Lift info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agb0244

Reaction score
When I did my lift it messed up the camber a lot, but I adjusted it about 3 times and now steers perfect, only issue is the a frames some times sounds like they are slamming too hard when I hit holes

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I did my lift it messed up the camber a lot, but I adjusted it about 3 times and now steers perfect, only issue is the a frames some times sounds like they are slamming too hard when I hit holes

Do you have bumpstops and what lift do you have/ plus how high

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That slamming sound is the A-arms hitting the springs - that's assuming you still have stock A-arms. The JBA arms eliminate that problem plus make the alignment easier.

Like Tom said, post some specifics about the lift so we can offer more specific advice/ideas for your particular KJ.

Bob

agb0244

Reaction score
Roger, it's a daystar leveling lift. 2.5 inch, not my choice the wife got it as a gift and I can't tell her no so I used it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Roger, it's a daystar leveling lift. 2.5 inch, not my choice the wife got it as a gift and I can't tell her no so I used it
There lies the first problem with using a spacer lift with old springs.
Did you replace the front and rear shocks?
Did you install bumpstops ?
If you didn't replace at least the rear shocks they will top out over a lot of bumps etc, fronts should of been done since they are weak as well.
What do you measure now middle of wheel to bottom of flare in front?
Oh and you should install Teraflax bumpstops as well in front at least since that will help a little in making your UBJs last a while longer

Did you take it to an actual alignment shop or do it on your own?

agb0244

Reaction score
I replaced all 4 shocks,(front strut things, and rear shocks)

agb0244

Reaction score
I've heard there have been lots of recalls for the A frames for jeep liberties, so I was waiting for them to break and change them all

agb0244

Reaction score
In the front, the measurement of center of wheel to bottom of fender is 21 5/8"

agb0244

Reaction score
I did it all myself. Everything is good, I'm new to jeeps and lifts but not mechanics.

agb0244

Reaction score
I'll look into the jba arms. Until I get those I'll work on getting longer bump stops to prevent the A arms from slamming into the springs

agb0244

Reaction score
I also put some new speakers in the other day. Higher wattage, approximately the same size as original. 330 watt 4way speaks. later I can replace the head unit or add an amp. I still need to replace the rear speakers as well. For the time being the sound is already much better.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to flex it out to get contact. Just a small hill in the road that causes the front end to lift will do it, bumps in the road also.

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
How has the tire size affected power?

It's affected it, but not dramatically. I live in Denver and go up to the mountains every weekend, and that's when it's most noticeable - driving 70 mph up steep hills on the highway. If you dont watch it, it wants to shift in an out of the passing gear constantly, which stresses out the ******. But it's not hard to keep it at 60/65 and leave it in 3rd. Just have to adjust your driving habits. Around the city it's noticeable, but not crippling. The next major upgrade I'll do (before new wheels or anything) is to re-gear to 4.10's. I've also had a drop in mpg from around 18 mpg to 16 mpg. Not huge, but noticeable.

The other area that's had the most affect, that nobody talks about, is the braking. I've notice a decent decrease in the braking power. Granted I'm running budget rotors and pads (for now), but it's definitely affected it. Had to do a panic stop at 45 mph the other day and couldn't lock up the tires. A little scary, especially with my little girl in the back seat. Sent the dog into the floor boards tho, lol.

You don't have to flex it out to get contact. Just a small hill in the road that causes the front end to lift will do it, bumps in the road also.

That's basically what I meant. I was being lazy...:icon_lol:

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a pretty decent change in power when I switched to 245/75's I also dropped down to right around 11mpg's average city driving. I would usually be on E at around 230 miles on a tank or so.

The type of tire/tread you get is going to have an affect on that too and I was running a straight M/T tire for offroad use so that's probably why it was so dramatic for me (and about 4" liftand not regeared at all)

Last edited:

03jeepkj

Reaction score
It's affected it, but not dramatically. I live in Denver and go up to the mountains every weekend, and that's when it's most noticeable - driving 70 mph up steep hills on the highway. If you dont watch it, it wants to shift in an out of the passing gear constantly, which stresses out the ******. But it's not hard to keep it at 60/65 and leave it in 3rd. Just have to adjust your driving habits. Around the city it's noticeable, but not crippling. The next major upgrade I'll do (before new wheels or anything) is to re-gear to 4.10's. I've also had a drop in mpg from around 18 mpg to 16 mpg. Not huge, but noticeable.

The other area that's had the most affect, that nobody talks about, is the braking. I've notice a decent decrease in the braking power. Granted I'm running budget rotors and pads (for now), but it's definitely affected it. Had to do a panic stop at 45 mph the other day and couldn't lock up the tires. A little scary, especially with my little girl in the back seat. Sent the dog into the floor boards tho, lol.

That's basically what I meant. I was being lazy...:icon_lol:

Thanks.