Libby Transmission

Is your transmission....

• 6 speed (as soon as they are available)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing a few more pics from being submitted to the board, I'm starting to think I've got the only 5 speed lib here...

So here's the poll:

And if there was a particular reason (gas mileage, off-roading capabilities, etc) you went with one or the other, I'd love to hear it.

patm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
Automatic... One reason, selec-trac transfer case.

Select-Trac is their name for "on-demand" 4x4 right? It automaticly kicks-in when needed?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic - because it was available on the dealers lot at the time :) I dont regret it either, and I thought I would. The 3.7l has enough kick for me, even in automatic. My first automatic vehicle ever.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
patm said:
4Factor said:
Automatic... One reason, selec-trac transfer case.

Select-Trac is their name for "on-demand" 4x4 right? It automaticly kicks-in when needed?
Part-time 4WD - front and rear output shafts (from the transfer case) are locked together. This means they must rotate at the same speeds all the time. When you turn, the rear tires go a shorter distance than the fronts and this "extra" revolutions must be dealt with, usually in the form of tire spin (on loose surfaces). On dry pavement when the tires can't spin, the transfer case has to deal with this (called driveline binding) and in a worst case scenario can result in damage to the transfer case, although rare, it can happen. To prevent this, it is recommended to use Part-time 4WD only on loose surfaces (gravel, dirt, sand, snow, etc) basically anything except dry pavement.

Full-time 4WD - front and rear output shafts (from the transfer case) have a limited slip differential between them so this mode can be used on dry pavement without damaging the transfer case due to driveline binding.

TRANSFER CASES
Command-trac has the following modes:
2WD High
Part-time 4WD High
Neutral
Part-time 4WD Low

Selec-trac has the following modes:
2WD High
Part-time 4WD High
Full-time 4WD High
Neutral
Part-time 4WD Low

I wanted the Full-time 4WD High so I chose the Selec-trac transfer case which is only available with the automatic transmission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 Limited is an AT, with selec-trac. I started driving on a ranch when I was 12 on a '70 GMC pickup. It was MT, and it's clutch was a bear. When I was 14 I got to drive an AT Wagoneer as well. I use to love that Jeep. I don't recall exactly what 4x4 system it had, but it was fun to get it in the snow or mud and hit the gas and go! I kind of recall that the 4x4 would automatically kick in. My current daily driver, a Honda, is an MT. My last two cars, both RX-7's, were MT. But, I sure do like my KJ. It reminds me of the fun I had with the Wagoneer. "Hit the gas and go!" \:D/

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
3.7L automatic, Command-Trac.
Auto - 'cause though I'm a lifelong stick-shifter, I have enjoyed the several automatics I've owned, and the auto Libs were pretty much what the dealiers had, except for the Renegade, which had lots of stuff (and price) that I didn't want. I haven't had occasion to regret the auto yet -- the 3.7's got plenty of "scoot" to push it, and I still can manually control the shifting with the overdrive lockout button and the auto shift lever.

Command-Trac (part-time 4wd) 'cause I've read it's much tougher/sturdier than the Selec-Trac. I believe the Command-Trac is the same system that's been on the original 4x4 Cherokees "forever." Very tried-and-true drive train, and I've been told that it gets better traction in seriously-bad terrain. All in all, I've driven Ford and Mazda "part time" 4wd systems for years, and am very used to the "dry pavement" restrictions of those systems.

Also: I do some towing from time to time, and the Jeep automatic is rated at a higher towing weight than the manual. Usually an automatic is suggested for towing systems because of the need to slip the manual's clutch under heavy load, which often results in faster wear on clutch and ****** parts (on the manual ******.) I'm pretty good with a clutch, and haven't had that problem, but an automatic is certainly a bit easier on the entire drive train than is a manual.

I'd be glad to have either one, but when I'm driving to work (or in the mountains) with a cup of coffee in one hand, not having to de-cup to shift is really handy...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mountain Bob, where are you at in Nortern Idaho? My first few years in the early 70's was spent near St. Maries. I don't remember it, but from the photos it looks beautiful.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an automatic. I went to the dealership thinking I wanted a manual and they didn't have many/any. I test drove an auto and have never looked back. Just put it in D and go!

Bro778

Reaction score
Now for all the automatic transmission owners: Do you like your automatic ******? I think they shouldn't have switched trannys in 04; my ****** is horrible in my 04. All the bucking and can't decide on whether to shift out of OD and into 3rd. Maybe its just the torque converter is ******; maybe both are a bad combo in the 04 w/the new ******. All I have to say is no matter how many times the dealership can flash it; its not going to solve the problem.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro778 said:
Now for all the automatic transmission owners: Do you like your automatic ******? I think they shouldn't have switched trannys in 04; my ****** is horrible in my 04. All the bucking and can't decide on whether to shift out of OD and into 3rd. Maybe its just the torque converter is ******; maybe both are a bad combo in the 04 w/the new ******. All I have to say is no matter how many times the dealership can flash it; its not going to solve the problem.

Bro, my '04 is only about to hit 3k, but gladly I can't say that I have experienced any of that.

My wife when we were dating had a '91 Dakota with 100k that did that. I think she had to have the transmission rebuilt, and it stopped it. I hope that's not your case!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 47000 mi on my Libby and the ****** is fine. I have had no problems and it shifts like butter.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
I have 47000 mi on my Libby and the ****** is fine. I have had no problems and it shifts like butter.
That's probably because he was talking about 04's, you list that you have an '02. They changed the ****** somewhere in '03. Most people have commented that it's smaller, not as rugged and it always hunting for the right gear. I do know that because it's smaller and with the possibility of overheating, they now include the ****** cooler as standard equipment (it was an option on the older "beefier" ******).
Anyways, my '04 auto shifts reasonably well, I don't beat on it, I treat it well, and so far no problems (5200 kms).

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
Ditto my '04 automatic. I'm sure if I'd been asked, I would have chosen the "heavy duty" ****** in the earlier Libertys. Can't complain (so far) about mine, though -- it's impeccable at highway speed, and I haven't noticed any "hunting" in town.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mountain Bob said:
Ditto my '04 automatic. I'm sure if I'd been asked, I would have chosen the "heavy duty" ****** in the earlier Libertys. Can't complain (so far) about mine, though -- it's impeccable at highway speed, and I haven't noticed any "hunting" in town.

Hunting in town always upsets the locals. O:)

Mountain Bob

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Mountain Bob said:
. . . I haven't noticed any "hunting" in town.

Hunting in town always upsets the locals. O:)

Heh-heh --- y'know, grogiefrog, I noticed that one and almost "edited" it, but I knew we'd have more fun with it if I left it hanging . . . (can you spell, "served on a platter" <LOL>}

Actually, though, since we've lost three hunters already this season (two to gunshot, one to a 100 ft fall of the side of the mountain in his truck ), and already lost one horse to a guy who swore he thought it was an elk ...
well, you're probably safer hunting in town than hunting anywhere else 'round here.

New Idaho Hunting Slogan: "Guns don't kill people, morons with guns kill each other. . . and the occasional horse."

(Once was a time when us hunters were all smart enough that you were safer in the woods -- even hunting alone -- than you were driving to the hunt. Anymore these days, with so many bozos in the woods who think buying a deer tag makes them a hunter, I've started staying out of the woods during gun season ... )

2003KJ

Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Automatic - because it was available on the dealers lot at the time :) I dont regret it either, and I thought I would. The 3.7l has enough kick for me, even in automatic. My first automatic vehicle ever.

I agree completely. This is my first automatic as well. Been ALL 5 speeds in the past.