Lift Gate Glass Open Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beside the rear lift gate opening lever there is a small rectangular switch marked WINDOW on it, which I assume is to open the rear glass.

The switch is frozen. Sounds feels like water got into it and rotted the insides.

I can't find that switch on any of the parts lists, or the parts pdf that I downloaded from this website.

I went to a dealer today (new, small town, on the very edge of the big city) and they didn't have any idea, couldn't find it in 20 minutes of computer searching.

The switch is mounted upward where the rear plastic/chrome piece is. It's under the edge of the plastic/chrome, and accessible just like the lift gate latch. The hand pushes upward on it.

Any ideas of where to find it in the parts list?

Thanks
dc

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what that switch looks like but usually standard microswitches are used in areas like that.;)

Remove the switch and first measure its health by means of a Multimeter then take it to an Electronic Supply Shop ie. where you would buy Electronic Components such as Transistors, Resistors , Chips etc.

If you have no luck there then carefully try to open it...clean the contacts and glue it back together....I have done this sometimes when working on Computer equipment and I am miles away from the Company's Spares Store!;)

Otherwise you would need to visit a Breaker Yard.:confused:

Last edited:

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is about what the switch looks like.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...j0phUmdF9KCUbKDttPhoCOV0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did find a junkyard one on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3338880119...hXS_yyeZIqOjSe3nGkmyWSbJ_HFzkF8hoCGYwQAvD_BwE

That looks like the exact switch, out of a junker. The problem with that is, it is probably in as bad a state as mine. Which is ... worn out.

The major problem is, in all of my state, listed online, for junkyards, there is only one KK. A small handful of KJs. Maybe I'll need to look to other junkyards. Here they are junkyards. They don't break them. You have to do your own breaking, which can be helpful in learning how to do it.

I don't think it opens. It may and that is a possibility. I would like a new one. Cleaned out, it may last what, a few day. I'd rather have a new one. There is someone out there, maybe in the parts department in a bigger dealership that knows exactly what part it is, and where it's listed on the parts catalog.

A junkyard part may be in as poor condition as mine.

I don't want to tear the whole tail gate apart and not have the new part in hand to put in. I am 100 miles or so away from any dealer, and they won't have the part in stock. Thus that would be two trips if they have to order it. And with the Jeep torn apart while I wait.

I'd rather order the part, get it, then put it in.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
dc

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do not recognize that type of switch at all.

Nice if you can get a new one!

Most of these small switches fail when exposed to the outdoors....the KJ tailgate microswitch had a recall due to rain getting into it and gunging everything up so maybe you can try sealing it a bit better.;)

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's mounted underneath the plastic chrome that runs across the back gate. Under, where the latch handle is to open the gate. So water shouldn't be going up to it. The glass overhangs the gate lower part, so water shouldn't go down there.

But it definitely feels crusted up inside.

There are two switches. The micro switch on/with the latch that releases the glass. This switch powers that switch, hopefully only when the lock/alarm is not on.

The fob part works, which means the micro switch with the latch works. If I hit the fob back window switch 2 times it snaps open and up, now that I got new hydraulic lifts on it.

But I would like to get that switch to work.

Thanks
dc

It's like a light switch on the wall. Which then powers a relay or release motor, etc.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have sort of found it. It appears on lift-gate handle, Mopar 57010158AE.

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com...xJmw9NSZuPVJlY29tbWVuZGVkIFByb2R1Y3RzJms9MQ==

It's in the 2nd photo to the right of the right license plate light. The small black rectangle.

But, what I see here is it doesn't appear to be sold separately.

So it does look like a junk yard part.

I need to start calling the 'not online' junkyards, to see if they have any KKs. It appears that this only appears on the KK. All the online ones only have 1 KK for all of them. The non online are more Chevroolet and Ford and lots of trucks. Maybe they also have Jeeps.

I got mine to work, sort of. I ran a sharp screwdriver into it and loosened it at bit. And sprayed WD40 into it. The problem is,, the crud inside holds it in the in or on position. It's not springing back out like it should.

Well,, I'll call moparwholesaleparts and ask them. I need to order the mechanical fan blade and a thermostat. Then do a radiator/engine flush. Maybe replace the radiator.
dc

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the whole lift gate on my KK. I think I may have saved that switch. I'll have to look and post back. It's yours if I did save it. I saved the window wiper motor, glass, lights and harness but I don't remember if I pulled the switch.

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
I got mine to work, sort of. I ran a sharp screwdriver into it and loosened it at bit. And sprayed WD40 into it. The problem is,, the crud inside holds it in the in or on position. It's not springing back out like it should.
I just got a KK recently and have been going around it cleaning it up and fixing the little things. One of the things I had to work on is the window switch- it was sticking up in the recess and instead of WD40, I used graphite impregnated lock spray. It still sticks, and I think it's a poorly designed part or it was tightened up the wrong way, however I can get it to release if I pull it/push it a certain way after I press it in. Hopefully that helps.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a KK recently and have been going around it cleaning it up and fixing the little things. One of the things I had to work on is the window switch- it was sticking up in the recess and instead of WD40, I used graphite impregnated lock spray. It still sticks, and I think it's a poorly designed part or it was tightened up the wrong way, however I can get it to release if I pull it/push it a certain way after I press it in. Hopefully that helps.

That's what I have started to do. So it kinda sorta works. But still I need to take it out and hopefully replace it. And see what fixing can be done to it.
dc

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I have a KJ and I'm not familiar with the KK. When the handle mounted glass switch went bad on my KJ the dealer said I could only get a new switch by buying the handle assembly for over $200.. Somewhere on this site or LOSTJEEPS I found a part number for the switch alone $13.00.

JnyBob

Reaction score
Beside the rear lift gate opening lever there is a small rectangular switch marked WINDOW on it, which I assume is to open the rear glass.

The switch is frozen. Sounds feels like water got into it and rotted the insides.

I can't find that switch on any of the parts lists, or the parts pdf that I downloaded from this website.

I went to a dealer today (new, small town, on the very edge of the big city) and they didn't have any idea, couldn't find it in 20 minutes of computer searching.

The switch is mounted upward where the rear plastic/chrome piece is. It's under the edge of the plastic/chrome, and accessible just like the lift gate latch. The hand pushes upward on it.

Thanks
dc

JnyBob

Reaction score

Thanks
dc

I can’t help with a parts list. The switch on mine stuck open and ran my battery down. I found the switch and removed it. Cleaned the connector points on both the switch and the wiring inside the tailgate. No more problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I found two of them. Known as Flipper Window Switch. The only problem is, both of them say, won't fit my car.

Why in the world would they use two switches for that. Why not one switch for all their cars?

Anyway, I suppose one or the other, or both will fit my car.

https://parts.chrisnikel.com/oem-parts/mopar-flipper-window-switch-68033262aa

https://parts.jeepsareus.com/oem-parts/mopar-flipper-window-switch-56042450ab

Any ideas?

Thanks
dc

However, the first one, the 680 etc says it will fit the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 Jeep Liberty Limited.

So why not the 2008?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Those don't look like the KJ switch that mounts on the rear gate handle assembly. They look like they mount in the cabins somewhere.

Picture posted is of the KJ handle switch. On the KJ the wires for the handle switch run up the left side of the Jeep under the doors beneath the plastic protector of the door opening. If the KK is similar you could bypass the handleswitch by connecting the wires and install the replacement switches you show in the cabin somewhere tapping into the wires running under the door. Just an idea.

Attachments

• 8881-1de42f80917868ebe1ac0ff69bd22479.jpg
    8881-1de42f80917868ebe1ac0ff69bd22479.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 8

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those don't look like the KJ switch that mounts on the rear gate handle assembly. They look like they mount in the cabins somewhere.

Picture posted is of the KJ handle switch. On the KJ the wires for the handle switch run up the left side of the Jeep under the doors beneath the plastic protector of the door opening. If the KK is similar you could bypass the handleswitch by connecting the wires and install the replacement switches you show in the cabin somewhere tapping into the wires running under the door. Just an idea.

Standing at the rear of the KK, one's hand, palm up, reaches under the chrome plate that spans across the KK, the plate that holds two lights that light downward onto the license plates.

To the right, again, reaching and pushing upward is that switch, and pushing it causes the glass to pop up, nearly taking off your (or your father's head) as one posted on this forum, if the head is too close to the glass.

Doesn't the KJ open with hinges on the side of the door?

The KK rear gate lifts up. And the window pops up on two hydraulic cylinders.

I think the 680 number is the same switch. I finally got moparwholesaleparts on the phone. They usually don't answer. He thought maybe there was a superseded number showing, but couldn't say why they list the 680 as only fitting 2009 to 2012, and not 2008.

My final conclusion was I have to take the switch out. And maybe see a number on it. I know there won't be a number on it, as it is too small, but that's my last hope for getting a new one.

The 680 and 560 look to be the same switch. What could be different about them, I don't know. Hopefully, one day I will find out.

Thanks for your input.
dc

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I didn't know the KKs a liftgate. The KJ is hinged on the side with a latch to the right that has the window popping microswitch. The handle trips the glass open slightly before disengaging the latch to open the gate. Otherwise a fast opening gate could conflict with a slow popping glass.

I thought KKs opened on side hinges.

Oranges and yellows.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they made some major changes going from the KJ to the KK. Basically an entirely different Jeep, body wise.

The KK opens at the rear like the XJs, if you watch Matt's Off Road Recovery.
dc

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the op is still on the thread, I do have the window switch saved from my old lift gate. It was working when removed. Just message if you're interested in it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.