Liberty Rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep also rattled a lot on the driver side on top of (or behind) the A/C Vent for about 6 months after I got my Jeep. I went back to dealers "he said it is breaking in, give it some time) and it did go away after about 10k miles.

I have the same rattle ...almost 17k on the clock now. It's only getting worse. It started when it had about 5k miles on it. It's obnoxious. Outside of that no other rattles.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled by the strange vibration and sound at 1500 RPM...it only happens at that RPM and when accelerating up a grade/ incline. Can anyone guess what this might be? The vehicle starts and runs great-just got back from a 1500 mile trip to South Carolina.

Open to advice and ideas about the vibration..... Thanks

1500 isnt too high, it will sit around 2500 rpm at 70/75 mph, right? at 1500 you are moving through gearing, have you noticed it on any specific gear cycle? if you are downshifting, then having to accelerate up a hill it could be driveline related, as in, when the gearing has dropped too low but you cant get the rpm back up to shift back up. check motor mounts, could be an rpm range that the engine doesnt like...???

i dont know of any issues with say prop shafts and u joints that would cause vibration ??

do you hear the sound under the car, left side, right side, front, rear, loud, does it increase in noise relative to speed?

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Liberty to death and am very happy with it, don't get me wrong. I know I am overly protective/obssessive about my vehicles and that is part of the issue.

Jeep must be doing something right as I see about 25 Libertys each day. That being said is does irk me to have several issues with a brand new vehicle. In a perfect world yes, each new vehicle would be perfect with no issues. Maybe it is just my luck that I got one marginal one out of 800,000.

I'm a bit puzzled by the strange vibration and sound at 1500 RPM...it only happens at that RPM and when accelerating up a grade/ incline. Can anyone guess what this might be? The vehicle starts and runs great-just got back from a 1500 mile trip to South Carolina.

Open to advice and ideas about the vibration..... Thanks
I also have strange things happen when going up hills at times on my '07. For instance sometimes I'll approach a hill and if I just hold the pedal steady it will shudder and be very weak and make an ugly noise and just won't go. What it needs to do is downshift, but instead it feels like it just gets stuck and refuses to downshift. I will then have to take my foot off the pedal and jam it back down to get going. Where this occurs the most for me is going up a moutain road with a lot of sharp turns, where you're slowing down and speeding up repeatedly. The main thing I've been doing to lessen this is just being more aggressive with the pedal to force a downshift when approaching a hill, but it doesn't always work. I don't like it.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe its a tcc solenoid or your leavin o/d in going uphill?

I had a tcc solenoid go in my retta which caused it not wanting to downshift

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No... that's probably the normal behavior of the 42RLE (and most Chrysler automatics) and that's one of the reasons why people hate it.

I haven't driven on a curvy mountain road, so I'm not sure.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have strange things happen when going up hills at times on my '07. For instance sometimes I'll approach a hill and if I just hold the pedal steady it will shudder and be very weak and make an ugly noise and just won't go. What it needs to do is downshift, but instead it feels like it just gets stuck and refuses to downshift. I will then have to take my foot off the pedal and jam it back down to get going. Where this occurs the most for me is going up a moutain road with a lot of sharp turns, where you're slowing down and speeding up repeatedly. The main thing I've been doing to lessen this is just being more aggressive with the pedal to force a downshift when approaching a hill, but it doesn't always work. I don't like it.

I drive a lot of mountain roads and find that if I just lock out o/d it is fine. I get better acceleration and engine braking with no up and down shifting.

There is one long steep grade where you have to stop at the bottom and I go to second gear down the hill so I don't burn the brakes out and go over the cliff. Every once in a while someone goes over the cliff and kills themself there despite all the warning signs and flashing lights to use low gear.

Dave

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... that's probably the normal behavior of the 42RLE (and most Chrysler automatics) and that's one of the reasons why people hate it.

I haven't driven on a curvy mountain road, so I'm not sure.
I think you are correct. That's just how the transmission operates. I tried deactivating OverDrive, but it still does it. Next time I'm on a fairly steep twisty mountain road I'm going to try putting it in 2nd to see if that helps.

I think what happens is that the engine actually starts lugging and it won't downshift. If you lift you're foot up and then push it back down it will finally downshift. Pretty strange. Needs a little reprogramming or something is getting stuck.

admonster01

Reaction score
Rattle etc...

Yep I have this problem too....the trans just doesn't shift right sometimes from 1-2 and 2-1. The sound emenates from the center of the vehicle where the trans and drive shaft would be. I have made an appointment at the Crookership for warranty service. We'll see what happens.

If I'm going up a hill or grade above 1500RPM the vehicle lacks power unless I wail on the gas...the vehicle lunges a bit and then takes off revving up to 3000 RPM and then shifts back down to 2500RPM...

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a lot of mountain roads and find that if I just lock out o/d it is fine. I get better acceleration and engine braking with no up and down shifting.

There is one long steep grade where you have to stop at the bottom and I go to second gear down the hill so I don't burn the brakes out and go over the cliff. Every once in a while someone goes over the cliff and kills themself there despite all the warning signs and flashing lights to use low gear.

Dave
You could say the majority of my driving is fairly mountainess. On the way to my house I have to make about a 120 degree turn onto about a 25 or 30 percent grade. If I just let out of the throttle, make the turn and get back into it, it feels like it bogs down and then downshifts hard. But if I let out of the throttle, drop down to second, make the turn and then get back into it; it's smooth with plenty of power. I normally leave it in second for the rest of the trip up the mountain around the curves. It makes you feel like your driving a manual some times like that.

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I have this problem too....the trans just doesn't shift right sometimes from 1-2 and 2-1. The sound emenates from the center of the vehicle where the trans and drive shaft would be. I have made an appointment at the Crookership for warranty service. We'll see what happens.

If I'm going up a hill or grade above 1500RPM the vehicle lacks power unless I wail on the gas...the vehicle lunges a bit and then takes off revving up to 3000 RPM and then shifts back down to 2500RPM...
You're a brave man to let the Crookership touch your transmission.
I get stressed out when they change my oil.
I'd be a wreck if I knew they were messing with the transmission.

Demasrv

Reaction score
hehe all you people having the problems with their trannys need to get a 5 speed =)

Latest posts

Members online