Leaking head... something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a top end rebuild on my 2002 Liberty Sport a week ago, new gaskets from the heads up, had the heads machined and pressure tested. Everything is a-ok. But I started leaking water, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Today a friend and I had a look and found a very minor leak on the passenger side head, at the front, where the 2 small bolts are. It was just kinda bubbling from that bolt. I KNOW the bolts were all torqued properly. I see no way at all to get the gasket on wrong. What the heck did I do wrong. I am disabled and can't handle much of the heavy lifting and crap, so he will be coming over maybe weekend after next to help me rip it apart and see what is going on. Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new head bolts, everything. Torqued to specs in FSM. Think it was 20 ft-lbs, then 90*, the another 90*, in sequence each time. Did it all step by step by FSM.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is amiss then. You made sure everything was spotlessly clean on the block? Was there any pitting on the deck of the block? Probably should have bought a straight edge and checked the deck for warpage, though its not normally a problem.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything was clean, no pitting, wondering if it's possible that I just didn't seat the gasket properly. A friend and I are gonna be pulling it back apart in a few days to see.

Latest posts

Members online