Lifter seized and tossed a rocker arm..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call from the stealership today saying that in addition to the faulty driver circuit for cyl. #5 in the PCM (replaced PCM). That when they started it back up they noticed a ticking in the engine so ran a compression check and found cyl. #6 was @0. Proceeded to pull the valve cover and found that #6 had a seized lifter and had tossed the rocker arm :evil: .

The engine was just replaced with a brand new long block at 88,296mi. when a valve spring broke and dropped a valve into the cylinder. Are the 3.7L really this big of a POS ?? seems this engine can't go more than a few thousand miles before developing major engine trouble. What gives ???????

ETA: new engine still under warranty from LKQ so we'll see how this goes...

UPDATE: Engine #3 on it's way.

Last edited:

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you have had these issues. I wouldn't blame the engine, its probably poor assembly by the tech who built the engine. I hope everything works out well.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
3.7's are like other engines... none are bulletproof, and none are without their faults. :( Ask me how I know.

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.7's are like other engines... none are bulletproof, and none are without their faults. :( Ask me how I know.

How do you know? My 3.7 have done 115000miles and only headgaskets becouse of viscous collapsing 15km into lesotho.

Not bad engines, you don't get really bad engines these days. Only bad tech's and bad operators. A car is as good as it's looked after either by the owner or the tech.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How do you know? My 3.7 have done 115000miles and only headgaskets becouse of viscous collapsing 15km into lesotho.

Dropped valve seat back in May:

You must be registered for see images

Explanation from another thread here on JKJ... http://jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=550801&postcount=14

And further explanation on IFSJ: http://www.ifsjeepers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=5969#p5969

Not bad engines, you don't get really bad engines these days. Only bad tech's and bad operators. A car is as good as it's looked after either by the owner or the tech.

I agree with this to a degree, based on research. I think this was certainly true in my experience with engine issues though.

Last edited:

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine broke a valve spring and dropped a valve in 08/09 resulting in the install of a new engine. This one is still under warranty according to the paperwork I have so we'll see how this works out. At this point I think the head on that side is coming off to check for further damage and see if it has bent a valve or dropped a valve seat. Something is definitely wrong in there since it isn't holding compresion.

Gave the local stealership a copy of the warranty paperwork from LKQ and got the two talking to each other so I guess I'll just have to wait and see....

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped valve seat back in May:

You must be registered for see images

Explanation from another thread here on JKJ... http://jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=550801&postcount=14

And further explanation on IFSJ: http://www.ifsjeepers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=5969#p5969

I agree with this to a degree, based on research. I think this was certainly true in my experience with engine issues though.

Sorry to hear about that .... You know it's a funny thing in that it seems technology seem to be a breeder reactor for crappier engines. I remember alot of the old pushrod V-8's didn't seem to have near the problems all this new ****-bang stuff does. I looked at the rocker arm on mine when I was in the service area and it just me as very odd that a component as critical as a rocker arm would only be held in by a "friction fit" with the other surrounding parts. The lack of it being actually bolted down struck me as downright stupid. It would seem that the motor was intentionally designed to implode when anything happened at all in the valvetrain, detached rocker arm roaming freely about under the valve cover doen't exactly speak to intelligent design.

Liberty02sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call from LKQ today saying they had done an engineering analysis of the engine and it had apparently done the same thing as Yellow Coyote's jeep and dropped a valve seat introducing too much lash in the upper valvetrain causing the rocker arm and lifter issues. So it looks like motor #3 is on it's way, wish me luck the last one didn't hold up for more than 5K mi.