Leakage up Front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a couple spots on the ground and looked under the Jeep. I can see some fluid has leaked onto the Engine Skid and dripped through the open hole on the skid. However, I'm not sure what is leaking. It doesn't smell like Anti-Freeze/Coolant nor is it Transmission fluid color. It might be oil but it doesn't stain the ground (evaporates after 1 day). I did find that I have a nasty build up of grease/oil right where the driveshaft enters the pig (in the front). Could I have a bad seal up there and its letting fluid through? I'll take pictures later today after work.

Any suggestions would help!! I need to pull the engine skid to definitely get a good look.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
If its not leaving a stain its gota be water from the ac. All the other fluids would leave a stain!

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maladoguy:maybe it's the airco compressor? This holds some light oil too so...
Nope, as stated above, it's most likely water from the A/C. Any kind of oil would leave a stain....

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if I do not use my A/C? I mean I typically don't turn it on even when its 90 outside. Just love driving with the windows/sunroof open. It has probably been over a week since I have turned on the A/C.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Believe me guys, I've never seen Phil use his A/C. Now if it was ME on the other hand, yes you could tell me that it was A/C condensation. :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
My thought is it's differential oil.

My rear differential has been leaking for quite some time, and if I dont drive it for a couple of days, it will leave a couple of faint stains on the concrete or garage floor, but it's not nearly as dark as say a motor oil or ****** fluid stain.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
If you turn your defrost on i am pretty shure the compressor is running at least it has on other vehicles I have owned. Not shure just a thought! Its got to be cond. from the ac everything else would leave a stain let us know when you find out for shure.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^, correct.

I have a leaky front pinion seal on mine right now phil so its very likely thats what it is. I only have 30k too. It will leave a drip or two every so often.

They are very common to go bad on jeeps it seems. My brother had to have his front pinion seal replaced also on his cherokee.

Its not a very expensive repair at all. I wouldnt pay more than $150-200 since its a $5-10 part.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, are you parking on concrete? Concrete will soak the oil up and not leave a stain if the oil is clean. Front diff oil usually is.

Put your finger in it and smell it. If it smells sweet then its diff oil

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy.....your jeep is not leaking - it is just marking it's territory. :D

When mine does that it is just condensation from the a c.

Dave

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT DOES SMELL SWEET!! and like I mention there is a lot of gunk build up in the diff area. HERE are PICS:

LEAKAGE ON THE GROUND:
You must be registered for see images attach

VIEW FROM FRONT DIFFERENTIAL. THAT IS THE STUFF LEAKING THAT IS ALL OVER MY DIFF RING AND IT ALSO IS SITTING ON TOP OF THE SKID. I WILL REMOVE SKID ON LABOR DAY.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've never seen one leak like THAT before. I wonder if it's caused by the pressure due to that experimental diff collar everybody thinks is going to save the D30a?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, bad pinion seal. Mine doesnt look that bad, Ive only seen a drop or two so far. Ive checked the fluid level twice and its still at the fill plug so Im not to worried.

I would be sure to check the fluid level since it looks like its been leaking for awhile.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, bad pinion seal. Mine doesnt look that bad, Ive only seen a drop or two so far. Ive checked the fluid level twice and its still at the fill plug so Im not to worried.

I would be sure to check the fluid level since it looks like its been leaking for awhile.

Okay so check the fluids to ensure I have a good amt. Then what do I do? Rack n Pinion shop? Or my local corner shop can handle it?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the fill plug is on the front of the diff and just takes a 1/4 ratchet to get it off. Stick your pinky finger in the hole and you should be able to touch the fluid by bending the first joint on your finger down. If you cannot feel it, get a quart of 75-140syn and top it off till you get a chance to get it fixed.

I would call a local dealership and get a quote on getting the front pinion seal replaced. Just remember, its under a $10 part, so base your decision off of that. After getting that, call around to some other small shops that you trust and see what they would charge.

Its not a hard job at all, and any corner mechanic shop that you trust should be able to handle something like that.

If you have a ****** skid(I see that your have a front skid), they may charge you to take it off if they are stupid. So it may be a good idea to take those off while youre under there checking the level.

Haha, that diff collar may confuse them too. I dont see a need in taking it off but make sure its still on there when you pick it up from the place that fixes it.

:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmmm....wonder if this is going to be a common issue on the KJ. I base this on the fact that neither of you wheel yours hard at all....

45K and no leaks (other than the rear differential)....at least for now...

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, Phew. I thought this was gonna be a huge $$$$ thing. Seems like everything wants a piece of my cake :(

I will be dropping the skid tomorrow morn and I'll take some pics. I will also check the fluids.