LineX-ing Flares and lower KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know TJKJ has this on his KJ, and I know I have seen some others - maybe I saw on LOST though.

I am considering LineX-ing the stock front/rear bumper, flares, and then everything from the crease in the body down on the sheetmetal. I have a few questions though:

1) Did you do this yourself? If so, how hard is it (scale of 1-10?) Can you provide any general info on how it's done? The plastic shouldn't be difficult as it's completely covered, but on the sheetmetal I would assume you use a tapeline and then remove it while the LineX is still wet? I'd think that it's best to remove at least the flares to get nice coverage near the body, and then rehang them. I also assume you'd have to scuff the paint slightly on the body.
2) If you paid to have it done, how much was it?
3) Does it adhere to the plastic well? Seem to be holding up well?
4) Are you glad you did it? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?
5) Is it difficult to keep clean? Do wash rags or mitts hang up on it? From what I have seen, it's a little bumpy but not too rough.
6) Has it faded? Will it fade?
7) Anything else that I missed?

Thanks!

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Herculiner and I LOVE it!! on a scale of 1-10 Id say it was a 7, its not really that hard but it does take a lot of time b/c you need to tape it all off and prep is always key, I spent about 8 hrs taping and prepping the beltline down, flares and the roof. I paid $90 for a gallon and it was more than enough and I did 3 coats on the sides and 2 on the roof, but I would recommend at least a 3 layer to make sure its on nice and thick, and a good thing about Herculiner is it applies to its self. It seems to be adhering to the plastic just fine. I just wash it with a pressure washer and it will get it good and clean I dont use a rag or anything on it, theres just no point to, but it does collect dust and shows. I think mine has faded a little bit but not much and I like the color it is at first it was real shiny and now its a flat black and Herculiner has a cover coat you can apply to keep it shiny and its only $20. and if you really wanted to you can even paint the Herculiner to a color to match your KJ if you wanted to.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I used Herculiner and I LOVE it!! on a scale of 1-10 Id say it was a 7, its not really that hard but it does take a lot of time b/c you need to tape it all off and prep is always key, I spent about 8 hrs taping and prepping the beltline down, flares and the roof. I paid $90 for a gallon and it was more than enough and I did 3 coats on the sides and 2 on the roof, but I would recommend at least a 3 layer to make sure its on nice and thick, and a good thing about Herculiner is it applies to its self. It seems to be adhering to the plastic just fine. I just wash it with a pressure washer and it will get it good and clean I dont use a rag or anything on it, theres just no point to, but it does collect dust and shows. I think mine has faded a little bit but not much and I like the color it is at first it was real shiny and now its a flat black and Herculiner has a cover coat you can apply to keep it shiny and its only $20. and if you really wanted to you can even paint the Herculiner to a color to match your KJ if you wanted to.

You said you did a lot of prepping, what did that consist of?

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know TJKJ has this on his KJ, and I know I have seen some others - maybe I saw on LOST though.

I am considering LineX-ing the stock front/rear bumper, flares, and then everything from the crease in the body down on the sheetmetal. I have a few questions though:

1) Did you do this yourself? If so, how hard is it (scale of 1-10?) Can you provide any general info on how it's done? The plastic shouldn't be difficult as it's completely covered, but on the sheetmetal I would assume you use a tapeline and then remove it while the LineX is still wet? I'd think that it's best to remove at least the flares to get nice coverage near the body, and then rehang them. I also assume you'd have to scuff the paint slightly on the body.
2) If you paid to have it done, how much was it?
3) Does it adhere to the plastic well? Seem to be holding up well?
4) Are you glad you did it? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?
5) Is it difficult to keep clean? Do wash rags or mitts hang up on it? From what I have seen, it's a little bumpy but not too rough.
6) Has it faded? Will it fade?
7) Anything else that I missed?

Thanks!

1. Line-X can only be done by a Line-X dealer. So on a difficulty level I would give it a 2 because it was slightly difficult to be without the KJ for a couple days.
2. Line-X is expensive. For the bumpers, flares, doors to the crease, molded mud flaps, and brush guard was about $1600 with color matched Line-X Xtra everywhere except the brush guard, flaps, and top of the rear bumper. Those parts got black Line-X Xtra to match the RL Super Skinks done a year before for around $400 with installation.
3. It holds up extremely well. It's very durable.
4. I really like it and I'm glad I did it.
5. Very easy to clean. I just go over to one of the self wash places and high pressure soap and rinse it. No rubbing, no scrubbing, no waxing, no polishing.
6. The black on the steps is barely lighter. You have to look really close. If you get the Line-X Xtra, it is extremely good about not fading. If you don't get the Xtra, and you have a dark color, it will definitely fade.
7. Will I get tons of questions about it everywhere I go? -- Yes you will.

You must be registered for see images

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you did a lot of prepping, what did that consist of?

well I taped off everything I didnt want bedliner on bc it is very hard to get it off once it dries, after its all taped you need to scuff up everything you want bedlined and that took me awhile bc I did it all by hand and I used something like 80 grit sand paper, something real rough and made sure I got everything scuffed really well and then I used a prep cleaner that removes dust particles and greese from your hands that may have been left on the Jeep, then once it was all clean I started to apply the bedliner, which with Herculiner your first coat should be really light you should be able to see your orginal paint color still and then you need to wait something like 45 min and do another coat, it calls for atleast 2 coats I think but I had enough I went ahead and did 3 and in the summer when I do my bumpers and flares, Ill do 4 maybe 5 coats on them and another 1 or 2 on the beltline and roof bc I know Ill have so much extra

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JSC, my question would be around taping...If you tape off and paint over the tape slightly to ensure you have a nice edge, do you need to pull the tape off before the first coat's dry, and then re-tape for subsequent coats? I'd assume so as I would think the bedliner, once dry, wouldn't release the tape.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JSC, my question would be around taping...If you tape off and paint over the tape slightly to ensure you have a nice edge, do you need to pull the tape off before the first coat's dry, and then re-tape for subsequent coats? I'd assume so as I would think the bedliner, once dry, wouldn't release the tape.
I pulled my tape off after I was done spraying,then again it only was one coat anyway.

I used Mortons spray-on bedliner,it can be done by yourself but you need the special gun($20) and a very good air compressor(min 14cfm rating at 90psi).It cost me $120 1st time,OEM F/R bumbers,flares,roof,and beltline,but I got the kit at cost.The 2nd go around,RL bumber,ARB,and roof rack,cost me $200 since I had to buy the spraygun and pay retail for the kit.Each kit is 1 gallon sprayable,they also have a tintable version to color match and kelvlar version offered also and off course they all are UV protected.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, it was still soft enough after the time it took me to do the 3 coats, there was one spot were it became a little difficult to get the tape off but nothing real bad, and I think it was just bc the tape ripped

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this be done to the non-color matched fender flares with ease? I'm worried about the liner not adhering to them very good...

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped about 2 weeks ago at the local LineX shop. He said it wouldn't be a problem.
He estimated $500-600 for front and rear bumpers and four flares, which included removal and reinstalling all the parts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I stopped about 2 weeks ago at the local LineX shop. He said it wouldn't be a problem.
He estimated $500-600 for front and rear bumpers and four flares, which included removal and reinstalling all the parts.
Thats a pretty good deal

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah not too horrible...still a hard one to put the money down on though, since it's 99% aesthetic. I'd rather do my lift, wheels, tires, roof rack, bumper, etc...first

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing. I would like to do my flares and bumpers in flat Olive Drab. But $500 is 2/3 of an Iron Man lift.

I may just go the cheap route and paint them....although I'm not sure if paint will hold up either

McCloudsZJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys like Monstaliner? It's extremely popular on most of the forums I frequent, but I'm still the new kid on the block here, so... It's DIY, guaranteed not to chip or fade, and cheap. I know a couple people that have done their whole Jeep, inside and out, for right around $200. It has a nice texture, and takes rocks and trees like a champ.

McCloudsZJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but Monstaliner was though up on, prototyped on, and tested on JeepForum... They even have their own smiley GIF on there...

You must be registered for see images attach

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it adhere to the plastic with no problems? I'd like to do my roof and flares/bumper/etc in olive drab...would look good with my color I think.

Members online