Limited Slip and 4:10 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to put a limited slip unit and 4:10 rear gears in my Liberty 2WD. I was going to put the PowerTrax unit in but have read several negative comments lately. I am now looking at the Detroit TruTrac unit.

I am also looking at putting 4:10 gears in. I did the math using a formula I found somewhere on the 'net and it looks like I will be running about 200 RPM more at 70 MPH with the 4:10 gears and 245-75-16 tires compared to the 3:73 and 225-75-16 stock stuff. It seems that with the bigger tires I really have to turn the engine to get it moving. I am getting about 13-14 MPG around town and 18-19 MPG on the highway. I know that it goes against conventional wisdom but what is the chance of it not affecting mileage or helping?

Anybody got any experience, thoughts, or other wisdom that might help with my decision?

How about part numbers for the TruTrac and the gears?

Thanks for any help.

James

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've contacted a couple of different online retailers about part numbers for the gears. So far no reply.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've contacted a couple of different online retailers about part numbers for the gears. So far no reply.
The part# for the 8.25 TT is DET912A553............

4WheelParts.com has them for $501 and free shipping.......
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT263600.aspx

Precision 4.10 gear set for the 8.25 is part# C83/410,the best gears out there,and don't forget the master install kit.Runs about $200 for gears and &80 for master install kit.

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the way!

I ordered the TruTrac today from 4 Wheel Parts Online and the 4:10 gears by Richmond Gear from Summit Racing.

Now, I've got to find somebody to put them in around here. I'm looking forward to getting it done!

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Jeep at Bigfoot 4 x 4 in St. Louis. The same bigfoot truck people. Hopefully they will have the parts installed before long and I can get back to driving it!

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the TruTrac today from 4 Wheel Parts Online and the 4:10 gears by Richmond Gear from Summit Racing.

Now, I've got to find somebody to put them in around here. I'm looking forward to getting it done!

which ones did you get? Im not seeing them

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richmond Gear 4:10. The part numbers from Summit are below:

RMG-6903141

RAT-300K

RMG-80-0278-1

This is the Ring and Pinion, Install Kit, and Crosspin.

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it back and first impression is it has a lot more on the bottom end. The R's definitely come up quicker. Driving on the Interstate I couldn't tell any difference with the TruTrac unit. I'll have to get into something slick or loose. May do it on purpose!!!

It has more of a whine coming from the gear set. I kind of expected it. Nothing real loud or obnoxious. Sounds more like a truck now.

I'm anxious to see what happens to mileage now.

I'll post more later.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont forget that gears need to "break in" so you should drive 20 miles and rest for about 30 mins to let them cool if not they will get REALLY loud
then after doing that for I think 500 miles you should be good to go

basically only drive short trips

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that installed the gears is the same guy that does the axles/differentials on Bigfoot. He impressed me with his talk. He explained things to me about the break-in and what to expect. He said to just kind of drive it normal for the first 300 miles. He actually drove the thing the 25 miles and let it cool down per break-in instructions. He was telling me what the instructions in the book said.

As a side note, he said I would have been having work done before long anyway. The pinion bearing was wearing kind of weird. He saved the parts and showed me what he was talking about.

I sure am wanting to get on the thing but I'm trying to be gentle for a little while.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tjkj2002 where can you get the gears for $200 and the master install for $80? and do you know about how much the front will be?

thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tjkj2002 where can you get the gears for $200 and the master install for $80? and do you know about how much the front will be?

thanks
I got my gears at 4WheelParts,Yukon gears for the 8.25 cost me $190 and $75 for the install kit,that was over 2 years ago.Call Rieder Racing for the D30A gears,I think they are $150 or so.