Legitimate Issue with Starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlfpck

Reaction score
Finance had her 06 Jeep Liberty's ignition switch break. Basically the actuator pin inside broke. Dealership gouged us for a $350 labor charge to put one in. She paid already so it's too late for that.

She went to pick up the car today (jeep was at dealership all day yesterday) and they couldn't get the car to start. They're saying that it is the starter. I called and asked if they had started the car after they fixed the ignition switch and they said they did and that they had started it up 4 or 5 times. They then drove the car out and parked it waiting for us to pick it up.

This seems a bit suspicious to me that all of a sudden the starter craps out. Is this legitimate or should I make plans to get the car towed out tomorrow?

Thanks,

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finance had her 06 Jeep Liberty's ignition switch break. Basically the actuator pin inside broke. Dealership gouged us for a $350 labor charge to put one in. She paid already so it's too late for that.

She went to pick up the car today (jeep was at dealership all day yesterday) and they couldn't get the car to start. They're saying that it is the starter. I called and asked if they had started the car after they fixed the ignition switch and they said they did and that they had started it up 4 or 5 times. They then drove the car out and parked it waiting for us to pick it up.

This seems a bit suspicious to me that all of a sudden the starter craps out. Is this legitimate or should I make plans to get the car towed out tomorrow?

Thanks,

Sounds very suspicious that you get this problem right after the actuator is replaced....actuator probably not fitted properly or has broken again.

Turn on the ignition, place in park etc.
Remove the Starter Relay from under the hood.
Identify the female pins 30 and 87 inside the relay socket and briefly jumper these two pins together....hopefully Jeep will turn over and run and you can drive it out of there...put starter relay back in its place while engine is running. If starter does not turn over then check all fuses under the hood....fuses #8 and #28 mainly. If battery sounds sluggish then jump start it and have it checked at a battery shop.

We can then diagnose the problem later.

Latest posts

Members online