Left side (drivers) cylinder head removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puredreamz

Reaction score
Mis fire cyl #1 very low compression i think exhaust valve is stuck open i need to remove the head, but everyone says something different manual says remove cam sprocket and cant see why if its not being replaced.

Step by step procedure for this or someone to clarify

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mis fire cyl #1 very low compression i think exhaust valve is stuck open i need to remove the head, but everyone says something different manual says remove cam sprocket and cant see why if its not being replaced.

Step by step procedure for this or someone to clarify

Yes, the cam sprocket needs to come off the cam in order to get the head off. The timing chain runs down to the crank so there's no way to remove the head with the cam sprocket and chain holding it on there.

Be sure to set the engine at Top Dead Center using the mark on the harmonic balancer and timing cover. Then note that the V6 marker on the cam sprocket has to be at 12 o'clock and the cam rotated to that position before the head is replaced.

Bob

Puredreamz

Reaction score
people have been messaging me saying they have done it with removing the sprocket and it makes sense, even if you loosent the tensioner is should give enough slack to slip over sprocket, cause if its necessary to remove the sprocket the tensioner is pointless.