Leather wrap on steering peels away..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After hot summer last year i noticed the steering wheel starts peeling, not as chunks but as small pieces like shredded, and my hands sweat crazy and i get tiny leather parts. I guess my biggest mistake was to use leather conditioner that I used for the seats. I noticed it says on other vehicles that only mild soap and waters hould be used.. :-k

Is there any way to replace the leather only on the wheel, or do I have to change the whole wheel? airbag, center and all other parts look sharp and no problems and I got speed control and volume control so I don't want to replace it with a plain one. Any ideas? or did anyone else suffer from this as well?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I did. My steering wheel looks like crap. I meant to get it replaced a while ago, but I simply forgot about the appointment, and never went back...

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or did anyone else suffer from this as well?
same here, in less than two months after i brought it home. Texas summers are killer. Since i have the slate grey wheel, it was easy to find one on ebay. I replaced the wheel only, the cruise and radio control switches are on separate plastic peices that you can reuse. The biggest problem is that you have remove everything to get the wheel off...disconnect the battery, pull the airbag off, steering wheel puller, etc. Same steps as the how to for adding steering wheel controls.

I've had no problems so far this summer...but i thought it was because i started using the meguiar's leather conditioner on the wheel. I guess by the end of summer i'll know for sure.

The other option would be buying a wheelskins. Besides not really liking the look, i decided to add the radio controls while i had the wheel apart. However, it looks like its possible to put wheelskins on without removing the steering wheel.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think someone had the Wheelskin.. forgive me for forgetting his name, the white KJ with red inserts and white accents in the cabin, with red/white grille.

I think he had this done, the stitches show a lot if you get colored one. And it should be a pain to get it tight enough on top of eaten-away-leather that's already there.

Marlon, Did they give you a quote at that time?

Boilermaker, I also think it was the leather cleaner that I used it + sun.. If I do get around to replace the wheel, I am getting a sunshade first thing, and never use any cleaner on the wheel.. :-({|=

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Wheelskins. My biggest mistake was getting the Red/White. Its impossible to keep white CLEAN.
You must be registered for see images attach

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i might have to get a sunshade. I have the carcover, but i've never used it, too much of a pain to put on/take off. How about window tinting, will that help any? I'm planning on getting it done anyway. i know i can't get the whole windshield done, but will that help some?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, that was you, sorry billforde.
About the wrap, is it tight, did stiches give you any problems so far? I know some of them move around and get loose over time..

I just ordered the leather samples from them, and will probably buy one if you say it is a good fit other than the color (since I will probably go for black)

Boilermaker, I am not sure about the tinting. I also need to get it done. Since I am over 6' whenever I flap the overhead sunscreen down I can't see anything! I loved the grand cherokee we had (98 or 99) which had the fading tint from top to down about 7-8 inches oem. They stopped doing that for some reason. Windshield sunscreen is your best bet. I bought two so far, non of them fit perfectly, so I returned them.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very tight. After almost a year, it still feel as tight as when i first put it on. It took almost a hour to stitch it on. I actually plan to replace it with a Red/Black one cause i am sick of trying to keep the white area clean.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I am now trying to find out how much new wheel costs..

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right at 6' and the visor is also pretty useless for me, tinting was hopefully going to kill a couple of birds with one stone. I was also hoping it would keep the jeep a little cooler in the summer.

I think i wasn't clear earlier, i think the meguiar's has been keeping the wheel from peeling so far this summer. Another possibility is that the dealership let the jeep sit on the lot with no upkeep for the first half of last summer, and that's why it went to hell so fast after i got it. Either way a sunscreen is a good idea, should help the whole interior look better longer.

If it peels again i'm not going thru pulling the steering wheel again. hyedipin, if you go for the wheelskins, please post your results. Even if a peeling steering wheel is covered under warranty, i have no faith in my local dealership to take care of it without them giving me a problem first.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peeling wheel under warranty? Until what mileage? I have 26k on mine, but believe me if I take it in for a wheel-job, they will say it's not that bad and does not require replacement.. Should I take cheese grader and grade it? These dealers are always well ventilated and unless you have sweaty hands or it is darn hot direct under sun, it won't look like it will peel anymore.. Hard to convince the dealer to replace it.. Again, until what mileage it is covered?

If I can get dealer to do something on it, I will skip on the wheelskins, if not I am getting one pretty soon.

Thanks for the input so far !

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Peeling wheel under warranty? Until what mileage? I have 26k on mine, but believe me if I take it in for a wheel-job, they will say it's not that bad and does not require replacement.. Should I take cheese grader and grade it? These dealers are always well ventilated and unless you have sweaty hands or it is darn hot direct under sun, it won't look like it will peel anymore.. Hard to convince the dealer to replace it.. Again, until what mileage it is covered?

If I can get dealer to do something on it, I will skip on the wheelskins, if not I am getting one pretty soon.

Thanks for the input so far !

covered 3/36, the dealer cant tell you no

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks sprsonic, I will be sure to call them up.. I think dealer should be happy someone is asking for it, they will get the money from the DC anyway, right? What's holding them back.. [-(

dnm45227

Reaction score
We bought the '02 with 40 on the clock, but since then I've been using the armorall leather wipes on it. So far, so good.

Guyute1210

Reaction score
I've got just over 12k on the Odometer, and have had it since last July. My steering wheel still looks new...