lift or no lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 currently sits at 20 inches in the front and 19.75" in the rear stock with crappy shocks and struts. In my case where my '02 has the taller springs, I just can't justify spending the money on OME or Ironman to gain an inch or two of lift where the guys with the lower sprigs are obviously going to see much more. If I wanted to gain alittle more height, could I add an extra isolator or two in the rear and maybe top plate or conduit nuts in front and be fine, or should I just leave it stock? I would be replacing struts and shocks with bilstein.
Let me know, thanks

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember you gain 2.25" with Ironman and 2.5" with OME*...the advertised lift height is for legal purposes...

That being said, you can replace with OEM length replacements and get a little lift by using the methods you describe...

Your call...

* over what you started with

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember you gain 2.25" with Ironman and 2.5" with OME*...the advertised lift height is for legal purposes...

Not on a "pre-lowered" era 02, from the factory they rode about an inch higher than later 02's and up. Actual lift gains are in reference to the later 02-up measurements.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they claim a 1.5" lift, perhaps they're referring to the early 02 factory specs.
Technically they're not lying then. ;)

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on a "pre-lowered" era 02, from the factory they rode about an inch higher than later 02's and up. Actual lift gains are in reference to the later 02-up measurements.

Exactly what I was trying to say. I would see less gains cause I'm already sitting an inch higher than most. My neighbors later '02 Renegade sits what seems much lower than mine with the shorter springs. This is why I am considering keeping my springs, updating the shock and struts and maybe adding some items to get it up a little more. Same items everyone uses with Ironman and OME like adding top plates and or conduit nuts up front and 1 or 2 isolators in the rear. Do you guys think this setup would be fine?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's not about the amount of lift...but the ride quality.

Very true... I take ride quality and handling over height any day. Just lookin for both, so maybe an OME lift is the way to go. I have not ruled out purchasing a lift yet, just looking for some thoughts as I have a prelowered '02.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where she currently sits @ (engine installed of course)

You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 20" from center to very bottom of flare in the front and 19.75" in rear with 194,000 on the clock

Maybe somewhere along the line a previous owner replaced the springs?
Kinda hard to believe that the original springs would still be at factory ride height after 13 years and 194k miles.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe somewhere along the line a previous owner replaced the springs?
Kinda hard to believe that the original springs would still be at factory ride height after 13 years and 194k miles.

I agree. Should be bagged with the mileage it has but as seen in photo it still sits up nice. I was under the impression the pre lowered springs have been discontinued, so I'm guessing the are original. :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very true... I take ride quality and handling over height any day. Just lookin for both, so maybe an OME lift is the way to go. I have not ruled out purchasing a lift yet, just looking for some thoughts as I have a prelowered '02.

Ride quality of a stock KJ is crap in my book, have ridden in every year there is and none ride anywhere near the way they should. Drove my StepDads today again, 05 with 80,000 miles. Hate that thing, wallows all over the road, small bumps feel like you're bouncing over the moon, mine is so much nicer to drive. So even if you think you're springs are fine......UPGRADE to OME or Ironman

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was waiting for tom to chime in. I'm new to the Liberty suspension department as you can tell. I will do it right the first time and replace the springs with OME. I plan on pulling a small 2 place at times and realize the stock suspension just won't be up to par for the task. I would also like to run 265/70/16 tires so I know I need to ditch the entire setup I currently have, stock or not. Thanks guys for the helpful info.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was waiting for tom to chime in. I'm new to the Liberty suspension department as you can tell. I will do it right the first time and replace the springs with OME. I plan on pulling a small 2 place at times and realize the stock suspension just won't be up to par for the task. I would also like to run 265/70/16 tires so I know I need to ditch the entire setup I currently have, stock or not. Thanks guys for the helpful info.

You're obviously a good wrench given the fresh motor you just put in, so you're real close to having an essentially new undercarriage and drivetrain - the upgraded suspension will make your Jeep basically a new vehicle.

I know this sounds like a broken record - cuz I was one who didn't really want to believe the folks on this board - but it's amazing the difference an upgraded suspension makes with the Liberty. Like most here I run mine on the road 90% of the time so I want it to ride comfortably, safely and yet have the ability to tow my boat and utility trailer without sagging. And yes, the off-road abilities are obviously dramatically improved too. I love being able to go from the trail to the self-serve car wash to home, pick up my wife and go out to dinner in a nice riding, sweet looking Jeep. KJ's turn heads and surprise people all the time with their capabilities - and they're comfortable too.

Ask any Wrangler owner how he/she fared during the bitter winter we just went through... :popcorn:

My 2 cents ;)

Bob

AdamG

Reaction score
I had a 3" Rough Country spacer kit when I bought it. I quickly changed it out for the IronMan Econo Lift- and is way better option than spacers. I went with the 245x75r16 Duratracs on Moab Rims to finish it off with an ARB bumper and WARN winch and KC lights and JCR rock sliders. Very happy how it came out and all these choices were due to the information from the community here.

If you want a crappy ride- put the spacers in. Do the other options cost more? Certainly. Worth it in the long run? Absolutely.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with Bilstein heavy duty shocks and stuts and OME 927/948 springs for my lift. I want alittle more and will add extra iso's in rear, but was wondering if I should use a top plate or clevis in the front? Which is safer? What is the max lift on stock UCA's again?