Learned a Few Things about the KJ Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive also read that but Ive never gotten over 17 gallons in my liberty. Ive pegged it on E several times.

In my 94 ZJ, when its near E I actually put 23 gallons in it... It has a 23 gallon tank...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 40+ years of driving, I never ran out of gas. It's good practice to pretend that 1/4 tank is empty. Running the gas level way low isn't good for fuel pump life either. It's an electric motor, and being submerged in fuel has a cooling effect.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, 88 out of Binghamton is pretty desolate all the way to Schenectady. Always love having light traffic until it starts to feel post-apocalyptic.

I wish I had the 20.5 gallon. Not sure it was even available in the 02.

I think in 02 the KJ started out with an 18.5 gal tank and somewhere along the way went to a 20.5 gal tank (possibly in 05 as that is what mine is). It should be in your owners manual if you have one.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Just went back and re-searched my manual (PDF) and there it was on page 157 near the end of the "understanding your instrument cluster" section. 2.7 gallons is a pretty good buffer! With my 18+mpg that'll give me about 50 miles.

Don't count on it. I was driving back to Cleveland from Youngstown late one night and the "E" light came on. I was about twenty-five miles away and figured I could fill up near home. The farther I went down the road the more it bugged me so I finally pulled off at an exit and filled it up. 20.4 Gallons of gas later...

Of course, this being Cleveland somebody might have gotten paid off and the pump could have been rigged to add 10% to whatever you actually put in there. The guy whose name (and picture) was on the "Certified" sticker ran into a little trouble soon afterward. People were drawing vertical bars over his face on the stickers as a joke before they finally got them all scraped off and replaced. The new stickers did NOT include anyone's picture... :happy175:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't count on it. I was driving back to Cleveland from Youngstown late one night and the "E" light came on. I was about twenty-five miles away and figured I could fill up near home. The farther I went down the road the more it bugged me so I finally pulled off at an exit and filled it up. 20.4 Gallons of gas later...

Of course, this being Cleveland somebody might have gotten paid off and the pump could have been rigged to add 10% to whatever you actually put in there. The guy whose name (and picture) was on the "Certified" sticker ran into a little trouble soon afterward. People were drawing vertical bars over his face on the stickers as a joke before they finally got them all scraped off and replaced. The new stickers did NOT include anyone's picture... :happy175:

That is unless you have same issue I have with my KJ and filling it up. It doesn't click until it literally hits the nozzle. I found out the awful way when I thought I could squeeze another gallon for top off and ended up with a surprise.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I think in 02 the KJ started out with an 18.5 gal tank and somewhere along the way went to a 20.5 gal tank (possibly in 05 as that is what mine is). It should be in your owners manual if you have one.
Dave
In my situation your 20.5 tank would have carried me to the gas station.
I have the 19.5 gallon tank & ran out about 10 miles to the nearest station! Dang! :icon_lol:
Now if the sticker that came with My Jeep was actually true, I would have made it too!
53288[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Gosh I get maybe 16 on the hwy with a tail wind!~ :happy175:

Attachments

• Jeep%20Gas%20Mileage%20Sticker.jpg
    Jeep%20Gas%20Mileage%20Sticker.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. My actual consumption is still bad no mater what. Lifted, skids, tires, not geared, lots o gear, basket etc.
My tank is 19.5 US gallons is where it starts from.
Changes were made in Canada's testing in 2014 to more reflect real world driving conditions or closer to the testing performed in the USA.
There were lots of news breaking stories about Canada's stickers proven to be off by aprox 33%..= eek.
In other words, the BS 28 MPG in reality is 33% less or 18.76 MPG (closer to real life numbers of what we should get)

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tank is pretty sketchy when it comes to filling up. Left the pump on "autopilot" while I checked the oil. Got looking around inside my rig for something and I heard a ghetto kid yelling "dang hurry cuz, switch it off switch, it off. Dat ***** is flowin' son, do somethin fast it's not gonna give up." I'm like wtf is this dude on.... Then I realize I pumped about a gallon and a half into the ground. It was hard to not laugh at the dude though, but I'm sure he felt the same. Moral of the story, Jeeps do not like gas pumps. They either take forever to fill up, or will overflow.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My light comes on with 4 gallons left. :shrug: Huge reserve fuel capacity if you ask me. Never filled more than 17.5 out of the 19.5 gallon tank.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
have never been able to put over 15 gallons in mine , but have never seen the gas light come on but one time. Gets to 1/4 tank I fill up ( most times half a tank) I also carry a NATO can full on the back as well most of the time for longer trips for that just in case I missed a gas station time.
Never had mine overflow either in 10 years 11 months of owning it, fills up, clicks off and done

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to get more than 16.5, even after riding with the light on for awhile. When I did my fuel filter my plan was to run about 20 miles after the light came on to make it easier. When I went to drop the tank there was like 4 or 5 gallons left, which was surprising. I did run out of gas once, 67 miles after the light came on. Was on the road and there was absolutely no stores open that time of night. It shut of right as I was turning in, but luckily I was able to coast to the pump. That could've gotten bad in a hurry.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never run my '05 that low. I try never to get below ¼ tank.

It was just the '06 or '07 I rented and only because I stupidly thought that gas stations along an interstate might be open...and I wasn't filling the tank in a cold monsoon.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure gauges, temp gauges, even the new TPMS tire pressure gauges, are usually spot on. GAS gauges are, and have always been more of an approximation.

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a lot of stop-and-go city driving yesterday, 90 degrees so running A/C all day. Kept meaning to get gas, but you know how it goes...

Anyway, put 17.1 gallons in it after dinner - and I've never put that much in mine before. I thought I had about a 16 gallon tank because I've run with the low fuel light on for a while and still could only put in about 15.5.

Maybe I should follow some of you and put in fuel when it gets to 1/4 tank :shrug:

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as noted earlier the fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump so I normally fuel up when I have 1/2 a tank. Keeps the fuel pump running cooler. A fuel pump in the tank like most vehicles today is a pain to change in my opinion anyway.

I let it run down to empty one time on a trip and it made me nervous looking for an exit with gas stations.

Dave

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never let her get too low quarter tank or so. Funny thing is i over filled last week trying to fit the extra two dollars i had left after the click. Got a dollar and a half in before it started spraying out.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Years back I had a 1990 Ranger - 16.0 gallon fuel tank. Pulled into the lcoal gas station knowing I was on fumes and got almost 17 gallons in it. Clerk didn't like me asking how it was possible that such a thing could happen.