Lift questions...Al's "A" arms related.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whats its worth I ran mine lifted for over 70,000 miles on the stock upper arms before I got "a deal" on some JBA's both of my stock ones were good and ones now on another members 05!
So you can run a while before changing them out if needed

Thank you, good to know! I'm kinda leaning this way...money's tight - even though this will all be on credit! :cool:

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up...

Well, I got the Frankenlift I. All J in Big Bear had some Rancho shocks/struts in stock still, so the Frankenlift I was still an option. This saved me a little money.

I also opted not to get the Al's A arms at this time. After talking to the guys at the shop, they said that while Al's A arms are an improvement over the stock parts, they're really only neccessary if one is doing serious wheeling - like rock-climbing, etc.

This is my daily driver, and I'm a weekend warrior type, so I really don't see me doing that kinda stuff in this vehicle...therefore I decided not to replace them until they need to be replaced.

Anyway, for those interested here are a few pics:

Before in the parking lot at All J:

You must be registered for see images attach

Soon after on a local trail up in Big Bear:

And the "Glory Shot.": :rolleyes:

She handled great on the trail, and on the road back home. Totally different ride experience - definitely for the better. I can't wait to hit some more trails! :cool:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The tire size is perfect, beefy looking, but yet it makes look more lifted than it is! I like! :D

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions for DAGtunes?

Hi,

I've been following your post as I am interested in purchasing the Frankenlift. Pretty much have decided to go with it. Have you noticed any difference in on-road handling? Specifically directional stability, tracking, and steering on-center?

Thanks for a very informative post.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi,

I've been following your post as I am interested in purchasing the Frankenlift. Pretty much have decided to go with it. Have you noticed any difference in on-road handling? Specifically directional stability, tracking, and steering on-center?

Our KJ handles awesome with the Frankenlift with Rancho shocks on road.
Off road it handles awesome as well!
Directional stability.
Point the wheels where you want to go and thats where you go!
Even at 140Kmh the Jeep just drive smooth.
As far as tracking and steering on-center goes, it all depends on
how good of an alignment you had done, as well as what type of tires you have!
Our's is spot on the first time and for only $60.00 no tax's!
Right after having Goodyear M/T R with Kevlar mounted.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno...it's only 4 bolts extra (of which one is a little hard to get to)

...maybe they cut the pockets too, paint them etc.

Ask All J's...

Just a follow up on this...

Yes, they have to "plasma cut" the pockets, and then touch them up. That and removing/installing the UCA's is the labor involved, and they charge appropriately for it. ;)

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I'm a newbie to 4X4's, and a total novice mechanic (that's why i had All J install it!), so I don't think I'm qualified to answer your questions on any technical level. All I can tell you is my laymans impression. :eek:

The primary difference I've noticed in on-road handling is a definite sense of sitting up higher, and subsequentally, an instinctive need to slow down a bit more for corners, compared to pre-lift. I don't know that it's absolutely true or not, but I feel like the vehicle will not corner like it used to now that it's lifted. I think it's mainly psychological. Either way, it doesn't bother me, just an observation.

Also, the ride is definitely "stiffer." But, being that my `05 KJ has 83K miles on her, this was expected. It's not a harsh ride, but you definitely "feel" the road.

As for your steering questions, I have not had an alignment done since getting the lift. (Which was just this last Saturday!) I will wait a week or so before getting the alignment done to let the lift "settle in." So far, everything feels fine. There is no play in the steering, and no pulling/pushing while braking, or at highway speeds.

I did all this bass-ackwards. :eek:

I had just purchased brand new tires and had an alignment done the week before getting the lift done. (I know...waste of money...not too bright. idea.gif ) The new tire purchase (245/75/16's) neccessitated getting lifted, as it was rubbing with the stock suspension. The lift was something I was planning to do...down the road. But, I decided -within the last week - that the time had come. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I will have the alignment re-done now, but I suspect that if it is out, it's not by much - it "feels" fine to me.

FWIW! :rolleyes:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Just FYI, the toe (the tire pointing in/out, looking down from the top of the vehicle) changes dramatically after a lift, especially going from 80k+ mile stock suspension to the height you've attained, and if not done quick, it will wear out tires.

You'll notice a great difference in handling once your KJ gets realigned.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, the toe (the tire pointing in/out, looking down from the top of the vehicle) changes dramatically after a lift, especially going from 80k+ mile stock suspension to the height you've attained, and if not done quick, it will wear out tires.

You'll notice a great difference in handling once your KJ gets realigned.

Thanks!

With brand new tires, I should be able to wait a week or so, right? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that one should allow the lift to "settle in" before getting the alignment done?

Either way, this is a bad week, with Thankgiving and all...

I don't want to burn these tires though, so please educate me if I'm being foolish! :confused:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ehhhhhhh

As far as it's out, it's always POSSIBLE to wipe them out. Being toed in, it will be outside edge wear.

What ThunderbirdJunkie normally suggests to the freshly lifted, an alignment right after lift, and an alignment a month later.

Lots of tire shops sell warrantied alignments, IE ThunderbirdJunkie's former employer has a 5 year transferable alignment. Lots of wheelers like that, because they can go wheeling, knock it all out of whack, and get it realigned after wheeling.

KJs ARE sensitive to abuse, so if you plan on wheeling this thing regularly (which ThunderbirdJunkie assumes you are), he would recommend such a plan.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

With brand new tires, I should be able to wait a week or so, right? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that one should allow the lift to "settle in" before getting the alignment done?

Either way, this is a bad week, with Thankgiving and all...

I don't want to burn these tires though, so please educate me if I'm being foolish! :confused:
You should get the alignment done ASAP after the lift then again about 2-3 months later.Having your toe and camber that far off can kill a brand new set of tires in less then 500 miles,plus you will have very adverse handling and can cuase a accident very easily in a "panic" situation.Having your alignment checked once a year pay's for itself in tire wear and mpg's.One great thing about Firestones lifetime alignment,pay $140 once and get the alignment done for free unlimited # of times while you own that vehicle.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, in the spirit of wanting to be thorough, and helpful, I thought you - Paulgj - and perhaps others here who have followed along and have a better grip on the technical stuff than I, might be able to derive some useful info from the following.

I have scanned, and am attaching my Vehicle Alignment Reports from my last two alignments. These have technical specs that might provide you the answers you seek. Of course, every vehicle is different...

Anyway, this the report for the alignment I had done a few weeks back when I had my new tires installed. My 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade has 83,000 miles on her, and this was the original suspension. I changed tire sizes from 235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos to Firestone Destination A/T's in 245/75/16.

Pre-Franky:
You must be registered for see images

And here is the report I received after having the alignment done this morning. This is after having the Frankenlift I professionally installed at All J over the weekend, and driving approximately 150 or so miles on it.

Post Franky:
You must be registered for see images

Hope this helps...it's all Greek to me. #-o

Last edited: