Lightbar Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have ideas on mounting a light bar mount (bull bar) to the stock bumper?
I want it to be sturdy obviously
I've found a couple mounts from RC for a JK that range from 12-14lbs so they would need to be mounted down pretty good
Not wanting to cut my bumper either, just drill holes through it
I saw someone with one that was smaller just not sure what they mounted it to since there's nothing sturdy under the bumper cover
I'm going to be bedlining all plastic as well as the light bar so it'll all be the same texture/color once finished
Either way I'm going to find a way to mount it, just wanted some ideas on if anyone's done it before

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We used to install lights by drilling down through the front frame rails, have to remove ash tray to get in there of course and throw a couple of washers between the bumper cover and the frame, but it works well

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to install lights by drilling down through the front frame rails, have to remove ash tray to get in there of course and throw a couple of washers between the bumper cover and the frame, but it works well

Remove the ash tray?
Not sure what you mean by that
Also, where exactly are the front frame rails that you used?
I tried to look from underneath where I could run some bolts through and put nuts on the end and couldn't see a thing

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Remove the ash tray?
Not sure what you mean by that
Also, where exactly are the front frame rails that you used?
I tried to look from underneath where I could run some bolts through and put nuts on the end and couldn't see a thing

They are caps that are bolted over the ends of the frame
Seems everyone I removed a couple of the smokers always used them for ash trays sort of look like one as well
circled area is where I am talking about , the " ash trays " were bolted to cover those areas

You must be registered for see images attach

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, and the only thing I'd need is a pack of plastic rivets for the two on the top of the bumper?
It appeared that all I need to do is cut those off, take out the two bolts, and remove the turn signals and then it'd come right off
This is what I'm wanting so I'm still not sure how I'd mount it to that
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have the 05 with flat bumper all the way across here is what I would do
remove bumper
put a flat plate across the part of the radiator support longer than what the hoop mounts are
bolt it down ( no need to even worry about getting into those areas I marked just use self tappers
mark where you want that hoop
drill holes where it would sit
and then replace bumper , mount the hoop
( of course measuring and marking where it will sit at)
bolt the hoop down to the flat plate through the bumper cover
then install lights
Good and strong and will be a nice solid mount
Been done before just mounting through the cover but lights are shaky etc and not good at all
Whats worth doing is worth doing right :gr_grin:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing actually
I figured it would reinforce the bumper and make it nice and sturdy as well
Also wouldn't make the plastic bend in where the bolts are
I do not want it shaking around so I will definitely do this!
Thanks for the reassurance