Liberty drivetrain into a CJ, YJ, TJ, Wrangler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a Jeep, maybe a Wrangler instead of a Liberty.
Sort of looking for a project, I've come across some doozy's.
So, is it possible to put a Liberty motor, trans, t-case into a Wrangler style Jeep, or is it a really bad idea, and why?
I really liked the 6 speed in my Liberty, and the others only have only 3-5 speeds.
I've found a couple "parts" Liberty's, and some Wrangler frames. I'm considering building one from the ground up. Not looking to build the "ULTIMATE" rock crawler, just a decent, fun, daily driver that I can take to the trails now and then.
Just thinking about one issue, the independent front suspension of the Liberty, may make that T-case useless with a straight axle, swap to the Wrangler t-case, or the Liberty axle?

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why does the liberty front end make the t-case useless? you can swap the outer yoke I think

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that since the Libby is IFS, where the front driveshaft doesn't move around, the stresses are pretty much in a straight line, the t-case may not be strong enough for the motion and angle stresses of the Wrangler axle.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that since the Libby is IFS, where the front driveshaft doesn't move around, the stresses are pretty much in a straight line, the t-case may not be strong enough for the motion and angle stresses of the Wrangler axle.

The KJ's t-case is the exact same used in the XJ,TJ,JK,and not to mention a dozen other models that are not Jeep.

Oh and you can get a 6 speed TJ,with the same exact 6 speed trans the KJ had for some model years.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then it's possible?
I've found frames, with bad bodies, bodies with bad frames, and overpriced junk, with both bad.
So I got to thinking "why not build one from the ground up?"
I found a couple "parts" Libby's, with the 6speed, and good Wrangler frames aren't that hard to find.
Right now it's just a project in mind, maybe it'll happen, maybe not.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do all that might as well as swap in a decent motor because what you're describing is a TJ with a shittier motor in it.

I would SAS a liberty or just buy a TJ and swap in a v8.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do all that might as well as swap in a decent motor because what you're describing is a TJ with a shittier motor in it.

I would SAS a liberty or just buy a TJ and swap in a v8.

Yep.. honestly, for the work being described, just get whatever Wrangler frame you want and just build it with a known workable plan. I wouldn't waste my time putting a 3.7l in when there are so many other options that are less expensive to make work and provide a more durable platform to build.

Not much wrong with one of the many known-good v8 YJ/TJ builds, nor the 4.0 I6's either.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Those responses were why I asked.
I really like the "build it up myself" option. That way I know exactly what I've got, and I like "tinkering". Been looking at some decent "rollers", just need body parts, about $2200 for full 'glass.
Not going with a V-8, a 6 will do. I want a little more power than a 4, and I think 8 is too much. I'm not racing it.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Those responses were why I asked.
I really like the "build it up myself" option. That way I know exactly what I've got, and I like "tinkering". Been looking at some decent "rollers", just need body parts, about $2200 for full 'glass.
Not going with a V-8, a 6 will do. I want a little more power than a 4, and I think 8 is too much. I'm not racing it.
Build up a long travel front and rear independent suspension liberty with a 4.0 stuffed into it. [emoji848]

I was thinking about doing a long travel front suspension using spidertrax knuckles, unit bearings, and making my own a arms. Front diff would be a fab'd 9" which spidertrax sells but is a bit more expensive than diy 9" housings or other fabbed housings. Axles can be ordered from rcv, Dutchman, Currie, etc.

Steering could be done with a Howe rack and pinion or you can make a swing box.

The 'budget" route would be steel d30 from jba, stock nuckles, custom arms, and stock shafts cut and lengthened. Could make an adapter to convert the top mount to use a standard shock mount and run some 2.0 FOE or SAW coilovers.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, no.
I think I said earlier, I'm not trying to build the ultimate rock crawler, nor do I have NASA's budget.
If I wanted to spend that much, I'd just buy a new one.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, no.
I think I said earlier, I'm not trying to build the ultimate rock crawler, nor do I have NASA's budget.
If I wanted to spend that much, I'd just buy a new one.

What? You don't have $300 to budget for this? lol.

I kid, of course... NASA's budget now is more like $400. lol.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I was perusing a certain well known, much maligned, classified 'site and noticed some parts Libby's, and a few good Wrangler frames, so I put 4 and 4 together, came up with 9, and thought hmmmm, I wonder if that would work.:happy175: Plus, I really liked the 6speed.
You guys are probably right about the 3.7 for wheeling, the 4.0 would be better. I did a little research.
Remembering my "name", I was planning to buy all "pre-owned" parts for this little project, and put it together myself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.