lift input needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been searching for lift ideas for both my 05 libby and my '10 libby. although there are a few 2-3 inch lifts I can not find any willing to go over the 3". But when i start looking around the bottom of these 2 libbys, I can not find much of a reason why 3" is the max. It is an IFS system which is along the same lines as many others...the FJ crusier comes racing to my mind. Fabtech simply drops the whole front suspension (I believe the front diff drops to), from what I can see to gain a good 6" lift. I would apprciate any input to this...I usually stay up late dreaming of a liberty sitting on 35's....:icon_smile:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
35s on the KJ have to go SFA plain and simple
KJ front suspension is nothing at all like a FJ except it is IFS
Another thing is the front diff which is a 30A, weak link we have in the front and the lowest gears are 4.10s so 32 inch tires/4.10s 3 inch plus lift and good to go on the KJ
KK does have a differnt front diff that you can go to lower gears but still...
check out Jeepibyal when you can't sleep, he even has a steel front diff to replace the D30A, but please do not with the 12 inch lift

LOSTJEEPS has a tremendous amount of information on both the KJ/KK
I suggest you start reading there for a few days, then ask more questions if needed lot easier for all involved

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you...i will head over there to check them out (jeepinbyal). I know the liberty and FJ do have different front ends, I was just comparing the two with being IFS. Lol, 12 inches is a bit extreme and wouldn't think about that...although...
Its not REALLY something I would want to undertake (6" lift), mainly just asking the question "why can't it be done?"
Thanks for the input, you have answered my question.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you...i will head over there to check them out (jeepinbyal). I know the liberty and FJ do have different front ends, I was just comparing the two with being IFS. Lol, 12 inches is a bit extreme and wouldn't think about that...although...
Its not REALLY something I would want to undertake (6" lift), mainly just asking the question "why can't it be done?"
Thanks for the input, you have answered my question.

The question is not "why can't it be done" but rather
why would you want to?
as the KJ sits with the current market of parts you can fit a nearly 32" tall tire
which is the tallest tire the front diff will handle
so a lift to fit larger is point less
no just the strength but the gearing options as well

I look at the WK ,'05-'10 grand, and would really like to sell the TJ and get 1
Overland with a Hemi
problem is there are no gearing or locker option for the front ,that I know of
so while there are lifts that allow 33's there is no point with only 3.73's
and an open front diff
now if there were say 4.10's or 4.56'd and an ARB for the front I would be
all over 1

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, J-Thompson, you have raised the main problem of the question "why can't you", as being, why is there not much interest to build a off road libby with full lockers, low gearing and larger tires. There is lots of parts to build many other 4 wheel drives, FJ (or any toyota), XJ, etc. I am just wondering where the "weak spots" of the liberty is. Now I understand more on the axle, brakelines, gearing and so forth.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Same thing for any 4 wheel drive almost
anytime you go bigger tires etc you have to swap out and regear, brake line length becomes an issue etc. Not just the KJ but any of them even the FJ you keep mentioning

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing for any 4 wheel drive almost
anytime you go bigger tires etc you have to swap out and regear, brake line length becomes an issue etc. Not just the KJ but any of them even the FJ you keep mentioning

You noticed the FJ reference also ,glad I am not alone
Let me say this about the FJ
They are capable rigs and yes the after market has taken to them how ever most of the drivers are scared of pushing them
example FJ with sliders ARB front with winch
OME suspension after market rear bumper
and 34 X 9.5 LTB's parked by owner because
"this trail is to much for an FJ"
yet my TJ on 31 X 11.5 LTB's and a ZJ on
265/75's did just fine
go figure

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I saw the reference first thing:happy175::shrug:
The aftermarket has taken to the FJ due to it being a Toyota and richer people buy them wanting to look the part so they sell lots of aftermarket parts.
yes they are capable but most never use them for what they are.
There are two here in town they have everything hanging on them you can buy, yet I bet they have never touched any dirt
plus they are way too flexible from what I've heard with the doors wanting to pop open when twisted up