Light Bar / DRL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brad426

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Libby and I mounted a 30" Cree LED light bar on the bumper in front of the grill. It is a great light and draws under 18 amps. What I want to do is tap into the high beam wire just aft of the bulb to trigger the relay to turn the light bar on when high beams are selected. Problem is that the DRL are part of that circuit. With the Libby running there is voltage supplied to this circuit which I suspect is enough to trip the relay. I could disable the DLRs and problem solved but, I think DRL are a good idea and they are a Canuck law.

So do you think a resistor between the high beam light wire and coil in an aftermarket relay would do the trick? How many OHMs? Option two was to find the wire that feeds that little blue light in the dash and trigger from there. BTW there will be a disarm switch for the LED bar.

Thanks in advance.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would the DRL energize the relay to the light bar if you are planning to wire the control line with the high beams and it not being on?

brad426

Reaction score
The problem is this. With the key on, engine running there is a small voltage going to the high beam side of the headlamp. This is the daytime running light (DLR). When you turn on the headlight switch in the cab this power is no longer there and 12 volts goes to the low beam side of the headlight. When you select high beam 12 volts goes to the high beam side of the headlamp. Clear as mud :)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I suppose if you know the actual voltage going to the high beam light for DRL, it may not be high enough to energize the relay.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn 18 amps for one 30" LED bar?

I can turn on both my LED bars(24 10watt LED's,12 each,Vision X) with a actual measured 14.4amp draw,then I can also flip on all 6 of my Rigid Dually's at the same time for a added 4 amp draw to just put me over 18amps.That's 324watts of LED's.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply offers a module that turns your turn signals into DRL's, you'd have to have your dealer use a DRB III diagnostic reader to declare your Lib a USA market vehicle and disable the DRL's via the diagnostic connector and the DRB III, this opens up the lighting options that are fixed in the Canadian market.
I have a pair of Hella 500's tied into my high beams this way. The high beam cct energizes the relay for the '500's
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sirhk100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic a bit but any info or pics of the light bar on the bumper? Is it mounted pretty solid to where it doesn't flex or vibrate during use on the bumper?