lifting with ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna tune up my lib and have a quick Q. Removing the bolts from the trans pan and difs does not seem feasible without lifting it. Jackstands scare me (at least ones I have used before like HF ones). Does anyone use/recommend ramps to get under their vehicle? They seem safer to me.....

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup ramps are fine if you chock the wheels.

I have the opposite feeling...I don't like using ramps, but have no problem with jackstands........go figure:icon_wink:

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys...what kind of ramps have you used? it seems the only ones from autozone are made from plastic however they are rated for 12000 pounds

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made these ramps out of left over 2x12's. You can see them under the jeep. They work good and they can't tip like the metal ones.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've scrapped or thrown away every set of ramps that has ever come my way.

no way. even with the wheels chocked, I see too much chance of it rolling off.

Look through my project thread. You'll see many 3 ton jack stands and 6 ton jack stands. I supported whole vehicles with them, and was more than happy to crawl underneath. Never had an issue, and I know people who have died from properly chocked cars rolling off of car ramps, or the ramps themselves compressing and collapsing.

And all of my jack stands are from harbor freight.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the yellow "oil change" ramps. They are metal

Same.

However, whats the fear of the jeep rolling off ramps? I have been using ramps for years honestly never chocked my tires. I'm not one for skipping on safety either. The vehicle rolling away never crossed my mind with the rear wheels on the ground locked by the parking gear and E-brake.

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not everyone has working e-brakes. And in all honesty, people who use ramps typically are either
A.) people with just enough experience to know that they need the car higher to do whatever they're trying to do

or
B.) Redneck types who definitely don't have good ebrakes, and shouldn't be working on anything because they're not going to do it right anyways.

That's what I've generally noticed. It's not 100% true on all accounts, but I've yet to meet someone who has alot of mechanical experience who would even use, much less prefer, car ramps.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also nice and perfect on the trac bar and tie rods. That thing is sweet. I have built some awesome rock crawlers and tube crawlers but I LOVE your KJ

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either are dangerous if not used properly. Anytime i use stands or ramps i put plywood under them so they dont sink but there always a chance of tipping on either or the stands giving out. Me and my buddy were swaping a trans in his civic and the jack stand gave when he was under the car, only reason hes still living is because we stuck the front wheel under the car just behind the wheel well and that was just enough, the exhaust cracked him in the forehead leaving a pretty nasty cut. Be care full no matter what you use

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
not everyone has working e-brakes. And in all honesty, people who use ramps typically are either
A.) people with just enough experience to know that they need the car higher to do whatever they're trying to do

or
B.) Redneck types who definitely don't have good ebrakes, and shouldn't be working on anything because they're not going to do it right anyways.

That's what I've generally noticed. It's not 100% true on all accounts, but I've yet to meet someone who has alot of mechanical experience who would even use, much less prefer, car ramps.

Reads like an insult.

As I said in my original post with the pic, I made my own ramps. I did this because I didn't like the "store bought" ones and the ones I made are way more stable. For some things like a simple oil change, ramps come in handy. For other things, using jacks is necessary and I have several for that purpose. Whatever you use, safety is the primary concern, of course.

Dave

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know sounds like a given, but make sure on level ground.....had the jeep on jack stands when it the stand fell over. Now I use two and if possible on level ground

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know sounds like a given, but make sure on level ground.....had the jeep on jack stands when it the stand fell over. Now I use two and if possible on level ground

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Look at my pics,not even close to level and I had zero issues working under it.It sat like that for 3.5 months,never moved a millimeter.

Kirksjeep

Reaction score
I have metal ramps and I like them for oil/ ****** fluid changes. I have a working e-brake (02 with drum brakes, so the e-brake is bigger), and I also chock one tire, just in case.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just go to my buddys shop and use the lift. lol We did arctic libbys with jack stands but I also have ramps for flexing jeeps. Pics to follow. lol

Members online

No members online now.