KK wheels on KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nomorework

Reaction score
Will 17inch KK wheels fit my 04 KJ ! Trying to fit 245/75/17 inch tires without using adaptors.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that is a 32 inch tall tire , right ?
245-75-16 is an inch shorter , not much until you try to install them
and then there is the gearing issue

KKs have same bolt pattern but thinking we ran into an issue where the KKs center bore was smaller than the KJ
let me check
I know KJs will go on KKs

nomorework

Reaction score
Going to address one thing at a time, trying to sort out wheel and tire combination, then move on to gears.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do realize that is a 32 inch tall tire , right ?
245-75-16 is an inch shorter , not much until you try to install them
and then there is the gearing issue

KKs have same bolt pattern but thinking we ran into an issue where the KKs center bore was smaller than the KJ
let me check
I know KJs will go on KKs

From a quick search, seems both the KJ and KK have a 71.5 center bore.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to address one thing at a time, trying to sort out wheel and tire combination, then move on to gears.

Hopefully no hills around
When I first went to 32s on the 04 I was ready to sell the tires 3rd day out
Running down interstate all it wanted to do is shift back and forth
ended up running about 130 miles with OD kick off just to maintain the power
then gas mileage dropped
Thought the week would never end so I could get the new diffs under it with 4.10s

nomorework

Reaction score
Might as well get all my questions answered at once. Has anybody had experience with 17 inch Wrangler wheels and tires. I know it would involve adapter and spacers.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 255/75/17 with no noticeable power loss, anything I did lose was negligible..that includes going up and down mountains and 4wheelin weekly and daily driving...4.10 great upgrade, but you'll be fine until you regear

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well get all my questions answered at once. Has anybody had experience with 17 inch Wrangler wheels and tires. I know it would involve adapter and spacers.
I'm not a fan of adaptors bro,but that's just personal preference but if installed correctly and from a good brand you should be fine

nomorework

Reaction score
What do you have for a lift? I just had a Frankenlift installed. Any pictures of your Jeep?

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you have for a lift? I just had a Frankenlift installed. Any pictures of your Jeep?
Theres a few pics out there, I have the rockfather II with 2 upper iso in the back and trim packer up front from RRO ,love that kit regardless of what you might read,company has been good to me and my jeeps
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
to me

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run 255/75/17 with no noticeable power loss, anything I did lose was negligible..that includes going up and down mountains and 4wheelin weekly and daily driving...4.10 great upgrade, but you'll be fine until you regear

COMMON SENSE , you need to regear
engine runs below the RPMs it needs to run efficiently
transmission runs hotter since there is extra slippage etc
4.10s are not even low enough gears for 32s really
TJKJ2002 ( TROY ) AND I DISCUSSED THIS YEARS AGO, 32S ON THE kj REQUIRE 4.35s OR SO REALLY TO BE IN THE POWER BAND AND RUN GOOD WITHOUT ANY OTHER ISSUES ( I think that is what it worked out to)

Ask any people/ companies etc who builds 4x4s if larger tires do indeed require a regear
anyone who says otherwise ................

Last edited:

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COMMON SENSE , you need to regear
engine runs below the RPMs it needs to run efficiently
transmission runs hotter since there is extra slippage etc
4.10s are not even low enough gears for 32s really
TJKJ2002 ( TROY ) AND I DISCUSSED THIS YEARS AGO, 32S ON THE kj REQUIRE 4.35s OR SO REALLY TO BE IN THE POWER BAND AND RUN GOOD WITHOUT ANY OTHER ISSUES ( I think that is what it worked out to)

Ask any people/ companies etc who builds 4x4s if larger tires do indeed require a regear
anyone who says otherwise ................

Right on man,glad your running your kj as efficiently as possible,my point is I got over 90k miles on this size tires and my gas mileage dropped I can live with that, my engine and ****** never run hot and I live in Az ..nobody is arguing the regear, but that shouldnt stop somebody from running bigger tires on their KJ cuz the jeep will be fine without the regear from my experience...you like to discourage people from doing things if it isnt done your way or how you feel it needs to be done. It's a forum give people the knowledge and your opinion and leave it at that. You gave him yours I gave him mine, leave it at that. Regardless if you think you your word is gospel. Trust me your not the only one that enjoys their rig,just different ways of getting to where you want them to be.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Over 125,000 miles on my 04 KJ with 4.5 inches of lift, 32s , 4.10s etc
NOW it is NOT me just preaching it or wanting everyone to do it my way
It is doing something the right way
The way 1000s of 4x4 owners build theirs when adding lifts , larger tires
You keep bringing up my way
Just because I do not folks to have issues, or come back saying why did no one tell me that
Of course there are different ways but there are also ways to better enjoy your ride and make them last
Problem is newbies ask the right thing. want to do it right, then..........
If nomorework wants to only listen to your way
then good luck to him
but down the road he is going to say, boy I wish I would of listened

nomorework

Reaction score
Latest wrinkle in my story I might have located a set of 16 inch Moab wheels

nomorework

Reaction score
Picked up 4 black wheels and BFG 235/75/16 tires from a 2012 KK this morning hopefully putting them on my KJ tomorrow! This should finally solve my wheel/tire search once and for all !

Last edited: