Lessons learned with lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct ^^^^^^^^^
I always completely run the nuts off, then run them back up on till end of thread is just about showing , then WHACK AWAY

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to throw in my .02

When I did my lift, Im pretty sure it was the passenger side, I was hitting and hitting and hitting the spindle and the damn thing would not pop out. I had a 3lbs sledge. Out of desperation I took 2 half effort swings at the stud and it popped right out.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct ^^^^^^^^^
I always completely run the nuts off, then run them back up on till end of thread is just about showing , then WHACK AWAY

Funny because peeps are preaching not to whack them with a sledge. Hitting the nut may protect the bottom edge, but could risk damage to the threads still. :Insane:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you insist on hitting the ball joint on the stud itself, at least put a chunk of brass against the end, this will not damage the stud or the threads.
Using the nut method, it is possible to mess up the threads, but only the entry point of the stud. One quick zing with a die...
A ball joint is meant to pivot/rotate... like. a. joint.
Your knees hold up to all sorts of running and running offroad, should we hit them with a hammer? :Stupid Me:

You said, "correct me if I'm wrong".
They're simply trying to correct you lol :Violin:

Last edited:

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for clarification. There are a lot of young peeps on here and if your not specific, someone is going to get in way over there head. I'm just pointing out that there could be some misinformation floating around. I found a way that could work without taking a chance at damaging anything, but some people would rather argue than embrace it. And I'm not the only one it's worked for.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Funny because peeps are preaching not to whack them with a sledge. Hitting the nut may protect the bottom edge, but could risk damage to the threads still. :Insane:

I've never hit the studs, always the side of the knuckle. You back the nut off to the edge to catch the knuckle when it separates. I agree that hitting the stud in anyway is pretty risky.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I read was run the nut off the stud and put it back on. Nothing about hitting it. Was previously stated to hit the flat part of the knuckle that the ball joint sits in on the rearward side. Just a few good whacks and out it comes.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you insist on hitting the ball joint on the stud itself, at least put a chunk of brass against the end, this will not damage the stud or the threads.
Using the nut method, it is possible to mess up the threads, but only the entry point of the stud. One quick zing with a die...
A ball joint is meant to pivot/rotate... like. a. joint.
Your knees hold up to all sorts of running and running offroad, should we hit them with a hammer? :Stupid Me:

You said, "correct me if I'm wrong".
They're simply trying to correct you lol :Violin:

He's still not saying to hit the studs. He's saying, just like i did, to back the nut on so the knuckle doesn't come flying forward as you hit the knuckle and use the vibrations of the hit to loosen the joint.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

You don't hit the ball joint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Install the nut just in case you slip is all
No you will not damage the threads with the nut on due to not enough exposed threads to hit.
I swapped my 04 suspension around at least 50 times plus did around 30 other KJs , never had an issue with the way I do it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just looking for clarification. There are a lot of young peeps on here and if your not specific, someone is going to get in way over there head. I'm just pointing out that there could be some misinformation floating around. I found a way that could work without taking a chance at damaging anything, but some people would rather argue than embrace it. And I'm not the only one it's worked for.

Young peeps need to do what us old timers did and still do.....read
Lots of great information on here and LOST that explains everything.
Read then if you are not sure ask.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found another one for the rear too. Use a scissor jack to jack down the hub and get as much clearance as you need without removing the sway bar. Don't need to remove the upper bump stop either.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Young peeps need to do what us old timers did and still do.....read
Lots of great information on here and LOST that explains everything.
Read then if you are not sure ask.

Absolutely! I've found tons of good stuff. The only problem is old mixed in with new. Find it hard sometimes to get thru it and find the latest and greatest.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
maybe next one I do we'll hire a good looking blond to stand in for me.
Tape the whole thing so everyone has a good idea on the easiest ways we have found

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I could have brought along three or four cute blondes when we did mine in September. You should have said something.