Lift on high mileage KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudduck

Reaction score
I've recently bought a 2002 KJ with 182,000 miles, 3.7 engine, 4x4.
Jeep seems to run and drive good. I'm working on fixing a transfer case issue at the moment.
This will be a daily driver for a while.
I really want to lift this jeep, but am weighing out the options.
I am new to KJs, but have lurked around here for a while and have learned most people seem to recommend the frankenlift or the jba lift.
I was thinking maybe frankenlift, Moab wheels, and 245/75/16 tires.
This will more or less be for looks, some beach driving, and hunting roads. No rock climbing, or serious off-roading.
Problem is, by the time I do these things, I will have spent more than I paid for the jeep.

Am I crazy to lift a liberty with so many miles?
I don't really know the expected lifespan of these things.
I've got to buy tires for it anyway, so would rather buy what I want.
Just kind of scared to spend all that money for the lift, the install, wheels, tires ect, then the motor blow.

What do you guys think?
Would it make sense to lift it?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO it would depend on the condition of the engine. Upgrading an old sagged suspension is definitely a plus though. for lifts i would go with OME,JBA,or ironman. When lifting just be aware that bushings and ball joints ect. may show their age and may need replaced. At the end of the day its your money. Plus its a good reason to buy another KJ when that one can no longer go and just swap the parts over :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it seems to run good, in good condition, taken good care of before, why not
OME 927/948 combo is a good start plus bumpstops etc
If running Moabs I'd sooner go to 265-70-16s then 245-75-16s. the 265-70s are same height as the 245-75s but wider and would do better on the sand etc

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it seems to run good, in good condition, taken good care of before, why not
OME 927/948 combo is a good start plus bumpstops etc
If running Moabs I'd sooner go to 265-70-16s then 245-75-16s. the 265-70s are same height as the 245-75s but wider and would do better on the sand etc
Tom. If using the factory liberty 16 inch wheel. What kind of spacer would I need with a 3 in lift running the 265/70

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Mudduck I just bought an 05 KJ with 162K for $3000, I just spent over $4000 on OME 927/948 spring set with corresponding shocks and struts, front and rear replacement axles with 4.10 gears, black powder coated MOAB's, and 4 new 265/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Yeah its crazy but I plan on driving this rig for a while as my daily driver and I wanted it to look cool too, spring lifts are way better in the long run than a cheap spacer lift and you're going to put tires on anything you drive. Also MOAB's are always in demand, if you ever decided to sell the rig. Satisfaction is worth a lot. In my opinion getting such a good deal on the Jeep makes more sense to trick it further and you spend the same money as everyone else on a nice rig but have way less money in it haha. I'll post pics when I get my together in the next couple weeks.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to KJs, but have lurked around here for a while and have learned most people seem to recommend the frankenlift or the jba lift.

I was thinking maybe frankenlift, Moab wheels, and 245/75/16 tires.

This will more or less be for looks, some beach driving, and hunting roads. No rock climbing, or serious off-roading.

Problem is, by the time I do these things, I will have spent more than I paid for the jeep.

This all comes down to a few questions:
What exactly will you do with it?
Do you care about the ride quality?
How much money do you have to spend?

If it's 99% mall crawler and easy trails and you don't want to spend much at all, get the Daystar. Poor ride quality, but that may be your cup of tea and definitely won't break the bank.

Next step up is the upgraded springs and you can infinitely add from there. You can go all the way up to JBA A-arms and shaved CVs for when you lift over four inches. It really all comes down to preference and how much you want to spend.

When you can honestly answer those questions, then you'll know what you should buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This all comes down to a few questions:
What exactly will you do with it?
Do you care about the ride quality?
How much money do you have to spend?

If it's 99% mall crawler and easy trails and you don't want to spend much at all, get the Daystar. Poor ride quality, but that may be your cup of tea and definitely won't break the bank.

Next step up is the upgraded springs and you can infinitely add from there. You can go all the way up to JBA A-arms and shaved CVs for when you lift over four inches. It really all comes down to preference and how much you want to spend.

When you can honestly answer those questions, then you'll know what you should buy.

Please forget the highlighted portion with that many miles , well even with 10,000 miles worst advice you can give someone

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please forget the highlighted portion with that many miles , well even with 10,000 miles worst advice you can give someone

I was apprehensive to even put the Daystar suggestion in the post due to the consistent hate for it on this forum, but some people DO like it. I'm not sure why they like it...but some do. Just giving all the possible options.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was apprehensive to even put the Daystar suggestion in the post due to the consistent hate for it on this forum, but some people DO like it. I'm not sure why they like it...but some do. Just giving all the possible options.

Not too many like it after a month or so.
So that plus the way it wears parts out is the reason not to even recommend it.
I would never have my name attached to even suggesting one. :icon_lol:
Plus its not consistent hate only on this forum
I sold tires for years, people respected my opinion since they knew if theyn asked about a certain tire and I said it was over priced for what it was or plain junk they knew what to avoid or to buy or not.
Same with lifts, some work great on a KJ some don't, don't believe in telling someone that it " may work"
It either works great or its not worth installing

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
If it's mechanically sound engine and transmission wise I'd go for it. That factory suspension at 180k has long since been shot, you'll be amazed at how much better your KJ corners when you lift it. Just do yourself a favor and replace your lower ball joints with the Moog ones with the grease fittings when you do the lift. It's a bit of extra work on top of the lift install but it's worth it.

Mudduck

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I finally got my transfer case back together, and it's working great.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a lift, then some wheels and tires.

I appreciate your recommendations of the OME spring lift.
I saw a lift kit on jbaoffroad.com that I believe has the same spring/shock numbers several of you recommended.
It is listed under the econo lift section, then labeled as OME 1.5" Lift Kit KJ.
Is this the one you guys were referring to?

Also, while on that same site, I saw the Ironman 1.5" Lift advertised.
There is only $25.00 dollars difference between the two, with the Ironman being a little cheaper.

Tommudd, I also saw a review on the Ironman lift that you wrote.
At that time, it seemed that you preferred the Ironman lift over the OME lift.
Has something changed since then, that you prefer the OME now?
I'm not questioning your opinion, as I truly respect your opinion.
I just don't know if that review was written last week or 5 years ago.

Also, when you recommended the OME setup, you also mentioned "bumpstops, ect." Can you refer me to a place to get the correct bumpstops?
And also elaborate on any "ect" items I may need?
I will have to have this lift done by a shop, and want to make sure I have everything they need to complete the job, before I drop it off there.

Also, Als A-Arms question, do I need em?
I'm sure the time to install those, would be at the same time as the lift.
Not that I am looking to spend more money than I already am, I just don't want to skip an important step, if I'm gonna wish I did it later.

Lastly, both of these lifts are listed as 1.5" lifts. I read somewhere that is due to insurance regulations or something.
I just want to make sure this is the lift I need, if I'm planning on running 245/75/16 tires, or likely the 265/70/16, tommudd recommended.
Should I expect 1.5 " of actual lift? Or more than that?

Thanks again for all your help.
Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather ask people with KJ experience instead of a guy at a shop that I don't know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I finally got my transfer case back together, and it's working great.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a lift, then some wheels and tires.

I appreciate your recommendations of the OME spring lift.
I saw a lift kit on jbaoffroad.com that I believe has the same spring/shock numbers several of you recommended.
It is listed under the econo lift section, then labeled as OME 1.5" Lift Kit KJ.
Is this the one you guys were referring to?
YES IT IS THE ONE OME 927 AND 948 SPRINGS
Also, while on that same site, I saw the Ironman 1.5" Lift advertised.
There is only $25.00 dollars difference between the two, with the Ironman being a little cheaper.
YES NOT MUCH CHEAPER AT ALL REALLY
Tommudd, I also saw a review on the Ironman lift that you wrote.
At that time, it seemed that you preferred the Ironman lift over the OME lift.
Has something changed since then, that you prefer the OME now?
I'm not questioning your opinion, as I truly respect your opinion.
I just don't know if that review was written last week or 5 years ago.
I DID LIKE THE IRONMAN WITH THE SPRINGS AND SHOCKS IT RODE REALLY GOOD, ONE ISSUE YOU DONT GET AS MUCH LIFT WITH THE IRONMAN
Also, when you recommended the OME setup, you also mentioned "bumpstops, ect." Can you refer me to a place to get the correct bumpstops? TERAFLEX BUMPSTOPS IN FRONT AGAIN FROM JBA, THEY ALSO HAVE REARS THAT YOU CAN CUT TO FIT OR 2 HOCKEY PUCKS PER SIDE IN THE REAR BLTED DOWN WILL ALSO WORK AND CHEAPER
And also elaborate on any "ect" items I may need?
I will have to have this lift done by a shop, and want to make sure I have everything they need to complete the job, before I drop it off there.

Also, Als A-Arms question, do I need em?
I'm sure the time to install those, would be at the same time as the lift.
Not that I am looking to spend more money than I already am, I just don't want to skip an important step, if I'm gonna wish I did it later.
JBA UCAS ARE A NICE UPGRADE FOR A FEW REASONS, ONE BEING THEY ARE REBUILDABLE, WELL CAN REPLACE THE BALL JOINTS EASILY. AND THEN THEY HELP WITH ALIGNMENT WHEN GOING HIGHER. NOW IF YOU ARE STAYING 3 INCHES AND UNDER THEN YOU DON'T NEED THEM BUT....SEE ABOVE

Lastly, both of these lifts are listed as 1.5" lifts. I read somewhere that is due to insurance regulations or something.
YES THAT IS TRUE INSURANCE REGS IN AUSTRALIA LIMITS TO 1.5 INCHES BUT OME GIVES YOU 2.5 AND IRONMAN 2.25 . OF COURSE IF YOU WANT 3 INCHES VERY EASY TO DO WITH AN EXTRA ISO ON EACH SIDE IN THE REAR ABOVE AND A TOP PLATE IN FRONT
I just want to make sure this is the lift I need, if I'm planning on running 245/75/16 tires, or likely the 265/70/16, tommudd recommended.
Should I expect 1.5 " of actual lift? Or more than that?
SEE ABOVE ON WHAT EACH GIVES YOU HEIGHT WISE. I'M DOING A SHORT 2.5 ON MY 03 CURRENTLY AND WILL RUN 265-70S ON MOABS POSSIBLY

Thanks again for all your help.
Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather ask people with KJ experience instead of a guy at a shop that I don't know.
KEEP ASKING, I'LL KEEP ANSWERING :icon_lol::icon_lol: