Lifting in 2022 --- things have changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Sidhipong

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So, new guy here but I've been with the KJ since pretty much the beginning. I had one of the first Frankenfranken lift for my '05 and parts were somewhat mismatched at the time. So anyway fast forward several years I donated my '05 with some niceties in it that can't be found any more and so I have to start over.

So far I'm gonna stick with the tried and true OME 927/948 and Bilstein 24-139168 front and OME 132L rear shocks. I'm thinking of adding the Supreme Suspension 1.5" welded spacer to the equation (instead of stacking three upper isolators together). It might end up being a bit tall I can't really tell from the picture and there's no dimensional drawing to help before buying so ... wish me luck haha.

There are other things I need to do do this 2005 Renegade first though. A lot of bushings are somewhat worn and could use replacing. The outer tie rod needs replacing for sure as there's play in the steering. And while I have the wheels out I might as well replace the brake rotors and pads, and clean out all the rusted part and ... my goodness that's a lot of work and hopefully it will be good time spent with my teenager.

I can update this thread if there's interest. I'll try to do much of the work myself which I'm sure will result in some hilarity ...

Current parts list:
FRONT:
OME 927 + Bilstein 24-139168
JBA UCA
Moog upper strut plate and new upper/lower isolators

REAR:
OME 948
OME 132L
Supreme Suspension 1.5" spacer lift
New upper isolator
New lower isolator

Iron Rock Offroad adjustable rear A-arm kit (with adjustable lower arms)
On the last KJ I had, the tires were a little close to the front wheelwell after lifting so the adjustable lower control arm should compensate for the lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OH dear me, stop and read before ordering
Several things are a huge NO
DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT USE SPACERS ON TOP ,
a 3/8 inch is ok in front if you think you need it but what you are suggesting will only make it a lawn ornament
For the rear just add one upper isolator per side
Anything going above 3.25/3.5 inches you will have spring/ UCA contact on bumps even with the JBA UCAs
As far as the rest looks pretty good
EXCEPT for the last line
You DO NOT want to lengthen the rear LCAs , they must be kept at stock length or it will mess up the whole rear end geometry
The rear wheels swing in an arc , unlike a XJ say for example where they go straight up when compressed , ours swing up
I ran 265-75-16s ( 32s ) for over 150,000 miles on the 04 with no issues
Are you regearing for the larger tires ?
Even at running a 31 like 245-75-16s etc a regear does help a lot on power and mileage

And things have not changed that much when lifting
Have been doing lifts on these rigs since the start

and by the way , what you are suggesting would have the front at 2.5 inches of lift and the rear at 4 inches LOL
do you really want a 1970s drag car ?

Last edited:

Bill Sidhipong

Reaction score
I'm not adding spacer on top, not in front. The metal spacer is for the rear, to take the place of stacking three upper isolators as some have done. It's just a crapshoot to see if it would work and if it doesn't, I'm not out much. Shrug :)

As far as the rear LCA, I am trying to push the wheels back a little so they stay centered in the wheel well. I've had some rubbing issues earlier when I ran MT/R.

I didn't regear when I ran my previous KJ, but I wouldn't mind regearing if that's still an option this time around.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I KNOW YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE REAR
I just mentioned it to be clear for others reading that
PLUS you do not need 3 per side in the rear 2 per side is it if you are going for nose down altitude
And if you adjust rear lowers to center wheel say when it is fully flexed out, then pinion will be off and cause issues with vibrations/ binding
Ive seen people try it with bad results
The tire/wheel will be centered when sitting on the ground level/flat and is what you want

I regeared the 03 with 265-70-16s and the 04 with 265-75-16s , and even with 4.10s on the 04 should of been 4.56s which of course can not do with the D30a

what size tires and what width wheels and backspacing did or are you going to run ?

++++Also I see no bumpstops at all mentioned
+++++Teraflex has the fronts, have to call them to order but tthe have them in stock
++++++Rear use at least two hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch , could be more depending on what wheels. backspacing

CRAPSHOOT IT IS , Like I said seen it tried , and later sitting as a lawn ornament
But then what do I know , right ? LOL :D;););):)

Okok

Reaction score
Just for arguments sake, if the upper and lower control arms were both lengthened to retain geometry do any other issues arise? I mean reasonable adjustments if you think your lift moved your tires forward, not lengthening your wheelbase significantly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for arguments sake, if the upper and lower control arms were both lengthened to retain geometry do any other issues arise? I mean reasonable adjustments if you think your lift moved your tires forward, not lengthening your wheelbase significantly.
LOL
and then you open another can of worms
Such as new driveshaft, also possible rubbing on the gas tank

THERE IS NOT A DARN THING WRONG with the way the wheel/tire combo " swing " up
1000s of KJ owners have lifted over the years and not one issue
This all was discussed, hashed out by many of us years ago
If you do not like the way it does, convert over to leaf springs, then they will go up and down

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ffs you can’t answer a question without being condescending can you. If you don’t want to answer a question just don’t answer.
condenscending HOW
facts are facts if you do not want the truth well sorry, there it is
If you want lies , well you need to go elsewhere, please

Okok

Reaction score
condenscending HOW
facts are facts if you do not want the truth well sorry, there it is
If you want lies , well you need to go elsewhere, please
I only asked for the other guy, cuz you don’t explain things very well. Thanks for being an unhelpful pos. I will go elsewhere you ignorant old crank.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all need to understand that Tommudd is the resident GURU of lifting kj's with many installs under his belt.

He goes with what has worked correctly and consistently - in his business.

This set of questions has been asked and answered many times over.

Not to get into a shouting match here, but a little google-fu would get the answers.

@tommudd - surely there is a sticky somewhere on this?

A little patience goes a long way - for both sides.

Op asked about some non-traditional ways to modify a kj. Tommudd explained how the rear setup works and why re-inventing the wheel was not necessary.

Okok

Reaction score
you guys can deal with that guys bs if you want, but he doesn’t appear to know he’s being disrespectful. Finding info on here is not always easy, and this is a forum for people to discuss things. If you don’t want to discuss them, why be a d:ck? No amount of info on a Jeep is worth that. Dude says the same thing every time anyway.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all need to understand that Tommudd is the resident GURU of lifting kj's with many installs under his belt.

He goes with what has worked correctly and consistently - in his business.

This set of questions has been asked and answered many times over.

Not to get into a shouting match here, but a little google-fu would get the answers.

@tommudd - surely there is a sticky somewhere on this?

A little patience goes a long way - for both sides.

Op asked about some non-traditional ways to modify a kj. Tommudd explained how the rear setup works and why re-inventing the wheel was not necessary.
Lol Guru it's a kj nothing there to be a guru about it's a $2500 jeep at best now days ,I say if they wanna reinvent it have at it you screw it up scrap it and get another one

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... that's not really true. The KJ is a pretty great (stealth) true 4x4. It has some unique technical components and shouldn't be considered disposable.

But the thing with TOM is that he's kinda the sole moderator and keeps thing active on a couple forums, so you try doing that for a few years without getting grouchy. That said, his tone isn't always the greatest and it seems to have changed over the years. Anyways, sometimes he isn't always the clearest or the most technical in his answers - he kinda expects you either trust him or you do your own research/trial-error. This is just a forum afterall.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... that's not really true. The KJ is a pretty great (stealth) true 4x4. It has some unique technical components and shouldn't be considered disposable.

But the thing with TOM is that he's kinda the sole moderator and keeps thing active on a couple forums, so you try doing that for a few years without getting grouchy. That said, his tone isn't always the greatest and it seems to have changed over the years. Anyways, sometimes he isn't always the clearest or the most technical in his answers - he kinda expects you either trust him or you do your own research/trial-error. This is just a forum afterall.
The Kj is a good offroader but theres really nothing stealth about it..now that being said indo enjoy the face on guys with 50k rigs when I'm out there keeping up,while it might have some good components of a good 4x4 good approach/departure angles ,decent engine if maintained, good trans case
The ifs ,fender wells, it's top heavy and very limited aftermarket support ..will always limit what it can do,you can push it ,I know you can but stuff will break on it more often than other rigs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I only asked for the other guy, cuz you don’t explain things very well. Thanks for being an unhelpful pos. I will go elsewhere you ignorant old crank.
I am so very happy to be a POS...............not
And no it is not cool at all to start calling anyone names ( we now know a whole more about you for sure ) first warning

Be on the forums 20 years, answering the same questions every other week/month
Then after you get over 65 you get tired of people asking, asking and not believing what has worked and what doesn't or trying to turn around what you said
Like I mentioned before many times , many things were tried BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF KJS
heck one time we tore mine down and tried different things as far as getting more lifts 5 times in one day. Install, drive, twist it up, back, well lets try this,............
Plus we had a great group who shared real info
Boy do I ever miss Troy, tjkj2002 , now he would just love these questions and attitudes LOL

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya well, not being polite works only if the other person is polite. Otherwise you go straight to a slugging contest, right? And then we’re no better than a vw forum.
Take it easy there man, I think you mean a Wrangler or bro-truck forum. Them vw guys, at least the air cooled ones, tend to have a "high" stoned ratio keeping them pretty chill.

Latest posts

Members online