Local shop in Kansas City? (Updated with pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of installing a lift my 2002 Jeep Liberty (RRO Combo). I've got the front strut assembly removed from the vehicle and I need to add the spacer. That is where the problem starts. I have taken it to 3 local shops (that work on struts) and they have all said they can't do it. Two shops wouldn't try and the other said their manual spring compressor wasn't strong enough. With one exception they have all been jerks too. Seems like they don't want to try anything that isn't listed on the wall as a service.

Does anyone know of a 4x4 friendly shop in the Kansas City area? I took off work today so that I would have ample time to do this and now its raining and I'm at a standstill on the struts (Aggghh!).

Thanks in advance.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
It's possible to do it with manual spring compressors- that is how I did mine, since you can't find anybody to do it.

but i don't know of a shop in that area

Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought and rented a pair without any luck. The spring compressors would begin to bend horribly before I could even get close to inserting the strut spacer (RRO Combo - prelowered). I decided I value my life and began to look for a shop to do it. I went to four shops:

1. Midas: They tried and said their strut compressor couldn't do it (big wall-mount model too). They were total jerks as well.

2. Shop that specialized in trucks: claimed they didn't have the equipment (WTF?).

3. Mom and Pop shop: said they had never seen a strut so tightly compressed and they didn't want to damage their strut compressor trying to add the spacer.

4. Chux Trux: Did it in 20 minutes and ***** me on labor (I didn't care at this point).

I honestly don’t see how anybody could compress my strut springs with the manual compressors I got my hands on. Is it because my lift used spacers? Maybe I am just a *****!

Oh well, I am lifted! The rear was so easy (I have solid axle envy). I’ll post pictures soon. I love how it looks :)

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before:
You must be registered for see images

After:

Now I need wheels and tires :)

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Rancho RSX Shocks and Struts were $200 (technically you only have to replace the rear). I bought the lift used from a fellow KJ owner for $100 shipped (great deal since I was just buying spacers and strut plates). He had a 2003 and is going for the Frankenlift. I was actually waiting on the same lift from RRO and I was very happy to cancel (their service has been horrible lately).

I got a little over 2 in the front and about 2.5 in the rear. I am prelowered so that is plenty of lift for me. The CV angles don't look bad at all. I put 350 miles on her this weekend so I guess it's time to re-torque and get a front wheel alignment.

2003KJ

Reaction score
very nice lookin KJ!

If you don't mind me askin, how do you like those Uniroyals that ya got on there now? A buddy of mine has the EXACT same set on his XJ and says they're worse than the badyears the majority of us have on the KJ now.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with them yet (had them for about 6 months). I was worried that with the lift the sidewalls might be spongey, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I keep them inflated to 40 psi so maybe that helps (to combat my mileage woes).

My girlfriend managed to lock them up recently on wet pavement. I attributed that incident to the fact she tries to drive my KJ like her AWD Subaru!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
andersonbc said:
Before:

After:

Now I need wheels and tires :)

Nice job! Looks good! eclipsee_gold_cup.gif