KYB GR-2/KYB Gas-A-Just or Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishin'liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna start getting some products to do a lift and was looking into the KYB Gas shocks and struts. They don't make the Gas-A-Just for the front only the rear. So I was thinking of getting the GR-2 Liberty struts for the front and the Gas-A-Justs Durango shocks for the rear. I know they won't be as good as the rancho's were (beating myself for selling the set I had when I needed cash) but my question is do you think the KYB setup would be worse, as good, or better than just going with the bilsteins?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Gas-A-Just shocks for Durango on the rear of my KJ. I liked the ride with them. They did a good job. But I blew one running Daystar lift and then Rusty's springs. I replaced them with Bilstein and Skyjacker springs, and the ride is awesome. I think the biggest improvement was the springs. And I just wanted the front to match the rear shocks... I think they are a good shock for the money.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Gas-A-Just shocks for Durango on the rear of my KJ. I liked the ride with them. They did a good job. But I blew one running Daystar lift and then Rusty's springs.

no
you blew them by not having the correct bump stop spacing
I feel like a broken record
shocks fail in 1 of a few ways
-over compression (wrong bump stop length)
-seal failure (mfg defect or old age)

now I do know that off road use will kill shocks faster than
just road use
and some are better than others

That being said
I will ,when I get the funds or absolute need, only run 1 of 2 shocks on my TJ
OME or Bilstein
and I will have the proper length bump stop no matter what shock I use

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, you are right. I did not install the rear bumpstops in the beginning like I should have. However, I have them on there now with the new Bilstein shocks. Oops....