liberty 05 difficult to start when engine warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANNY

Reaction score
Hi everybody, need help with this problem driving me nuts .When engine is cold it starts fine, drive around and as soon as the engine is warm and i turn off engine ,well that s when it s very hard to restart must try at least 5 or 6 times cranking the engine .It turns but no start anyone else with the same problem and if so what s the problem thank you ..manny

flytonehundred

Reaction score
Hi everybody, need help with this problem driving me nuts .When engine is cold it starts fine, drive around and as soon as the engine is warm and i turn off engine ,well that s when it s very hard to restart must try at least 5 or 6 times cranking the engine .It turns but no start anyone else with the same problem and if so what s the problem thank you ..manny
I had a temperature sensitive start like that, and mine was a crank or cam position sensor. I had ruled out other issues like plugs, idle air control valve, coils, etc. through various means. I say crank or cam because they were cheap enough to just replace both. Beware that the crank sensor can break off (there is a web site discussing the ways to get through that disaster). Mine did break off. Issue fixed...

Check out the Jeep Liberty Crank/No start video 1 and 2 on YouTube on the South Main Auto channel...

Last edited:

MANNY

Reaction score
hey FLYTONEHUNDRED thanks for your reply apreciate,will look into it hope will solve the problem regards manny

flytonehundred

Reaction score
If you think you narrow it down to those, the cam sensor only took a couple minutes. Easy to try first. If the crank sensor breaks off like mine, it can be miserable.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be vapor lock, my libby always has a bard time starting when its been driven around then restarted with out any cool down time.

TreeJ

Reaction score
How did you fix the vapor lock? Looking into throwing parts at it. No codes to help either.

I have a kk with the 3.7L and the same issue. New battery, new crank sensor, new cam sensor. No idle air control valve though. Electronic throttle linkage chokes itself with the air intake valve (throttle body)

Starts fine when cold, but after driving an hour, shut her down and she doesn't want to come back sometimes. About once a week or more.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this. Had a key that wasn't the key fob with locks, panics and back window opener.

$240 later at the dealership, I had the key fob and haven't had that problem since.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add... they also gave me a door-only key. Looked like a regular key and 90% similar to the (only) key I got with when I bought it from a private seller.

The key did key the door. Started it too. For about 5 seconds.

I tried the pre-programmed key fob. Did the same thing.

Both those mimicked- to a 'T' - the issues I had when it was hot and took several attempts.

Just something to consider...

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if youre having vapor lock issues, hold the gas pedal to the floor for the first second or two of the cranking, it will turn off the injectors

you've also probably got a leaking injector. or some other associated issue, EFI just isn't prone to vapor locking