LSD,It has a high preload so it's probally one of the best LSD's on the market.I have the 231 CommandTrac,for those with the 242 SelectTrac you will notice the TT a little more in full time 4x4,just a little heavier feeling in the steering is all.

Gotcha...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one disputes the value of a good locker. It's just that for many driving applications one can get bye without it just by using a little driving skill. What applications do you find you need your locker for? ie. what terrain.

In situations that requires alot of flexing. It also makes it so that you do no need to square up the Jeep with the rock, etc.

You must be registered for see images

I couldnt of taken that line without the locker.

Ohh, I knew that no one was putting down having a locker.. I was just putting in my .02.. :)

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any off road rig should have the strongest axle locked first, otherwise your just asking for disaster with the lightest duty, but heaviest loaded axle doing the work. Weight bias, etc. loads the front axle just sitting in one spot, let alone wheelin'.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a locker in that front aluminum Dana 30. I've seen enough carnage of them unlocked to even try that. Someone over on LOST has Dana 44s they swapped into the KJ. If it was that big of a deal to you, that is the route I would go.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a locker in that front aluminum Dana 30. I've seen enough carnage of them unlocked to even try that. Someone over on LOST has Dana 44s they swapped into the KJ. If it was that big of a deal to you, that is the route I would go.
That would be ARBSeth,he has a HPdana30 up front and a dana 44 rear in his SFA KJ,and no speedo!Many poeple have lockers up front and no problems.USAFCOP(over on L.O.S.T.) has ARB's front and rear and he tears his junk up and has not blown the front diff yet.He is crazy and will try the hardest lines here in CO on trails that poeple say a KJ can't do.He always tries totally open first,if he can't make it them he turns the ARB's on and climbs right up.You need to know how to drive it with a LSD or locker up front,and then you will not have any problems.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be ARBSeth,he has a HPdana30 up front and a dana 44 rear in his SFA KJ,and no speedo!Many poeple have lockers up front and no problems.USAFCOP(over on L.O.S.T.) has ARB's front and rear and he tears his junk up and has not blown the front diff yet.He is crazy and will try the hardest lines here in CO on trails that poeple say a KJ can't do.He always tries totally open first,if he can't make it them he turns the ARB's on and climbs right up.You need to know how to drive it with a LSD or locker up front,and then you will not have any problems.

I stand corrected. :)
I guess I only hear the horror stories. I don't do much ******** wheeling in the KJ (I won't do what I can't afford to fix lol), so I was just conveying what I've heard lol.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. :)
I guess I only hear the horror stories. I don't do much ******** wheeling in the KJ (I won't do what I can't afford to fix lol), so I was just conveying what I've heard lol.
Alot has to do on how you drive,you can't be balls to the wall with the dana30a in our KJ's.Slow and easy is the way to do the extreme stuff with the KJ(with a touch of momentuim).If you raise a front wheel in the KJ back off the throttle and set it down nice and easy,having a locker in the front will help with that(or a TT).

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot has to do on how you drive,you can't be balls to the wall with the dana30a in our KJ's.Slow and easy is the way to do the extreme stuff with the KJ(with a touch of momentuim).If you raise a front wheel in the KJ back off the throttle and set it down nice and easy,having a locker in the front will help with that(or a TT).

Awesome! And qouted for truth!!!

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow... the magic of time traveling... in those good old days, Troy was approving the use of DTT up font with a 242 t-case... :D

Cheers! :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... the magic of time traveling... in those good old days, Troy was approving the use of DTT up font with a 242 t-case... :D

Yea, I thought Troy said it was not a good idea to put the DTT in the front with the 242 t-case and run in full-time.

Dave

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not but you can still use it.You will have heavy steering when using full time and will wear the front tires real fast.

Full-time AWD, Torsen based diffs (front and rear) and a lockable center diff was the standard setup for a Hummer H1...

I don't think that GM (despite the things that everyone knows about them) designed a vehicle that eats front tires intentionally... :confused:

Troy... do you know for experience that a 242 t-case and a D30A DTT will eats front tires or it's educated guessing?

I think if Eaton design a DTT for a front diff, they should do it properly so it don't behave like you say ¿or I'm being just too gullible? :eek:

PD: Oh, and don't get me wrong... I don't like Hummers... if someone gave me a free Hummer, I would probably sell it and buy a Jeep instead... (if I made found somebody who is willing to pay for a Hummer enough to buy any Jeep) :D

Last edited:

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full-time AWD, Torsen based diffs (front and rear) and a lockable center diff was the standard setup for a Hummer H1...

I don't think that GM (despite the things that everyone knows about them) designed a vehicle that eats front tires intentionally... :confused:

Troy... do you know for experience that a 242 t-case and a D30A DTT will eats front tires or it's educated guessing?

I think if Eaton design a DTT for a front diff, they should do it properly so it don't behave like you say ¿or I'm being just too gullible? :eek:

PD: Oh, and don't get me wrong... I don't like Hummers... if someone gave me a free Hummer, I would probably sell it and buy a Jeep instead... (if I made found somebody who is willing to pay for a Hummer enough to buy any Jeep) :D

I believe there is someone on LOST KJs that has a DTT in the front and has the 242 t-case, but I cant remember their name :confused:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can run the DTT with the select trac t-case it just will have some adverse side effects that will be annoying to some.

As far as the H1's that's a whole different breed,the civilian H1's do not have the Torsion diffs installed,you either get open diffs or a electric locker.Only the military H1's get the Torsion diffs,and the military don't care about tire wear or heavy steering,just look at any military H1 and you will see some pretty bad alignment problems causing some bad tire wear but it doesn't matter since you are not supposed to ever go over 55mph in a military H1 anyway.They don't even balance the tires on a military H1,the only way you get balanced tires on a military H1 is if you order the tire and wheel already assembled.

Oh and by the way a H1 totally stock can go places a very well built TJ or JK would only wish,the key is to know how to properly drive one and that is the biggest downfall to most H1 owners,they just don't know how to properly drive a IFS/IRS,82" wide vehicle offroad.

theholybull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the key is to know how to properly drive one

Troy is totally correct. Ill tell you this, i have broken a lot of parts. Didnt matter my mustang, my Toyota, or my OLD Yamaha RD there was one thing that all of these occurrences had in common, I knew that there was a chance that I could break something. I may have done it 100 times before but I knew there was still a chance. If you put in a Locker or a limited slip you put stresses on the part that they never intended to be in there from the factory and that means there is a chance it will let go. So you must keep that in mind while wheeling, it starts to load up let off and try again and you may get the housing to last. or not....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Troy is totally correct. Ill tell you this, i have broken a lot of parts. Didnt matter my mustang, my Toyota, or my OLD Yamaha RD there was one thing that all of these occurrences had in common, I knew that there was a chance that I could break something. I may have done it 100 times before but I knew there was still a chance. If you put in a Locker or a limited slip you put stresses on the part that they never intended to be in there from the factory and that means there is a chance it will let go. So you must keep that in mind while wheeling, it starts to load up let off and try again and you may get the housing to last. or not....

I agree. And also try not to exceed you and your jeep's capabilities. But you can still have fun with a DD Jeep that is still capable in it's own rite.. You just can't go where locked D44's or D60's and Atlas T-case equipped rigs will go. And tires....they mean a lot too. I have been where I shouldn't have been and got pulled out for it too.

So really, I think the best thing for the KJ is to put something in the rear first. Either a locker or DTT or even a ARB if you got the money and see how it does and how you like it for your particular useage.

Dave