Transmission may be out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runion

Reaction score
I'm keeping the oem shaft. If this after market has a problem I'll rebuild the OEM shaft.
thanks

mikelikesbbq

Reaction score
OK guys, here is were it's at.

the trans place verified the ****** is in need of a rebuild.
I did consider a junk yard replacement however, I am going to use her
for towing long distance, so I think it is in my best interest to have it rebuilt properly.

So many options on the front drive shaft.....
Thanks for that link.
I could rebuild the front and back for about $140 dollars.
I called the auto recycle yard ( The Mens Mall ) and found a slightly
used front drive shaft for about $100, (115000 miles).
The guy across the street said to wait a day and he would look it up.
He come back and said he can get that drive shaft after market
for $132.
going with the aftermarket drive shaft for the same reasons as rebuilding
the ******.
Going this route on the front drive shaft is saving about $600.

She should be on the road in about a week and a half or there abouts.
thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

BTW guys. My Jeep Liberty has about 138000 miles. I had to replace
the shift cable, from the shifter to the ****** because the part that
connects to the transmission wore the plastic end enough to be loose
and it fell off the trans handle (shifter).
It just fell off, no warning, and of course, when that is off, you can't move.
So if you have alot of miles on your Liberty, you might want to check it out.

thanks again, much appreciated.
Glad you found a solution. BTW-if the linkage breaks and strands you, there is a workaround to get you home. You can set the parking brake and put t-case in neutral (or have someone inside the Jeep holding the brakes, put blocks on wheels, push it against a tree, etc.) with it running and climb under and move the lever on the trans by hand to put it in gear. Of course, if you're by yourself and not completely confident in your parking brake or ability to do it safely, call for a tow. If you're in the woods or BFE, use your best judgement, knowing an ambulance won't be quick if you ***** up:).

There was a lady in a restaurant parking lot that snapped hers as she backed out of a parking space and was stuck in neutral in a bad spot that blocked cars from getting in/out. She lived 30+ miles away and was in panic mode as she did not have funds for a tow. A couple of us waiting in line for a table went to assist and once we figured out the issue, we ended up doing that. We gave her clear instructions not to shut the car off and to go straight home, then set the parking brake before shutting it off so it wouldn't roll. She was not a car person so she wrote everything down for her hubby to deal with when she got home. It was a pretty beat up old car so a tow might have exceeded the value. I was glad this young man was there to climb under and put it in gear for her, I am not in the best shape anymore to be wiggling under cars so he saved me some back pain for a few days.

Runion

Reaction score
yes great story.
Mine went fully unexpected.
I drove to the mechanic garage to check on my Rv.
Drove up front, put in park, shut the engine down and got out.
We finished our talking, and I got in, started the Jeep, put the
gear shift lever in Drv and nothing.
He looked at me and asked whats wrong because I didn't move.
I wasn't sure at that point, told him Im shifting but nothing is
happening. He laughed, said He knew what it was, looked under
neath and said my cable was bad.
There is a loop at the end of the cable and it is supposed to tension fit on
the transmission lever. Mine was worn so it just fell off.
replaced and good as new, well for the cable anyway, LOL.

Its in a difficult spot to get at if on the ground, hopefully, this is
one item I will never revisit again.
Thanks.

Runion

Reaction score
Ok guys, The Jeep is fixed. What a nightmare.

I've lost all the tech terms but basically the internals were grinding. They found the filter clogged with metal slivers. It just finally had nothing left to grab onto for any motion.

I bit the bullet and had it rebuilt.

New story though......
I got it back and it was shifting so bad, I thought they messed up. no pick up speed, I was cutting the trucks. and I had a "check engine" light.

Scanned the codes, had a missfire code and oxygen sensors, after the cat, both sides.
THE ONLY HISTORY is the shop said my exhaust needed repair and I had a oxy sensor code.

Only thing I can figure is when they were taking the exhaust system down, the rear exh pipe broke
off of the muffler, the the Oxy sensors banged on something. One tested dead, the other tested really weak.

Replaced both sensors and the bad exh pipe and now all is good.

The forward Drive shaft was a mess. I thought I could rebuild it but I didn't have a lot of time because the transmission was going to be in soon. I ordered what I thought was the right part but received the wrong one. called to deal with this and found they had a after market model for $138. By the way the fellow that warned that they come in different sizes, thanks, I found you are spot on.
And the fellow that warned that OEM is better, I agree, it is more robust, which is why I kept the OEM shaft.
The rebuilt is a bit smaller diameter shaft but is working for now. I will rebuild mine this summer.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited: