Lift first or Skids first?

Which First with financial and useage considerations

• Lift

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Skids

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have a very limited budget.
I virtually never get offroad.
and when i do go offroad i have no intentions to do any of the climbing and such that results in undercarrage damage.

Should i delay getting skids and get the lift first?

the lift is roughly $600

the skids are $300..

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Not that I have either. (intending on both eventually) But it seems to me that you will get riped on if you lift it without the skids! I believe at one point I saw a comment something like, "Useless lift, he doesn't even have stock skids on it. I'll bet it's never even left the pavement!"

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ya ive seen similar comments..
i bet those kinds of comments are made by rich people from Az or other like places with tons of offroad options..

i live in a corn field lol

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I hear ya brother I'm Surrounded by it on a daily basis. I can see a shortcut through a cornfield being easier with the lift than the skids. (just saying)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude, but if you never go offroad, then what's the point of either? The KJ is going to have quirks with virtually any lift kit and skid plates are nearly worthless on-road (except mine protected me from a mattress that fell off a truck in front of me, but that's another story).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Skids, you live in Indiana. Plenty of stuff on the highway that would damage your undercarriage... lol3.gif

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on where you might go offroad. Sharp rocks... skids. Sand... lift. That is after the recovery points like tjkj said. You could drive offroad for months here in Northeast Florida in the sand without needing skids, but it sure would help to get your undercarriage up out of the deep sand.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like me. Hardly ever get off-road. BUT that is because I didn't have a vehicle that was capable of it. Once you do a lift or skids you'll probably be tempted to do more off roading. I'd say do the lift first because if you're like me, your suspension is all worn out and it will be a nice improvement for daily driving. Just avoid the temptation to go off roading until you get your skids and hooks.

My plan is lift first, then tires - I have factory skids and hooks already. Of course I have to get my transmission swap done first...

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and when i do go offroad i have no intentions to do any of the climbing and such that results in undercarrage damage.

the lift is roughly $600

the skids are $300..

I'm kinda in the same situation GeekyJeep, limited funds, and lots I'd like to do with my '05 Renny....

The way I see it, there's two reasons for a lift...
#1 - The obvious advantages it serves for running off road...
#2 - The astetics...let's face it, the KJ has a bit of a "less than manly" reputation with other 4X4 owners, and nothing turns heads or zippers the lips of our naye sayers than a lifted KJ....

So IMHO a lift isn't worthless without skids, or if you just stick to the paved road.
Skids also play an important dual role, the obvious off road need, but also on the paved hiway. Lets face it guys, with the bad economy and declining state of our roads, you don't have to go off road to inflict damage to the underside of your ride, all you need is for an 18 wheeler to shred a tire on a single lane road at night, and you got debris slapping at your vital organs under there.

Either one has it's advantages, whether it's for astetics or real need purposes, both are important in their own rights.
Doesn't matter which one you do first, as long as you do both when the money allows.

I plan to buy the lift as soon as I can, and make my own skids from some scrap aluminum diamond plate I've got laying around at work.....

Last edited:

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote skids, only because I have run over a few objects too on the highway and it definitely saved me, the biggest being the hood of someones car, I met it on a curve in the dark/rain, never saw it till it was too late, put a nice scrape on the skids, but other wise no damage

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i already have hooks, and those hooks will change to rings when i get the backbone.

it really is a catch 22. because if i get the lift first im more likely to get pieces of the skids from family ( individually) for xmas.. but if i do it the other way around my family wont purchase parts to the lift because they would think it frivolous. aka id wind up with more underwear and Tupperware...

yes, since most of my driving is on road the lift will be largely aesthetic.

thanks for your input guys! this whole thing will vex me until i get it done..

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put down skids right now i just have my skids and tow points i don't off road much myself but when i do i don't have any shame if i have to get towed out if i get stuck.... just getting ready for a good photo opp

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Recovery points then skids. I have preached this for years and ignored my own advice and did recovery then lift. When finally adding skids, an area of the aluminum front diff housing was found to have been whacked very hard. A $50 skid would have prevented this potentially catastrophic hit. I was raised 'wheeling jeeps with cast-iron trannies & transfers. Skid plates where almost unheard of. But with everything being aluminum now....

Lots of guys in the 4x4 world go with little or no lift to keep a low COG and rely on their skids.

I

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting lift first cause i dont take mine anywhere near places that might need skids. mines mostly gonna be just for looks, but i do ride in mountains all the time, and there have been a few spots i got worried with, so skids will be second for me.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

people need to re-read your post....
I say lift according to what you wrote....but then you'll need tires, I get teased alot because I have a lift with stock tires :D

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
fwiw. this is not my jeep bot those are very close in size to my tires.. year, wheels. but mines black...
You must be registered for see images attach

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

the lift is roughly $600

the skids are $300..

I get a lot of hits just from loose rock flipping up as it is crossed. I voted for lift first as it will motivate you to do more.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote skids... first protect your investment, then improve it... KJ is very capable in stock form... just keep it that way until you can go futher...

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Members online