Like the soft 8's but...HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the gracar soft 8's and i want a wider rim so I can try to maybe avoid wheel spacers. But they have a million frickin sizes to choose from on summit. I like the 15x10's but what backspacing? Also does anyone have any links to sites or pictures of diiferent rims that they can pm or email. Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15x10 rims are way to wide for a KJ unless you get above 8" of lift(SFA swap time).Stick to a 7" rim width with 4"-4.5" of BS or a 8" rim with 5" of BS for the least amount of rubbing with a 2.5"+ lift.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's my set up with a 15x8 with 4" Backspace and 31x10.5x15 tires. As tjkj said, you will get a lot of rub using a 10" rim. What tire are you planning on running with the rims?
Before with 245/75/16 on Rubicon rims
You must be registered for see images attach

After with 31's and 8" rims

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
just so the OP knows Rubicon Moab rims are 8 inches wide as well difference is in the back spacing

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the bf goodrich mud terrain t/a km's. They look like they have decent bit and they look much better than my stock tires. So 15x 7 cragars and these tires. What do you guys think?

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No my next question is do what bolt pattern do we have and what size of these tires do you guys think would look and perform the best?

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually i would have to gotto the km 2's because the normal km's only come in 10 inch widths. But I have to jump to a 16in rim...

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By going to the "steelies" you are limiting your tire size
the smaller back spacing pushes the tires outer edge out any thing more than 1.5" over stock will take out the flares with a wider than a 225/75 R16 tire

example a KJ with a lift of about 2" running a 15X7 ,I think, with 3.75" of back spacing
and 30 X 9.5 BFG MT's nearly destroyed his flares
now the B/S of the OE wheel is 5.5"
the 3.75 sticks the tire/wheel 1.75" further out
now if you can find a 15 X 7 with 4.5" ,which I think they make, and can live with a 235/75 R15 then you may get by
or keep the OE wheels and run a 225/75 ,taller
with the money saved on wheels ,about $250 or more, + some extra you can get a lift
with a lift you could run 245/75's on OE wheels

by the way I see buying after market wheels of any flavor as a waste of money
you have wheels now and they seem to be working?

w8in4yurmom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my wheels are still rolling lol. They are pretty beat up around the lip. So with the stock rims the largest I can go is a 225/75 16 correct? I wanted to get the 2.5 lift before new tires; however my tires seem to be getting dry on the edges and they look like they have some splits starting around the rim. Better play safe than sorry. I almost forgot which tires would you recommend? I want something with a lot of tread for the winters up here. Thank you very much for your input so far!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my .02 in here FWIW. I have the Cragar Black D's in a 15x7 with 4" of back spacing. I have an 07 with a Daystar lift plus a 3/8" top strut spacer plate plus 3/8" clevis lift. I have pounded the pinch weld, and trimmed the fender liners as needed, but that is no big deal to do. I have run 3 different tire sizes on this setup. Initially, I had 235/75R15 tires which are about .25" in diameter smaller than the stock OEM tire size. Looked pretty silly lifted with small tires, but had no problems. Then I bumped up to 31x10.50's. Did not have any rubbing troubles with this either. No worries about ripping my fender flares off. That is one of the reasons you need to add extended bumpstops when you do a lift. Now I have 32x11.50's. I had to trim about another 1/2" from the front fender flares. But once that was done, no problems with rubbing or anything else.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be ordering soft 8s soon too. Just wasn't sure what size to get and I have to measure the bolt pattern too. Also not sure if I might be better off ordering here in Canada or from the US...I'll have to look into the price differences, not really interested in crossing the border to get them.....
Saw alot of interesting tires today at Canadian Tire....Didn't know Goodyear had so many types of "beefy" tires there....same goes for BFG's, nice variety.
I was glad to see the 31... x 15 were cheaper than 245...r16.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, can I mount the spare that size on the back gate? If not then I'll have to keep the spare I have now...it'll be my donut LOL

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be ordering soft 8s soon too. Just wasn't sure what size to get and I have to measure the bolt pattern too. Also not sure if I might be better off ordering here in Canada or from the US...I'll have to look into the price differences, not really interested in crossing the border to get them.....
Saw alot of interesting tires today at Canadian Tire....Didn't know Goodyear had so many types of "beefy" tires there....same goes for BFG's, nice variety.

The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5

when you say that the 15's were cheeper than the 16's
were they $50+ cheeper per tire?
That is what it would take to to justify the cost of the rims on tire price

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

The tire price is one of the reasons I went to 15" Soft8's, and the 15" soft 8 wheel is cheaper too.

4 15" Soft 8 rims-4 center caps-5 packs of new lug nuts...all for $233.10 US THEN LESS THAN $30 TO CROSS BORDER IN TAXES/DUTY :D

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire price is one of the reasons I went to 15" Soft8's, and the 15" soft 8 wheel is cheaper too.

4 15" Soft 8 rims-4 center caps-5 packs of new lug nuts...all for $233.10 US THEN LESS THAN $30 TO CROSS BORDER IN TAXES/DUTY :D
I don't know anybody just across the border.....:(
now what about the spare and I'm reading something about big time fuel mileage decrease????