Lighter Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the spare tire off my tail gate and intend to put it on top in a roof basket I just ordered. I have a hitch mounted bike carrier that does not fit very well with the tire on the tailgate. Also, I don't like the extra weight on the tailgate. So I will put it on the roof.
My question is the 4 bolts/screws that jet out of the tailgate, how do they come off? Yes, SAWZAW was my initial thought too but maybe I can do something the correct way for once. The bolts are either counter sunk and I can unscrew them or I have to take the tailgate apart to get them out which will lead me back to the SAWZAW.:shrug:
Anyone come across this?

DJ

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to unscrew again. The first go around had me looking for the SAWZAW.

DJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah don't cut them off
Had someone at the last M&G that did that, took me even longer to get them out for them than if they would of done it the right way!:happy175:

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SHAAZAM! I got them off! The first one I tried was the hardest one, of course. Vice grips and some elbow grease and they came off. I think I will run to the hardware store and pickups four 3/8" bolts to fill in the holes.
Thanks.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want you can hit Lowes and in one of the hardware drawers has panel clips. I picked up a few bags to find the right one that fit. I had to trim just a little but the screw in and out so if I ever put the spare back, lol...sorry, then I could. :). The clips I used were for a ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want you can hit Lowes and in one of the hardware drawers has panel clips. I picked up a few bags to find the right one that fit. I had to trim just a little but the screw in and out so if I ever put the spare back, lol...sorry, then I could. :). The clips I used were for a ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3/8" barbed plastic clips fit perfect,I believe for Chevy's,found in the "Help" section at most parts stores.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in 4 3/8" bolts in the holes. Does the job. Ordered my roof basket yesterday so I will put the spare up there. I like the look already with no spare on the tailgate.

DJ